Homemade I-Pod attachment cable

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

jrob
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Homemade I-Pod attachment cable

Post by jrob »

I picked up my bike a month ago and the dealer has absoultly no information on any accessories from Kaw. I have made a make shift Ipod connector to fit into the aux connection (three prong). Works but can't use the bike controls to operate the Ipod. Rode 2000 miles through West Virgina, Virgina and Tenn and was glad to have the Ipod.
the1king

Re: I-Pod Attacment

Post by the1king »

jrob wrote:I picked up my bike a month ago and the dealer has absoultly no information on any accessories from Kaw. I have made a make shift Ipod connector to fit into the aux connection (three prong). Works but can't use the bike controls to operate the Ipod. Rode 2000 miles through West Virgina, Virgina and Tenn and was glad to have the Ipod.
On the Aux plug there are 3 wire colours, Blue, Green and Yellow. I assume one is a common negative, and the other 2 would be either left or right channel.
Would you mind sharing which of the 3 Aux connection wires you hooked up to which of the 1/8" male plug (MP3 player headphone outlet plug) contacts ie when you look at the 1/8" plug there are 3 contacts. 1) tip, 2) center, 3) bottom

jrob

Re: I-Pod Attacment

Post by jrob »

I have an Ipod Shuffle and bought a jack cable at Best Buy for $10, three short pieces of 22 gauge wire and fork slotted crimp connectors (cut off one prong). Cut one end off of the Ipod jack and stripped the wires back. Twisted the sheild wire for the ground (connect to green wire on plug), the other two wires are for left and right channels and can be connected in either one. I also used a small dowle rod to keep the wire separated and wrapped electrical tape around it. Primitive but functional. Good luck.
crank67

Re: Homemade I-Pod attachment cable

Post by crank67 »

I'm not home at the moment and am only going off what I remember reading on another site... but if I'm remembering correctly, the connector inside the fairing of the voyager is 4 pronged. If you look at the end of the USB connector that connects the ipod to your computer for syncing it has 4 pins. Looking at http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml it specifies which pins correspond to what function. Pin 1 is VCC, is red and +5VDC. Pin 2 is D-, is white and Data -, Pin 3 is D+, is Green and Data+ and Pin 4 is Gnd, is black and Ground. Seems simple enough to me that four pins match up with four prongs and it's that simple.... I'll play around with it when I get home tomorrow night and see if it works. It honestly can't be "THAT" complicated....lol

Just hope I don't blowup my retirement gift from my wife... :oh:
crank67

Post by crank67 »

Well, apparently it's a little more difficult that it seems....LOL. But I haven't totally given up just yet...
crank67

Post by crank67 »

Okay, I give up :dm: ...... it sure seemed simple but I just can't seem to get it. Took jrob's idea and made a cable. I went to pep boys and got some male fittings. I soldered the wires to the male fittings then used shrink wrap to protect them from each other incase they touched. Works better than the FM modulator....

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”