hauling a Voyager... where to attach tie-downs

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

sodak rider
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

hauling a Voyager... where to attach tie-downs

Post by sodak rider »

Hi everybody...

I'm planning on hauling my bike out west to do some riding in the Yellowstone area. A buddy of mine borrowed a 2 bike trailor which barely has enough room to hold my Voyager and his VTX 1300.

I think I remember seeing a webpage that showed where to attach the tie-downs from a bike trailor to the Voyager. Having to work around the fairing is a real pain. Anyone know of a good reference where I can get some info?

TIA.
Brian
Torch
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII

Re: hauling a Voyager... where to attach tie-downs

Post by Torch »

I bought some short "bar savers?" and wrapped them around the bars and down through the opening and to the hooks on the floor of my trailer. I wrapped another around the back tire and to the frame of the trailer to keep it from bouncing, not that an 800 lb bike is going to bounce much. :gig:
The wind in your hair, the smile on your face,...............................obviously your not at work!

Torch and Brat
(aka: Bruce & MargieB
88 Voyager XII
AVA #5494
Rusty - SC Iowa
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Rusty - SC Iowa »

I have straps that have a rubber coating on the hooks. I ran a strap on each side of the front tire, up through the fork opening, and hooked them on the handlebar. Then on each side of the bike I hooked straps directly to the frame to the sides of the trailer, two on the forward end of frame, and two on the aft end of the frame. For good measure I ran a very wide strap from one side of the trailer, over the seat, to the other side of the trailer. In all I used seven straps. I trailered mine over 300 miles, and it didn't move an inch. In the mirrors it looked and acted like it was a permanent fixture of the trailer, which is what you want.
Still plowin.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Brian, back in Feb this yeay I asked the same question as I was trailering mine home (short trip about 125 miles, with snow at the end of the trip). It was recomended to me to use the rear crash bars/guards and the tripple tree, but I was cautioned NOT to compress the front suspension too much in an effort to avoid doing any damage.
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”