Goldwing versus Voyager (you may be surprised)

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Goldwing versus Voyager (you may be surprised)

Post by biggersm »

As some of you may know we have now traded our former Y2K Voyager XII for a Goldwing 1800. We are happy with our Goldwing but of course we miss certain aspects of the XII. We couldn’t resist the deal we obtained ( $4.6K off of MSRP, 36 months at 1% APR…thank you Honda and please pay attention Kawasaki and the only reason I put it in a public forum is that hopefully it will spur competition). Our Goldwing is a 2008 Airbag model but we purchased it with only 4 miles on the odometer. We will still remain loyal to the AVA and would like to see Kawasaki benift from our experiences.

I’ve been considering doing this for quite a while but I got to thinking if it would be fair; after all the Voyager XII is fifteen years more mature than the Goldwing 1800. It might be fairer to compare an XII to a Goldwing 1500 but our personal experience (after four months and almost 5K miles on our Goldwing and a trip from Central Florida to North Arkansas and back) we actually have some good news for the XII aficionados; actually the Voyager XII does pretty good considering the age disadvantage! So here we go with this report.

Standard Trunk Luggage Room – KAWASAKI – I don’t have the exact liter measurement but the way the XII trunk is shaped makes it much easier to put in two full face helmets with even more room for other things on top of the area where the turn signals are. Those rounded shapes that are all over the Goldwing are so 21st century vogue but the way it rounds at the trunk lid makes it hard to put things in the trunk. We have put both of our Fulmer full face helmets in the trunk but we have to turn one in a different direction to make it work.

Standard Side Bag Luggage Room – KAWASAKI - Once again I don’t have the exact liters involved in either machine but the Kawasaki luggage was easier to use due to the top loading configuration. It was also easier to remove the bags to get at the rear wheel or wash the bags. Just remember to lock those latches or make some lid retaining lanyards. We are also often forced to essentially hit the side bags to get the warning message on our display to go out and we found that this is pretty common for the Goldwing; Honda could have made their parts to fit better.

Gas Mileage – KAWASAKI – (however not by much). By using the odometer and comparing to the freeway mile markers I can tell you that our Voyager yielded almost perfect odometer readings but after 100 miles on the Goldwing the odometer reads 4 more miles than actual ( the XII speedometer was a different story but I’m sure that may have kept me from contributing to some local law enforcement coffers over the years). After some simple math we can tell you that our XII mileage ranged from a worst case 36 to a best case 48 (perfect conditions of about 50 mph with no stop signs or stop lights). Our Goldwing seems to be more centered on 36-42 MPG. At 70 MPH the Goldwing is spinning at 3K RPM which most GW owners think is too much (by the way red line is at a modest 6K). Many folks on the various Goldwing forums think that the Goldwing could use an extra gear or a more spread out ratio of the existing gears for better gas mileage (however it is nice to know that when you need to get around that 18 wheeler you are already in the right gear to twist the wrist and catapault around that truck…which leads me to my next topic).

Power – HONDA – Well what did you expect? The Voyager spots the Honda 15 years, Carbs versus fuel injection, and literally 50% more engine (four versus six cylinders and 1197 versus 1832 cc). Yes it weighs more, but not by much. Yes that power is intoxicating too! All I can do is to encourage Marcia to continue to take pictures from the passenger pillion while I wick the speedometer up past speeds that...let’s just say would not register back in the 1980s (when speedometers only went to 85 mph).

Originality – KAWASAKI – We miss having conversations about what our XII was and of course we told a very enthusiastic story about the history of Voyager models, the AVA and how it is so wonderful to be one of a kind. Indeed the Goldwing is pretty much as common as the “made in Milwaukee V-twin brand”. Perhaps you have heard the saying… “your unique, just like everyone else” The upside is that it is very easy to find stuff from the aftermarket for the Wing.

Handling – SPLIT DECISION – Honda’s Anti dive brakes are nice. It is also nice to be able to adjust spring preload for the rear shock from the cockpit by simply pressing a button. The entire Goldwing package also handles nice due to the low center of gravity. To Kawasaki’s credit it is nice to have air adjustability for both the front and rear. If I had to take a MSF course tomorrow I would choose the XII due to size but if I had to ride in an Iron Butt Rally I would chose the Goldwing…but that is only because I’m exactly 5’ 10’’.

Comfort - KAWASAKI - Now that might be a surprise but perhaps this category should be “comfort potential”. Our longest day on our XII was in summer of 2008 when we rode over 800 miles in one day, lost an hour due to time zone, rode in some thunderstorms…and…(I guess I fall short in the hyperbole department). We were coming back from the AVA rally in Bowling Green KY so Marcia had just purchased her Marvellas elevated floorboard pegs and we had our Marvellas big gulp drink holder but that was before we bought our Clearview shield and I got my backrest. It seems like a decade ago! The Goldwing is almost perfect for a 68-70” person (I’m 70”) but more or less than that and you may have problems. To have a 21st century motorcycle that does not have adjustable handlebars, adjustable seat, adjustable front suspension, etc. is unacceptable (take note Honda). On a relate note Marcia and I just came back from Arkansas on our new Goldwing and we already bought some aftermarket parts such as highway pegs, backrest, drink holders, etc. The smartest thing we did was when someone gave us some ordinary egg crate type bed foam. Forget buying sheep skins, beads, Corbin cement products, etc…just fold up some bed foam and readjust as you see fit during the ride. Our first day (last Sunday as I type this) was almost 700 miles. We would have went even more but it was after dark, we saw too many deer on the side of the road, we hit a smaller animal (maybe a badger) so it was time to spend a night in Eufaula Alabama (have you ever heard of it?). On a personal note, the Linked Anti Lock brakes on the Goldwing are nice too; I just grabbed every brake lever I could find, squeezed hard and hauled the Goldwing down to walking pace before playing tag with our mammal brethren. He/she may in fact still be alive (with somewhat of a headache after playing tag with over 1,000 pound of machine, luggage and human flesh).
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
2000 Voyager XII
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600

Re: Goldwing versus Voyager (you may be surprised)

Post by biggersm »

...and the story continues

Noise – HONDA – I know that this is a rather ambiguous category but what I’m talking about is road noise and engine noise rather than sound systems. Sometimes listening to a motorcycle engine is fun, be it an inline 4 or a V-Twin but that fun factor becomes exhausting (pun not intended) after about 100 miles. The XII also made that gear whine above 60 mph which was also tiring. Less noise meant more comfort! Of course the on board Goldwing sound system being listed as “premium sound” lives up to its name. Generally when I’m riding alone I don’t take the time to plug in the headset for helmet sound and I play with those 80 watt speakers.

Suggestions to Kawasaki – We know that the Voyager 1700 V-Twin is here to stay for a while. Among the Japanese motorcycle makers Kawasaki has the reputation of keeping a model in the lineup unchanged for the longest. Examples include the XII, Concours, 250 Ninja and KLR 650; some Kawasaki models are old enough to be drafted into the military by the end of their model run (it could be argued that is exactly what happened to the KLR 650) so I will not wish for an engine change. We have owned several V-Twins and they were fun. Some things Kawasaki could consider include financing closer to 1% versus 5% and a 36 month repayment period rather than a 24 month. The dollar off per cc sale that Kawasaki recently did was nice, but let’s face it; that would have saved us $1,700 versus $4,600 off of MSRP. Hopefully the problems from the 2009 release have been fixed so Kawasaki can concentrate on promoting reliability. Keep developing the accessories for the long distance touring crowd such as a Kawasaki luggage rack (after all, the Voyager for Voyaging; if you just wanted to ride around town you would buy a Classic or an LT). The Voyager should also try to continue to be the least expensive way to get into the touring motorcycle world.

Bottom Line, are we willing to give up our 2008 Goldwing for a 2003 or earlier Voyager XII…no! But find a 2000-2003 Voyager XII and add a 2011 Voyager 1700 (both with clean titles) and we can consider a trade…who is in?

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

biggersm wrote:... so it was time to spend a night in Eufaula Alabama (have you ever heard of it?).
Nice writeup Mike. It is good to see that you are getting out and riding your Wing.

If you had been following my "See the USA with the AVA" threads, you would see a dozen or so pics from the Lake Eufaula area. AL and GA. :gig:
2010 Voyager 1700
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

biggersm wrote:...and the story continues

Noise –
Funny thing about noise. I recently removed my Cobra Exhuast on the XII and put the stock exhaust back on. Now I find myself riding at higher RPMs because I don't notice the increase in noise that the Cobras produced at 4000 RPMs and above. I can imagine that my mileage would drop if I keep riding like that.
2010 Voyager 1700
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
2000 Voyager XII
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600

Post by biggersm »

Hi David

We was thinking about you when we crossed into Alabama. We came down the "all new" Interstate 22 from Mississippi, went South on I-65 at Birmingham to Montgomery and that is where it turned dark. In a different part of the forum I talked about the people of Eufaula but they are good people (along with their friends across the border in Georgtown where we had breakfast). I was a little more concerned when we got off the freeway for gas in Montgomery near Maxwell AFB; why does the USAF has so many bases in the poor part of town? It is unfortunate that what could have been the most scenic part of the ride we accomplished after dark (we like those scenic state highways and US highways as our signature block indicates).

When we got to Eufaula we were road weary, a little shook up from hitting the badger couldn't find a name brand hotel, and we knew that when we got there something felt different about the place. It turns out that this is the time of year the paper mill closes. The town is very beautiful and we like those old Victorian homes.

When we headed across the lake the following morning at sunrise it was beautiful but our windscreen immediatly fogged over. Good thing I could adjust by looking over the top.

We had a good trip and a good time.

Melbourne FL

SteelTraveler

Post by SteelTraveler »

Biggersm,

Enjoyed reading your Goldwing vs. Voyager XII comparison. You make some good points. Unfortunately, Kawasaki doesn't make the "XII" anymore. From May to Sep 2009, I carefully considered the new V-twin Voyager vs. the Goldwing, including spending lots of time on this forum. I am partial to Kawasaki, having owned three Vulcans (750cc, 1500cc Classic & 1600cc Nomad) since 2003. In September 2009, I made my decision and purchased a 2009 Honda Goldwing and after a year and 22,000 miles, I am glad I did. I love my Goldwing. If anyone is interested, there is a picture of me and my Goldwing on page 12 of the JAN/FEB issue of RoadBike magazine. I am sure that I will be riding a Kawasaki again one day, but for now my Wing is awesome!

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”