Got a question about a trailer

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

jgfan
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Got a question about a trailer

Post by jgfan »

I was wondering if a Voyager XII would be able to tow a traier like this.
http://www.robertawhite.com/teardrop.htm
If someone knows please let me know. Thanks
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Got a question about a trailer

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

jgfan,
If you use the search function above you should be able to find specs that someone has posted but just off the top of my head I would say YES!
Just watch total weight and tongue weights as well, if you're new to towing practice, then practice more, then when you're ready for the road find a larger parking lot and practice more. The Voyager has allot to give and from what I've seen others have towed quite a variety of trailers so as long as you are not over weight, you should be good to go!
I have thought about these little tear-drops also but never did any research. Lets us know what the total dry weight and loaded capacity is. And remember just because you have room it doesn't mean you have to fill it up!
Took me quite a while to get the through to my wife! :gig:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
jgfan

Post by jgfan »

I have searched, the total weight of that one dry was 250, it had a tounge weight of 22 pounds. I wasnt so worried about the weight part of it as much as the aerodynamics part of it being a teardrop. I have never towed a trailer with a mc. I am very seriously considering building one of these as long as my bike will pull it. My wife says she would love to have one of these so I am really leaning towards it. I am thinkin of tryin to shave a bit more weight off it by using aluminum for sides also with just a wood skeleton. The foundation was a HF trailer and he extended the tounge out. If I get confident enough that the XII will pull it I will buy the trailer this week. Thanks for the input.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

John,
Pulling this with a m/c may feel a bit different than pulling a small low profile trailer but if you have towed before with a truck I feel confident that you would be just fine. I have towed a variety of trailers with a truck and have gone from a ultra-light to a 5ht wheel trailer both with a short wheel base pick-up (F150 short bed). There is a change in feel but you have to know going into it that it will be different.
As for the aerodynamics part, the Voyager is a bit larger than the Shadow ACE and with a full fairing I think you would find that preferable. Your right on with the weights so ponder on it for a bit then dive right in and post progress pictures as you go.
:thmup:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Rick near Kansas city
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 VOYAGER XII

Post by Rick near Kansas city »

jgfan

Post by jgfan »

Thanks, I have towed lots of trailers with truck. Just never with a MC. I am in the process of gettin a design drawn up and parts list, I think I am gonna give it a whirl. Thanks for the link, gave me alot of measurement ideas.
Dion
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2006 Goldwing 1800 1989 Honda Pacific Coast 800

Post by Dion »

I have pulled sum pretty big trailers when I had my Voyager most pulled ok but when hitting a good head wind then you mite have some tough going
President Wisconsin Badgerland Voyagers member Illinois Prairie Voyagers, American Voyager Association Bikes 2006 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing / 89 Honda PC. 800 In God We Trust
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

I couldn't imagine pulling a 5 foot wide trailer with a motorycle. That would definitely take some thought.

Interesting how the composite trailer has almost 500lb weight and the home built is supposedly only 250.
2010 Voyager 1700

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”