Possible muffler options for Voyager 1700

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Possible muffler options for Voyager 1700

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

National Cycle has a set of pipes that they market called the Peace Makers. These pipes have the ability to go from louder to quieter with an electronic switch that is on the handlebar. They are designed for Vtwin motorcycles. Also Supertrapp exhaust pipes can be tuned with the adding or elimination of discs and the different baffles that can be added. Traditionally most people do not try to make the motorcycle quieter, but some have accomplished this through these means and I have heard a set of the Peace Makers and they are quieter than stock when in the quiet mode.

Kevin B. in Illinois

BMWMOA 20 year member
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Re: Possible Muffler options for Voyager 1700

Post by Me Again »

National Cycle has a set of pipes that they market called the Peace Makers. These pipes have the ability to go from louder to quieter with an electronic switch that is on the handlebar. They are designed for Vtwin motorcycles. Also Supertrapp exhaust pipes can be tuned with the adding or elimination of discs and the different baffles that can be added. Traditionally most people do not try to make the motorcycle quieter, but some have accomplished this through these means and I have heard a set of the Peace Makers and they are quieter than stock when in the quiet mode.

Kevin B. in Illinois

BMWMOA 20 year member
This is good to know.I'm sure they are extremly expensive though.
Will have to get Gary to put this in the "Tech Tips" as soon as he opens them.
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Re: Possible muffler options for Voyager 1700

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

Since this post was originally a response to a question about exhaust pipes that are after market that aren't loud. I'm not sure if the Peace makers are designed to fit the new Voyager 1700. One would need to contact a dealership or look at National Cycles website or other exhaust webpages to find possible replacement exhaust information for the new Vulcan Voyager.

Kevin B. in Illinois
EVAHank
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2010 Honda NT700V

Post by EVAHank »

And then there's the REALLY BIG question...Would non-OEM pipes void the V17's warranty?? I'm guessing it would....

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank & Ol'Faithful
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Voyager 1300
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200
2 1978 Yam XS650 Specials

Post by Pure Pork »

You must keep in mind that the "peacemaker" unit is basically a "cut-out" system and I know is illegal at least in Illinois. Something that is puzzling is the urge to make the bike louder just because of it being a "v-twin". I have had my Harley since 1974, but I have no urge to make it loud, it doesn't make sense and you lose power. Just my opinion. And........ why chance being pulled over?

"Illinois Vehicle Code - 625 ILCS 5, Section 12-602

Mufflers, prevention of noise.

Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.

(Source: P. A. 77-37.)"
1985 Beast
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

"peacemaker"

This was added as a way to attempt to make the bike quieter not louder. Of course there will always be abuse of a good thing.
As for warranty, Chances are if your making the bike quieter your not messing with the warranty.
So far those who have actually ridden them say the sound is louder but not unpleasant (except for one wife). To be honest I always thought the XII was kinda loud compared to my 1300, especially when the Cobras were added.Never could figure why someone would go from a quiet muffler to a louder one.
If someone comes out with a muffler that is quieter I'm sure there will be some that will prefer it.
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200

Post by Pure Pork »

The ads for the "Peacemaker" say it has a straight through position:

National Cycle Peacemakers Exhaust System - VTX 1300 C
[NC-N41005] $899.00 $737.18

Imagine being able to start up your VTX for an early morning ride without angering your neighbors. Imagine enjoying a deep, powerful exhaust note without cringing whenever you pass a police officer or school zone. The new Peacemakers® Exhausts make those dreams a reality. The handlebar-mounted toggle switch allows on-the-fly transitions between loud and quiet modes.

The small chrome Actuator Motor, mounted to the right front frame tube, receives the signal from the handlebar switch and opens/shuts the Diverter Valves via heavy duty cables.

When the Diverter Valves are closed, the exhaust gases are routed through the Peacemakers' patent pending AeroBaffle, reducing the exhaust sound volume to a lower level.

When the Diverter Valves are opened, the exhaust gases flow through the straight pipe down the center of the muffler, resulting in increased exhaust sound volume and greater engine performance.

When the ability to run loud exists, some will abuse it. And is it enough to throw off your finely tuned engine? Maybe just some good quiet mufflers like what come on the bike is the best choice. And my point is that cut-outs are illegal in Illinois and to change any exhaust system to make it louder is also Federally illegal according to EPA rules.

http://www.peacemakersexhausts.com/product.html
1985 Beast
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

some will abuse it.

If you buy something like that so you can have a loud bike I agree .But if your spending $1000 or so to make your bike quieter than stock (the add says nearly stock level when closed),your not about to open them up if they work.Most after market mufflers are illegal anyways so judging one or the other isn't really fair.
My point is not , are they legal , but rather are they quieter .Making a quieter muffler is probably not on anyone's drawing board yet ,but it's still a good thought. Based on recent reviews they may not be necessary but it's always nice to have options.
:windy:
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200

Post by Pure Pork »

Sorry if I was obstinate about noise and bike mufflers. I spent 31 years in the motorcycle rights movement and I strongly believe in the AMA position that "Loud pipes risk rights". Each person must determine what is comfortable for them as to noise level and I enjoy the quietness of the stock beast muffler system.
1985 Beast
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

Sorry if I was obstinate about noise and bike mufflers.
I don't feel loud pipes are acceptable under any circumstances
That's why any attempt to make a bike quieter is a good thing
I also know there will be a few who think their Voyager should be louder than the rest.
For those people I will try to keep a fresh supply of potato baffles in my trunk.
You are right.The 1300 is the quietest bike around and it tends to spoil us..
captgeo

Post by captgeo »

Kevin B in Illinois wrote:Since this post was originally a response to a question about exhaust pipes that are after market that aren't loud. I'm not sure if the Peace makers are designed to fit the new Voyager 1700. One would need to contact a dealership or look at National Cycles website or other exhaust webpages to find possible replacement exhaust information for the new Vulcan Voyager.

Kevin B. in Illinois
I e-mailed peace makers manufacture and there reply was negitive. No pipes for nthe 1700 and nothing in the works.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

TheAudiDoc
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 VV1700 SOLD

Post by TheAudiDoc »

For those of you who wich to make your bike louder or quieter. the peacemaker systems are in the works ...just recieved an email from then stating to check back in 4 weeks for an update...they are looking to get a bike in asap to check fitment. :clap: :thmup:
Work hard.....Ride Harder!
Mike Pisarski , Tecumseh, MI
2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 Voyager Silver/Black Sold
2010 & 2011 Showdown 1st Place
It's A U D I
TheAudiDoc
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 VV1700 SOLD

Post by TheAudiDoc »

If you are interested i would shoot em an email and let them know...light a fire under their back side and get em moving...
Work hard.....Ride Harder!
Mike Pisarski , Tecumseh, MI
2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 Voyager Silver/Black Sold
2010 & 2011 Showdown 1st Place
It's A U D I
wbilotta

Post by wbilotta »

TheAudiDoc wrote:For those of you who wich to make your bike louder or quieter. the peacemaker systems are in the works ...just recieved an email from then stating to check back in 4 weeks for an update...they are looking to get a bike in asap to check fitment. :clap: :thmup:
I sent an email offering my bike for R&D. I'm sure I'm not the first but they are located not too far from my house.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”