Heated Grips for a '89 V XII?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

chiplamb
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Heated Grips for a '89 V XII?

Post by chiplamb »

I'd like to fit heated grips to my '89 Voyager XII while retaining the bar end weights. Any suggestions from those who have used a product on the market today?

Thanks
Chip
kehnisz
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2006 Burgman 650

Re: Heated Grips for a '89 V XII?

Post by kehnisz »

Does not directly answer your question - but I am also curious on a minimum of modification to have warmer hands.

I saw something in the AEROSTICH catalog I just received - called WARM WRAP GRIPS (page 21).

'thin, electrically heated grip pads are made of heat and moisture resistant material and securely wrap over your grips with hook and loop (Velcro?) 1.6 amps - 22 watts' - $45.00

Anybody try these? Being in California, I need a temporary (3 months out of the year) solution.
K Ehnisz
Past Vice-President NorCal Voyagers 2012-2013
USCGR (ret)

1996 Voyager XII
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

There is a inexpensive heated grip that wraps around existing grip $15.00 or $20.00 . BMW rider has them on his and says they work great. He bought them in a MC accessories store. They wrap around existing grips and fasten with Velcro. If I find out any more info I will post it next week..
doug of no fla
Skibou
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1999 Voyager XII

Post by Skibou »

I did a fair bit of research before settling on Hot Grips. They are a little pricey, but I'm more than happy with them. There are a lot of products out there, but I found that ensuring the right size was not always easy. Hot Grips have an excellent website where you can match the grips to the bike, and the Voyager XII is actually listed. Like you,a major selling point for me was that they fit the bike (1999 XII) and allowed me to keep the bar end weights. I believe the specific model for the Voyager also fits the Goldwing, so the grips are about 1/4in. too long, and a spacer kit is sold to address this.
The package comes with all wiring, high/low switch, high temperature adhesive and clear instructions. You will have to provide an in line fuse and a relay. A variable controller is available at extra cost.
The grips installed easily, and no slippage has developed.The spacer kit works well, and is invisible after installation. I really appreciated them on a trip through Northern Ontario a few weeks back, when I had to scrape ice off the saddle before leaving in the morning. Even under those conditions, the high heat setting became a little uncomfortable after an hour or so, and had to be switched to low. I find the low setting to be just about right for cool fall mornings here in southern Ontario.
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

Here is what I am using on my Voyager XII from Moose Utility
guards and heated grips :cold:
http://www.mooseutilities.com/products. ... up_id=9396
http://www.mooseutilities.com/products. ... oup_id=473
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
jaster
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII

Post by jaster »

chevyman1 wrote:Here is what I am using on my Voyager XII from Moose Utility
guards and heated grips :cold:
http://www.mooseutilities.com/products. ... up_id=9396
http://www.mooseutilities.com/products. ... oup_id=473
I used a similar product to those heaters on my ST1100. 27W if I remember correctly. Can't beat the price and they work fairly well but I have two issues with them:

1. They're wrapped around a metal tube which acts as a heatsink.
2. The heat has to go through the grips & your gloves before reaching your hands.

I took an older pair of leather gloves and unstitched part of the lining so I could have only leather between my hands and the grips (also put 2 layers of Thinsulate on top of my hands). That worked fairly well.

On my Voyager, I have Gerbing heated glove liners (35W). I bought them to see if I would like heated gear and now plan to get the heated gloves. Turn them on and you start feeling heat in about 5 seconds. Install is much easier than grip heaters and can be swapped between bikes (just buy additional power harnesses). The down side is the gloves start at $140 and you have to run wires in your gear. If you have the extra money, this is a much better way to go.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”