need info on hitch/ photo's anyone

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

need info on hitch/ photo's anyone

Post by ekap1200 »

Well I finally purchaced a getaway trailer, Not the pop up we had been looking for. But since we have camping gear we decided to do a cargo trailer. It is used and in great shape and the cost was much lower than building our own when we factored in the independant suspension and lights and so on. I can finally use a cot instead of laying on the ground. And the wife can carry a few things ...LOL. Does anyone have any pics of the hitch for a 2000. I work for a fab/machine shop and was pondering fabing one myself. Material spec's are not a problem just the connection points to the bike frame. I have until next years vacation to get it ready and paint the trailer. Also how does the voyager handle in the rain pulling one. I had really bad weather this year, and was very leary the first hundred or so miles but it handled well. The older I get the more I worry about being laid up out of work. Gene Kap.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: need info on hitch/ photo's anyone

Post by Bill O »

Ekap1200,
If you look at the Voyager 1200 Tech Section, I believe you will find the pdf file for the Markland Trailer hitch for the 1200 Voyager. It should show the attaching points for the Markland Hitch. Many other hitches use these same connecting points. The Markland Hitch is the most common hitch. Markland made Platform Hitches for many bikes. The Platform is virtually the same for all early Markland applications. Have a look see if it is what you are looking for.

The other two most familiar hitches for the Voyager are the Hitch Doctor and the Marvella's hitch. Both of very good quality. The Hitch Doctor utilizes a vertical receiver hitch bar, and the Marvella's uses a horizontal receiver hitch bar.

Here is a picture of the Hitch Doctor hitch.

This is the Marvella's Hitch.

If I needed a new hitch, I would opt for the Marvella's. For the price of @ $160, why go through the hasstle of making one. Just my 2c worth.

Bill O

P.S. I have a '94 with a Markland Hitch and an '03 with a Hitch Doctor.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: need info on hitch/ photo's anyone

Post by ekap1200 »

Bill, thanks for the photo, the Marvella's the one I need. the trailer came with that style reciever and ball. Looks very easy to fab. We have enough scrap stock in house to make that up. A penny saved is a penny earned ! . I can use the 160 towards new tires for this trailer. I has been sitting in a garage for a few years so I don't know the condition of the rubber. We are heading down to GA in a few weeks to pick it up. Some people would say its a hassle, but I work with metal all day long. Thanks again Gene from Jersey
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”