adjusting fog/driving lights on V1700

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

dirtslinger1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

adjusting fog/driving lights on V1700

Post by dirtslinger1200 »

Can anyone tell me how to get to the fog lights so I can adjust them down? I have been getting bright lighted alot by oncoming cars lately so they need to go down just a little but I cant see how to get to them.
RodWestphal
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 209 VV1700
2008 Concours14

Re: adjusting fog lights

Post by RodWestphal »

I have seen adjustments when I had the fairing off to install the XM. They are on the inside. You might be able to get to them by taking the headlight off and reaching in from behind. Can't remember exactly how they are adjusted. Just remember it is back there.
Good luck.
RR
Have Motorcycle Will Travel
2009 VV1700
2008 Concours14
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

dirtslinger1200 wrote:Can anyone tell me how to get to the fog lights so I can adjust them down? I have been getting bright lighted alot by oncoming cars lately so they need to go down just a little but I cant see how to get to them.
Dirtslinger1200,

Just reviewed installation procedure in the 1700 Owners manual, and there is no adjustment for the fog lights. They are fixed in the fairing.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

If there are no adjustments for the running lights, you might have to put a little more air in the rear suspension to point them down some.

If you can find a level parking lot where you can park your bike and point it at a wall, park the bike 50 feet from the wall and with you straddling the bike. If you mostly ride with a pillion have them on the bike also. Have someone measure from the ground to the center of the running lignt and then make a mark on the wall at the same height.

If the running lights are shining above the line on the wall put a little air to raise the rear of the bike.

If you can't get them adjusted by raising the rear suspension you might want to complain to Kawasaki.
Or dig into the fairing and shim them to where you need them.

Good Luck.
2010 Voyager 1700
RodWestphal
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 209 VV1700
2008 Concours14

Post by RodWestphal »

Just looked at my shop manual and it refreshed my memory on the driving light adjustment. They are adjustable. There is a wing nut above the light in the back. Loosen it and it will slide along a slotted bar to adjust up and down. No left and right adjustment, but you don't need that. Again though I believe you could get to it thru the headlight opening. It shows the adjustment bolt on page 16-59 of the shop manual. It doesn't talk about adjusting, but just to 'parallel bracket B (the bracket on the light) with bracket C (the bracket holding the unit to the fairing)'. What is in parenthesis is my comments. This should adjust the vertical. One thing though. The fog lights have so broad a beam I believe you would have to adjust them down quite a bit to keep them from bothering drivers. I keep mine on all the time and have gotten the same thing, but from talking with other riders who I have been following during the day they don't really see me unless I have the fog lights on. They really add a lot of visibility of you to oher drivers.
Good luck and post here with your findings.
RR
Have Motorcycle Will Travel
2009 VV1700
2008 Concours14
TheAudiDoc
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 VV1700 SOLD

Post by TheAudiDoc »

To adjust the fog lights remove the storage pockets in the fairing 3 screws each and pull them out and the fog lamps are directly in front...5 min repair
Work hard.....Ride Harder!
Mike Pisarski , Tecumseh, MI
2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 Voyager Silver/Black Sold
2010 & 2011 Showdown 1st Place
It's A U D I
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

RodWestphal wrote:Just looked at my shop manual and it refreshed my memory on the driving light adjustment. They are adjustable. There is a wing nut above the light in the back. Loosen it and it will slide along a slotted bar to adjust up and down. No left and right adjustment, but you don't need that. Again though I believe you could get to it thru the headlight opening. It shows the adjustment bolt on page 16-59 of the shop manual. It doesn't talk about adjusting, but just to 'parallel bracket B (the bracket on the light) with bracket C (the bracket holding the unit to the fairing)'. What is in parenthesis is my comments. This should adjust the vertical. One thing though. The fog lights have so broad a beam I believe you would have to adjust them down quite a bit to keep them from bothering drivers. I keep mine on all the time and have gotten the same thing, but from talking with other riders who I have been following during the day they don't really see me unless I have the fog lights on. They really add a lot of visibility of you to oher drivers.
Good luck and post here with your findings.
Rod,
I stand corrected. A case of not carefully reading the entire instructions. I was looking for the words "adjustment" like for headlamp, and saw only "install". Thanks for getting him on the right track.
Turbo4x4
dirtslinger1200

Re: adjusting fog/driving lights on V1700

Post by dirtslinger1200 »

Thanks for all the replys. I knew there had to be a way to do it. I just aint smart enough to figure it out. :thmup: I'll get that done this weekend. Thanks again.
captgeo

Post by captgeo »

I just wave when someone high beams me! It means that they can see me, and have seen me. :thmup:
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler

Post by Turbo4x4 »

captgeo wrote:I just wave when someone high beams me! It means that they can see me, and have seen me. :thmup:
captgeo,

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you. I would much rather be seen and flipped off 'cause I have my high beams on than to not be seen at all. I've visited too many friends in the hospital who were only there because someone didn't see them and turned in front of them. Sorry, but homey don't play that. (you either have to be a boomer or go back a few years on TV sitcoms to understand that one). I drive assuming EVERYONE is going to turn in front of me, and because of that I come home every night. That's not to say my wife is extremely happy about that, but it works for me :gig:
Turbo4x4

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”