ready to pull

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: ready to pull

Post by Bill O »

MTN99 wrote:Gene,
Also to answer your other question on brake pads, I check em before any long trip and always have 2 sets in the saddle bag. EBC FA-85 have been good for me. I haven't changed mine yet but the S/S brake lines are said to really improve responce...

Hope this helps... Ride Safe
TC, I'm with you on the SS lines. The difference on the front breaks with the Stainless Steel lines is awesome. Rears are much better, but my feet aren't as calibrated as my hands, so I can only say "better" with the rear SS lines. Also, I only use EBC FA-85 pads, if at all possible. I also carry one or two sets with me, at all times. If I don't use them on a trip, they are always available for my com-padre's, if needed! FA-85HH pads are designed for racing applications. They work good, but I could feel them gnawing on my rotors. They came off, lickety split!

Gene, The best advise I can give is to "practice". Parking lots with a test loaded trailer will reap much knowledge. The best advice for pulling a trailer is..... give yourself some extra room! Pulling is actually the easy part, breaking will feel different. Adjusting to a loaded trailer won't take long to get accustomed to, just give yourself the extra distance for breaking. Taking off from a stop also requires just a bit more finesse. You won't be able to goose it like before. But, it won't take much to master the take-off's. A cargo trailer will not be that difficult, at all. If you step up to a tent-trailer, then the packing and weight management becomes more noticeable. A tent trailer is usually about 300-350lbs dry, and they usually have enough storage room to really get stupid on the weight. I know, I have pulled really heavy a few times. (I guess 2 color TV is just a tad bit, too much!) The convenience of the room in a trailer or camper can get out of hand!, But when used sparingly, you can really set up for a great road, or camping trip!

I used to be a back packer. I have gone back to that mentality when it comes to packing my motorcycle trailer, whether it be a camper or cargo trailer. #1 rule...... If you didn't use something the previous few trips with your trailer, you probably don't need to tote it with you, anymore. You will have to decide on your own packing list. #2 rule...... leave room for the things momma will buy along the way! (Barg's Red Creme Soda is only important based on distance and availability!, right, Chris?)

Make no mistake about it, bike touring with a trailer can be, and usually is, a wonderful experience. Just, learn your bike & trailer limitations, and you'll have a great time out there! Don't forget, you will loose some of that great Voyager gas mileage. When pulling my Aspen camper, I usually get about 33mpg. The smaller trailers don't take away as much.

A personal note: I could not see myself traveling anywhere, on my bikes, without one of my trailers!!!!!! It is another world of moto-traveling.....

Bill O

Gene, Your adventure awaits you!

Pacific Ocean, CA

Whitebird Pass, ID

PCH (Pacific Coast Highway), CA

Lee Vining, CA

Security, CO

Garden of the Gods, C. Springs, CO

Central, UT

Mount St, Helens, WA

Lewiston, ID
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Thanks to everyone who has given me advise on this project. The safety chains are on and I'm ready for a nice day to take her out. Was cold tonight so I didn't pull her out to get some photos of the finished job. But the pics are soon to be posted. Cleaned the trailer up and waxed it, and may not get it painted this year, or at all, cleaned up nicely. Sure will be nice to have with me all those items that make camping a pleasurable experience, not just a camp site to save money and wake up feeling sore and missing the hotel room. Last camp site I stayed at was riddled with surface roots everwhere and felt like I was sleeping on a log pile. Would have slept on the picinic table but it was covered with a layer of pancake syrup and jelly. Last two nights on the way home were spent in 5star Marriot hotels. Yes it hurt the wallet but sure felt good. This past summer I done the dragon and stayed at Kick Stand Lodge in NC, never even set the tent up. Stayed in the bunk house, partied all night and rode the twisties on the days it didn't rain. Looking forward to the trailering experience! Gene Kap.
PS ya'll have a happy newyear :cold:
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser
Been liked: 0

Post by MTN99 »

Morning Gene,

Like Bill O said Practice makes perfect (well almost) If you can't dig out the camp gear yet and want to have a loaded experience (uh..no not that :!! ) just toss in a couple of full Ice chests, couple of heavy coats, and bottles of H2o in the Tongue ice chest to ballance and find a empty parking lot. In your mind set yourself up a course with some tight turns, straight runs ect. Make use of obstacles like curbs, bumper blocks, pot holes & other road hazards..
Also get into practicing parking.... I know, I know, you think I"m nutz... "practice how to park", :hmm: well you can't always get that spot that you can pull straight thru so you'll need to be prepaired for anything. There have been times that it was easier to unhook and get parked and then hook back up, (easy to do with a ballanced load..) Backing up with the short tongue is challenging as well...
Do some runs to see how the brakes feel, (straight as well as turning.) You'll see how the dynamics of that extra wt pushing you feels..... Just take it easy.. Do stops and starts on hills as well as on flats.

You'll get the hang of it fast and Like Bill O said "It is another world of moto-traveling....
Gene, Your adventure awaits you! :clap:

Look forward to meeting up some time..... :thmup:
Now Retired

Ride Safe & Remember.... ATGATT
Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Well no riding for me this weekend, snow and sleet here in south jersey. but here is the trailer finally ready for a run. Not to pleased with the trailer cord routing but I think I have some time to sort it out..
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

:thmup: Top notch job!
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

ekap1200 wrote:Well no riding for me this weekend, snow and sleet here in south jersey. but here is the trailer finally ready for a run. Not to pleased with the trailer cord routing but I think I have some time to sort it out..

Gene, I would love some detailed, close up pictures, of that coupler of yours. I do some fabrication with trailers and am intrigued with the looks of your. Is that a Heim type tongue on the trailer? I am working on (Refurbishing) an older Motorvation Back Pack trailer w/ 10" Spoke wheels, that uses a Heim connector on the tongue. (note: the only company I am aware of still using Heim Tongue Connectors, is Bushtec). Short of buying a Heim Hitch Pin with Lock from them(@ $180.00), I have been perusing Ebay and the net for a number of years and have always been a day late or a dollar short on a removable hitch pin.. If you know what I mean!

Anyhow, the final pic sure looks good. I also like your chain set up. Looks like you have plenty of turning slack, and I like your secondary hook up of the chain. Just one suggestion for your electrical... I have used a small bungee, secured to the cable and the tongue, to support the electrical cable off the pavement or road hazards, but provides for good movement. I have dragged a cable or two, in my day....

So, how 'bout it buddy, some nice close ups????? Please!!!!!

Bill O

P.S. Also, curious minds want to know....... Give us a look at that trailer!!!!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Hello Bill, thats a 1999 GETAWAY trailer out of Canada. Pics to follow tomorrow. Yes its a heim joint connector and I'll post a better pic and an autocad drawing in bitmap format with the dimensions . Simple enough to fab on a manual lathe, using about 3" of 1.5 cold rolled round stk. and the pins are available at any tractor supply store. the heim joint threads into a block installed in the tongue tube and a nut is welded at its end inside the tube should the thread ever fail. But if I ever lay it down I have 360deg of swivel. If you look at the secondary chain, I have one chain connector to the wiring and I'm going to pick up a second one and install it on the primary chain and to the harness to keep the rearward end of the harness supported. I cut some links out of the secondary after this pic and the way it sets now the hitch can't pull out of the reciever if it's pin should work loose and fall out. and with the primary safetys, the way they are now they chinch up without letting the tongue hit the rear wheel if the heim joint ever comes off its pin. The pin has the same size bolt as a ball hitch. I turned mine upside down to get the right tongue height and then welded on the safety chain connection out of 3/16 * 1 * 3.25 with two .256 holes drilled in the ends.
Your pics you sent me got me started on all of this, the more I looked at the two hitch bars the more I got to thinking there was a stronger way to do this. here is a pic of the rear of the trailer Wish I could have it painted this year to match the bike but thats next years birthday gift Gene from jersey

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”