first time out (A warm 38deg day)

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

first time out (A warm 38deg day)

Post by ekap1200 »

Finally got to pull the trailer, didn't even know it was there. Found the worst road to try it out on and bounce it into the air. Found out there was no need to be concerned ,the voyager didn't even budge and all is still secure. Thanks to all for your tips and suggestions, Has anyone attempted to add shocks to a trailer as an add on ?
After looking at this photo, I think I will paint it to match the bike.
Gene Kap.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: first time out (A warm 38deg day)

Post by doug of so fla »

Great looking set-up, :clap: :clap: I have the torsion bar axle type on my trailer and I prefer the double leaf spring that Ive had on other trailers. The torsion bar seems to be to stiff for a small trailer, but it is independent which would be ok if they made a weaker torsion bar . What does yours have for suspension now? They really do not need much. Because of the light weight you can sometimes, depending on what tire you have, just adjust the air psi to get a little softer ride for the trailer. The trailer tires have sometimes real high psi rating (70psi) which you do not really need for a light weight trailer. I like a little give when it hits rough spots, easier on the trailer and it's contents. What model trailer is yours? looks like a exact fit for the XII. Adding shocks, inmho, is overkill, unless your going to be carrying a whole lot of weight, as in a large camping trailer. And yes a matched paint will really set off your investment.. Come on summer!!!!
doug of no fla
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Doug, its an older Getaway, out of Canada a 1999. It has the independent suspension and it is stiff, for sure ! This first time out with a trailer I left it unloaded and 35psi in the tires, I have read most users prefer to keep the pressure close to the tire mfr specs to reduce sidewall failure and loss of air/pressure. The original owner suggested lowereing the presure. If it only had a softer torsion arm. I purposely guided it over a pot hole and it launched the side of the trailer a foot off the road at 55mph. To my surprize I didn't even feel it when it landed and smoothed out. Might sound a bit crazy but I had to know what would happen. Being the creative type I may do somthing with the suspension before I go on my summer road trip. Maybe some air bags and shocks off of a R-model Mack truck cab suspension and just convert the torsion arm into a swing arm only. Those air bags are only 4inches tall and the shocks around 6". Haven't really gone over the suspension on this other than check the wheel brg's. Pulled a lot of trailers in my day but never with a bike. I'm really looking forward to this summer. Gene Kap
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

I generally run 25 psi air in my tires when empty to reduce bounce. You could go lower to about 18 psi without sidewall failure or loss of air pressure with an empty trailer. Tire air pressure should be adjusted for the load. 35 psi should be plenty for most loaded trailers. As a matter of fact, I forgot to check the air pressure in the tires on my trailer and I mistakenly travelled over 500 miles with a fully loaded trailer at 18 psi air pressure and only suffered from bad gas mileage. Of course now I have stress cracks in the treads as a result.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”