Bar end weight removal

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

hoof-arted
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bar end weight removal

Post by hoof-arted »

Putting new grips on my "BEAST".Removed the weights and old grips,but now have to take out the insert that the weights were screwed into.Does anyone know how this is done? If you leave them in the grip is too short. :tho:
Tom(North Alabama)
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager II
2002 BMW k1200LTE - sold

Re: Bar end weight removal

Post by Tom(North Alabama) »

Sounds the same as the XII, most people just live with it, others put spacers between the grips and controls. I have heard of some actually using a sawsall and cutting off the 1/4 that extends, but that seems like alot of trouble.
Which grips are you putting on, if they are more than 3/8 of an inch too sort, you should maybe try to get some longer ones.
'02 Voyager XII
'08 Concours 14 - sold
'02 BMW K1200LTE
hoof-arted

Post by hoof-arted »

They are the Kuryakyn ISO grips. I did think of cutting off that half inch from the end of the bar.
I don't think that will hurt anything. A cutoff wheel on my inch grinder should do the trick.Any other ideas out there would be very welcome. I can't find any other posts about this problem on this site yet.
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Look in the AVA Tech Center/Voyager XII section, then front end, and finally Kuryakyn Grip Install. This is how I had dealt with the space problem on my XII. Same thing or similar would probably work for the 1700 as well if the grips are shorter.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
hoof-arted

Re: Bar end weight removal and ISO grips

Post by hoof-arted »

Well I did it. I cut off the bar ends to make the ISO grips fit. Left side fits up tight now ,but throttle side still has a inch+ gap in it. Probly going to make a spacer to fill the gap. I really don't know if I should cut more of the throttle side to make it closer. I won't be able to use a throttle lock because of the gap.I just used my 4 inch grinder with a cutoff wheel on it, cut real nice, lots of sparks though.Haven't glued the throtttle side on yet. Maybe I can get some more advise here.
hoof-arted

Post by hoof-arted »

Gary, Could not find where you posted how you did this.
dapasda
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2006 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Post by dapasda »

hoof-arted wrote:Gary, Could not find where you posted how you did this.
I think this will take you to the Tech Tips section where the Kuryakyn Grip Install is located.

After following the link below, go to the column on the left, click on FRONT END, and then KURYAKYN GRIP INSTALL.

http://www.amervoyassoc.org/XIITipsWP.htm
06 Harley Electra Glide Classic
Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place. (John Bender)
You see, we're not "The Wonders" right now. We're "Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters". (Lenny)
hoof-arted

Post by hoof-arted »

Ok, Thanks Gary, found it. That is alittle diffrent then my 86 "beast". Mine has a metal sleave that goes over the solid bar to run the throttle. I wounder if I cut another inch or more off the bar, will cause any problems.I did figure when it comes time to glue on the grip, I can't put glue in the grip like the directions say. This will force the glue in between the sleave and the soild bar. That would not be good. :hmm:
hoof-arted

Post by hoof-arted »

I did it :thmup:
Cut the ends off of the bars. New ISO grips fit perfect.No gaps,and throttle works great. Thanks for the help guys. My "beast" has a better feel crusine down the highway.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”