New battery run down

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

mwoolf40
Current bike(s): 83 voyager 1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New battery run down

Post by mwoolf40 »

Alright, got the cam chain tensioner on the 83', now my brand new battery (<1month) has no juice. Does the clock stay on constantly? I wondering, besides a battery tender, do I need to change the stators? Change the resistors at same time?
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Re: New battery run down

Post by Me Again »

Yes the clock stays on ,and yes it will run the battery down after a couple of weeks although not totally dead(the clock will probably still be on).
An easy way to check the stators ,once you get it started again, is push the volt/temp button (by the ignition switch-lower right next to the headlight adjuster) with the bike running around 2000 rpm and watch the meter.If it only reads around 12 volts you have a bad stator.
Scott in IL
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2 x 1984 ZN1300 Voyager
2001 BMW K1200LT

Post by Scott in IL »

I believe you should get at least 5 bars at idle, and 6 at 2000 rpm. I could be wrong (4 & 5), trying to go by memory which is not as good as it used to be.
If you suspect a charging problem, the service manuals tell how to check the stators (there is one on each side) and the regulators (one on each side).
With the stators, you check the impedence between the coils and if any of them are grounding out, and when running what the voltage output is.
With the regulators, you can check the if any of the diodes and capacitors are burned out, and the output voltage when running.
Make sure all connections are clean and tight. I found that a bad ground connection can burn out a regulator. After 20-some years, the wiring inside by the stators can go bad. One good thing is if you don't mind tippiong the bike onto the crash bars, the stators can be changed without draining the oil.
If you have to replace any of these parts, I would recomend Rick's. They have the best fit with the correct length of wire on the stators.
I'm not an electrical expert, but I have a little experience with this stuff over the last couple of years.

Scott
mwoolf40
Current bike(s): 83 voyager 1300

Post by mwoolf40 »

Thanks guys! I will check it out.
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

Wow mw you are good, looking at the date and time you posted you did it tomorrow on the 16th. today is the 15th :hmm: oh wait wrong month nevermind
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”