Trailer wiring V12

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Trailer wiring V12

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Check out the Dollar4Dollar section, there are a few listings there for places that work on Voyager alternators. If you're going with all LED's, you may not need to upgrade your alternator. Is the one you have now functioning fully? Check it's output?
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Voyager 1300
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200
2 1978 Yam XS650 Specials

Post by Pure Pork »

I have a Harbor Freight style trailer, with a Hoppy converter, and the one trip to Kansas, to attend the Meeting of the Minds, sponsored by the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, we got caught in construction and the trailer pulled the battery down to nothing. I think the logical solution would be to upgrade the trailer light assemblies to the LED models that Tractor Supply and Farm King are selling. My solution in 2004 was to put a switch on the dash to turn off all the running lights in the daytime. We seldom travel at night anyway.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... cial=false
1985 Beast
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Here is a link to Harbor Freight's LED lights --> LED Trailer Light Kit - Harbor Freight
listed at $39.99
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Mythic State Rider

Post by Mythic State Rider »

Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote:Here is a link to Harbor Freight's LED lights --> LED Trailer Light Kit - Harbor Freight
listed at $39.99
With this kit do you still need a converter or does it have everything you need?
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

Still need the converter, It converts the wiring from (auto uses same bulbs for runnning, brake & turn lights) to MC which has seperate circut for turn lights.
doug of no fla
Mythic State Rider

Post by Mythic State Rider »

So I got my power converter (NAPA brand mfg by Hoppy) mounted and wired. All lights work as intended. Per the instructions, the large red wire with inline fuse is connected directly to the battery to power the converter. With the ignition off and trailer wiring connected to the bike, I notice the LED's on the trailer stay lit. Is this normal and you just have to unhook the trailer wiring when you stop to park or did I incorrectly hook up somewhere else? I connected in underneath the trunk where the loom separates to the individual turn/tail/brake looms. As I do not have a factory service manual, is there a spot to wire in the converter power supply down line of the ignition so that the LED's only come on when the bike is on or can I/should I put an inline switch on the power lead?
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

I would just use the connections at the rear of the MC The Aux power plug is connected to the ignition so when you turn off the Ignition the trailer lights will go out . I think the direct line to the battery is your only problem .
doug of no fla

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”