Trailer Weights

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Grassl B.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Trailer Weight

Post by Grassl B. »

Well Masked Rider, I used a beam scale, nylon straps, and a chain hoist. I used a fish scale to weigh the tongue, was rather simple!
The Masked Rider
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by The Masked Rider »

I think I know the scale your talking about. At least if its the one like we had on the ranch year ago. Forgot about them things. The only beam scale I know of today are the ones in the doctors office that ALWAYS lie to you. :lol: You are talking about one that hangs from the beam, yes, or are you talking about the very large floor model which is also called a beam scale? We had both. All I remember about both of them is TOO MUCH WORK. Never had a childhood. I was either going to school or working on the ranch. :-( Man, these kids now a days haven't got a clue.
Fritz

As always, this is just the ramblings of an old fart.
WingNutLori
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Honda Goldwing GL 1500

Post by WingNutLori »

I guess I'll have you guys take a look at my rig. I attached the chains ("X"-style), and left just enough slack to allow turning. Maybe it's the location of the loops that the chains hook onto, but there is just no way to keep the trailer tongue up off the ground. Hmmmm...
I want to live my life in such a way
that when my feet hit the floor in the morning,
Satan shudders and says...
"Oh crap... she's awake!"

1990 Honda GL1500 - Burgundy/Gray
http://www.keystonewings.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

WingNutLori wrote: there is just no way to keep the trailer tongue up off the ground. . .
Hey WindNutLori,
That might just be true considering that the tow vehicle and trailer are both close to the ground. With the camper I twist the chains a few times to take up the slack but leave enough so that turns are without issue. With the bike being so close to the road surface, then you may not be able to achieve the desired out come but do try to come as close as possible with out causing problems for your self.
I have never pulled anything with a bike so I can’t provide testimony other than for the truck/camper combo.
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Grassl B.

Post by Grassl B. »

Masked Rider I used the one that hangs from the beam -weighs up to 300 lb's .
Rick L
Current bike(s): 99 Voyager
95 Gold Wing SE

Re: Trailer Weights

Post by Rick L »

Not sure how the other state laws read, but I did some research for Texas.
It may be splitting hairs, but the law mentions every vehicle except motorcycles when establishing requirements for safety chains on trailers. However I do have chains on my trailer I pull with motorcycles & I cross the chains as W_D describes. One thing I have considered is instead of crossing them is to connect the 2 chains together , just behind the trailer coupler using a threaded "master link" Chains would be in an "H" pattern. This would work in a similar fashion as crossing them but would be in the right place to catch the tounge if it does come off the m/c.
And another question comes to mind that I've kicked around for quite a while & that is would I want the trailer to stay with me if it did come loose from the bike? I've considered going to a lighter weight chain that would break away.
The country that forgets it's defenders, will itself be forgotten.
Rick Londagin
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

Rick L wrote:I've considered going to a lighter weight chain that would break away.
Rick, by going to a lighter/break-away chain you completely remove yourself from the sole purpose of having chains to begin with. Why not just take them off if Texas doesn't require them? :?:
2001 Voyager XII
Rick L
Current bike(s): 99 Voyager
95 Gold Wing SE

Post by Rick L »

Have considered that, but do travel thru other states (Okla, New Mexico, Colorado) mostly & 1 or 2 of them state in their law flat out about safety chains being required. But still there is no mention anywhere, even in the Federal transportaion code about the load rating of chains for non-commercial trailers that I have found.
I use them, but it's still a gut feel that I wouldn't want to be attached to the trailer by chains if anything was to separate from the hitch.
I guess I use them for visual effect.
The country that forgets it's defenders, will itself be forgotten.
Rick Londagin
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

I know this has been kicked around a tad bit before, but, figured I'd add my thoughts:

In my opinion, the chains provide for two functions. 1. keeps it from becoming a missile or hazard to other traffic. 2. Allows you to maintain control so you and your trailer don't get trashed.

I know some will contest #2. #1 is the reason most states require them.

I can personally attest to #2. Yes, I failed to hitch up properly to my bike and about a hundred miles later, after encountering a massive pothole, the trailer and bike separated. However, I was able to maintain control and pulled over to the side of the road. After a moment of silent composing, I just reattached the trailer, and securely locked the coupler (hint, hint), and we were off on our way again.

I think a responsible rider should use the chains, and use them properly.

Bill
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
LASER917

Post by LASER917 »

Scott
You may want to read this.
http://liaison.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/ ... ch=21&rl=7
I know it doesn't specify motorcycle, but I would bet an LEO would.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

Laser,
I'm with you on this one, the chains serve a very important purpose and regardless if they are state required or not I use them. And use them properly. The chains that came on my trailers were strong enough, one of my daughters & her husband bought an older pop-up that needed the chains replaced. I can guarantee you that the replacements were stronger than required. For a mere few more dollars their safety was well worth it.
Use them if you got them, if not get some and learn how to properly use them! Safety can not be discounted!
2001 Voyager XII
napper II

Post by napper II »

Hi all !! New to this so bear with me. Desperately seeking help with my 1990 Napper II popup camper. Bought it used and it has the add on 6x6 room enclosure. The room just wont set up right Previous owner says all poles, etc are there but cant get it to support itself right or make it snug to where the wind or rain wont have a field day. Even experimented with extra tent poles and such to try anything that works. Any info if the company still exists with contact info or personal help from someone who can help walk me thru would be greatly appreciated. Need to have it figured out before my trip at end of april to Merlefest in N. Carolina Thanks, Napper II/Boose Rochester, NY
Charlie from Illinois

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

I have a piggy-backer trailer I just got this winter. One thing I don't understand is how you keep the tongue weight constant. If your cooler is loaded or even 1/2 full. What happens when that weight is reduced by consumption or less ice. It seems that the cooler would put a fair amount of weight on the tongue. As far as the chains go. I have them about as tight as I can and if you wiggle the trailer around the tongue falls out of the X and onto the ground. The height of the hitch is just not enough to allow it to just fall into the X and not the ground. With tension on the chain it will stay up but as your speed reduces, or you brake, the tongue will hit the ground no matter what.

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”