Tongue length

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

crank67
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Tongue length

Post by crank67 »

Okay, so I've read most of the posts in this section and they have given me a lot of knowledge when it comes to pulling a trailer. I'm working on a homemade tailer using a modified small boat trailer and a Sears cartop carrier. The question I have is about tongue length. I've read plenty of articles on here about tongue weight, trailer weight, trailer width, etc. but no one has covered how long a trailer tongue should or should not be. Is this something I should be concerned with? Any suggestions? :hmm:
Thanks!
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Tongue length

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

The following came from:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt12.htm

The hitch on the motorcycle trailer should be on the same plane as the rear axle on the motorcycle or slightly below. This will help prevent the trailer from pushing up on the rear end when braking. Also, the hitch should be as close to the rear tire as possible to provide a more solid support without interfering with the tire. Anchor the hitch so that two mounts are on each side. One of the two mounts on either side should resist a downward force and one of the two mounts on the other side should resist the rearward pull.

The tongue length on the trailer is generally twice the trailer wheel width but no more than six feet from the axle to the end of the tongue. Good design will allow for good sway control. If the tongue is too short, the trailer will sway. If too long, the trailer will be sluggish and cut corners when turning.

For motorcycle trailers, you should consider a trailer designed for motorcycles because auto trailer tongue weights are too heavy. A trailer with a good aerodynamic design will enhance handling and performance. You also want a low center of gravity.
2010 Voyager 1700
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

Usually, at least 1.5 times axle width. Just like a kite, the longer the tail (tongue) the less it waves at you. 1.5 to 2 times axle width. Some have gotten by with shorter tongues.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
crank67

Post by crank67 »

Thanks for the quick replies... I'll try the 2 times the axle width first and see how it goes.. :thmup:
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:The following came from:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt12.htm

The hitch on the motorcycle trailer should be on the same plane as the rear axle on the motorcycle or slightly below. This will help prevent the trailer from pushing up on the rear end when braking. Also, the hitch should be as close to the rear tire as possible to provide a more solid support without interfering with the tire. Anchor the hitch so that two mounts are on each side. One of the two mounts on either side should resist a downward force and one of the two mounts on the other side should resist the rearward pull.

The tongue length on the trailer is generally twice the trailer wheel width but no more than six feet from the axle to the end of the tongue. Good design will allow for good sway control. If the tongue is too short, the trailer will sway. If too long, the trailer will be sluggish and cut corners when turning.

For motorcycle trailers, you should consider a trailer designed for motorcycles because auto trailer tongue weights are too heavy. A trailer with a good aerodynamic design will enhance handling and performance. You also want a low center of gravity.
Having lived in California for 35 years, the last thing anyone should follow are instructions provided by the California DMV, or any other State agency. I once asked two California CHP officers working the same informational booth at the California State Fair in Sacramento if triple towing was allowed with a 5th wheel and a normal class C license, and got two different answers. Even the DMV's website has conflicting information. Trust the advice from the folks who are now towing motorcycle trailers and you'll be a whole lot safer.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Turbo4x4 wrote: Trust the advice from the folks who are now towing motorcycle trailers and you'll be a whole lot safer.
Now that could also be scary. I've seen some very dangerous towing scenarios on the roads, and some of those folks might just contribute to towing forums.

I posted that trailering information because I agree with it, not because it came from California's DMV. In fact, I thought the CA stood for Canada when I was posting the link. :shock:
2010 Voyager 1700
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:
Turbo4x4 wrote: Trust the advice from the folks who are now towing motorcycle trailers and you'll be a whole lot safer.
Now that could also be scary. I've seen some very dangerous towing scenarios on the roads, and some of those folks might just contribute to towing forums.

I posted that trailering information because I agree with it, not because it came from California's DMV. In fact, I thought the CA stood for Canada when I was posting the link. :shock:
David,
Good point on some of the strange things being built and towed out there. I guess, as always, it comes down to obtaining all the info you can from trusted sources, and using your best judgement when evaluating the information. Seriously, however, California DMV is about the most worthless and dysfuctional organization in the world. It took me 2 years to convince them that I no longer lived there, and to quit asking me to pay registration fees on my vehicles. They even threatened to lien my home in California that I sold 3 years before. I told them to go ahead and do it. Hope the new owners weren't too upset :wnk2:
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Turbo4x4 wrote: David,
Good point on some of the strange things being built and towed out there. I guess, as always, it comes down to obtaining all the info you can from trusted sources, and using your best judgement when evaluating the information. Seriously, however, California DMV is about the most worthless and dysfuctional organization in the world. It took me 2 years to convince them that I no longer lived there, and to quit asking me to pay registration fees on my vehicles. They even threatened to lien my home in California that I sold 3 years before. I told them to go ahead and do it. Hope the new owners weren't too upset :wnk2:
:gig:
2010 Voyager 1700
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Haven't measured the length but here is a pic of a manufacured unit , (Getaway trailers ) out of Canada.
I have loaded it up with about 150lbs and run it down the highway at speeds of 75~85 mph and haven't had it wag me yet.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
crank67

Post by crank67 »

ekap,

Nice Trailer.. :thmup:
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Thanks , crank67, I know it goes against the norm. I don't think its much more than one length of axle width. but even being that short it follows and tracks quite nicely. I did however listen to everyone about the tonque being just below the rear axle in height. Not sure if that has any effect on the waging issue. I have had the load shift to the rear and still got no waging. Time will tell, taking it this year down thru the Smokies and then to Ripley Tenn, and from there down to Houston TX as my final destination. The PO said its the same length so my guess is there are other factors involved in designing a trailer. I paid 700 for this setup and am pleased with it other than the suspension of which i'm working on changeing. Gene Kap. the
crank67 wrote:ekap,

Nice Trailer.. :thmup:
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
jadeli89

Post by jadeli89 »

nice trailers you have in there..i am just starting in this thing and i really think i have to catch up better while reading your posts..but great, i wish i could be successful in modifying my trailer someday.. :windy:

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”