Harley Davidson received bailout money

Own something other than a Voyager? This forum allows you to more easily find non-Voyager articles.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Harley Davidson received bailout money

Post by biggersm »

This is kind of like history repeating itself (I remember the 1980s tarriff of Japanesse bikes over 700cc).

http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2010/12/ ... n.htm?nl=1

I guess some playing fields are more level than others when talking about a free market/capitalist economy? :hmm:

Just thought you might want to know where your tax dollar is being spent. Than again it was only 2.3 billion which is essentially pocket change inside the beltway. It goes on to say that the loan was repaid so I guess all is good. This is still interesting and motorcycle related. I know, two hot button topics in one post, politics and Harleys, I pray this doesn't flame out of control :pray: (ooops, just brought religion into it too).
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Harley Davidson received bailout money

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

You like treading on thin ice don't you Mike. ;-)

One thing you have to say about Harley is that they have a great marketing team.
2010 Voyager 1700
blacksanction

Post by blacksanction »

Not that it was my tax dollars being loaned but my question would be. Would it have been better to let all those companies fail and put thousands of more workers onto the unemployment line? In the end it was a loan that was repaid.
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
2000 Voyager XII
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600

Post by biggersm »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:One thing you have to say about Harley is that they have a great marketing team.
True, it seems like most HD shops have more room at their dealer for their aparrell then they have for motorcycles. BTW much of which is made in China including some sun glasses someone gave me.
blacksanction wrote:Not that it was my tax dollars being loaned but my question would be. Would it have been better to let all those companies fail and put thousands of more workers onto the unemployment line? In the end it was a loan that was repaid.
True, I do in fact see both sides of the issue and if the money was not made available I agree that many HD workers would have lost jobs (but I think the company would have survived). I just think it is interesting that the government has come to the rescue of HD twice since I have been a motorcycle rider. I also don't think even the USA is ready to truly embrace pure capitalism.

I still think it is funny how many people think that HD is an all American motorcycle. Here is another interesting fact, did you know that in the 1930s HD licensed Japan to make HD motorcycles for sale in Japan only? Recently the Japanesse continued to made carbs for HD (up to where they went with fuel injection).

Would anyone be interested in the full Japanesse HD motorcycle story?

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

blacksanction wrote:Not that it was my tax dollars being loaned but my question would be. Would it have been better to let all those companies fail and put thousands of more workers onto the unemployment line? In the end it was a loan that was repaid.
While I agree with you in principle, why is it that the large companies get bailed out and the small companies are allowed to fail? Some might say numbers of workers out of jobs, but when you group the small companies together does the numbers of workers who were put out of work equal the number at Harley that would have been laid off?

I think it is more a matter of lobbying voice in DC.

Oh crap, there I go talking politics. I spent all day today biting my tongue becuase of all the political issues involved in the project I am working on. :gmad:
2010 Voyager 1700
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
2000 Voyager XII
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600

Post by biggersm »

I just realized that I should have started this string in the "All Other Brands Forum". I thought I posted it in the General Forum but I guess I posted it in the 1700 Forum. Regardless of where it is posted I think that authentic Japanesse Harleys are interesting even if they were early 1930s side valve engines. You can do a Google Search under the word "Rikuo" (loose translation of Road King or Land King). The other option is to look at a couple selected links below:

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/motor ... idson.aspx

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=81

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikuo_Motorcycle

Now for a safety note, please be careful who you share this information with; some HD riders don't like knowing about all these interesting facts. :!!

Melbourne FL

Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

biggersm wrote:Now for a safety note, please be careful who you share this information with; some HD riders don't like knowing about all these interesting facts. :!!
Mike, I agree. I once told a friend of mine that his Harley had Japanese parts and he got so mad, I thought that he would hit me! He did not want to accept the fact that Japanese materials were in his All American Harley Davidson.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
2000 Voyager XII
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600

Post by biggersm »

Hi Nathan et al

I guess I'm a bit like Troyce Walls mentioned in one of the links. I like providing interesting facts to the right company.

As Green Knights Marcia and I are very involved with the local Blue Knights (Florida XII, such an ironic chapter number). They are mostly Harley Riders and I jab at them when they show up at an event in a cage.

For the record Marcia does not mind riding in the rain but temps below about 60 bother her.

Have you heard about the third annual Knights of the Round Table to be held in Gettysberg PA? Marcia and I were lucky enough to go to the first two (Titusville FL and Harrison AR). If this is a complete surprise than shoot us a PM or get in touch with Alex Rameriz.

Melbourne FL

David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

biggersm wrote: For the record Marcia does not mind riding in the rain but temps below about 60 bother her.
Hey Mike, maybe treat your lovely lady to some heated gear.
2010 Voyager 1700
Rick L
Current bike(s): 99 Voyager
95 Gold Wing SE

Post by Rick L »

If I'm not mistaken :hmm: , H-D got govt. money back in the mid-late 80's for same thing....??
The country that forgets it's defenders, will itself be forgotten.
Rick Londagin

Return to “All Other Brands General Forum”