eight point hitch

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

eight point hitch

Post by ekap1200 »

Just my two cents, but from what I have researched, a bike hitch should have some direct connection to main frame. What I see for sale for the voyagers is just a four point connection mainly pulling from the saddle bag lower support, and then off of the upper bag support. So with that in mind I set off to design an 8point system, and have started fabrication of the system. The cost so far has been $ 10.00 in assorted flat stock 1-1/2 * .187, 3/4 * .187 , 1/2 * .125 and a piece of 0.187 plate steel 8*30". The reciever I purchaced from ( Tractor Supply ) here in New Jersey for $25.00, seems its a special wall thickness of .156 with an ID of 1.312". Fortunatlly I don't have any chrome or other accesories hanging off of the rear fender, I can see how that could become somewhat of a clearance issue. The only modification I had to make was to remove 3/16 off of the inside boss of the pass. footrest casting, and obtain longer metric grade 8 bolts for the upper saddle bag connection. My upright supports connect on the inside of the main frame and are nutted onto the longer bolts. Five of the parts were waterjet'ed out on our machine at work but could be fab'ed on a band saw. and the welding is done here . here's some drawing, what do ya'll think. Any suggestions?

Note: I took the liberty of reloading your image to tinypic. Please remember to resize images to fit message boards (640x480 pixels). Otherwise, they will not display.
~~WingNutLori
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Charlie from Illinois
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: eight point hitch

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

It looks great :clap: Do you have any finished pictures?
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

I have no finished pic's yet. tomorrow night I will be welding up the rear 6 pieces togeather. then off to work and sandblast the assemblly, and may just send the rear end off to the powder coater. All the other parts will just be primed and painted using a sprayer here at my shop. Painting of the trailer is another matter ! has anyone had good results with paint shops matching voyager paint colors? Since it's cold here in jersey now is the time for bike service and getting the trailer ready for spring time camping. Tried camping for the past two years with just the trunk and saddle bags with less than desirerablle results. Being able to bring a fold up chair and a folding cot will make camping a joy this year. Oh and the cooler chest will also be a treat :thmup:
Thanks,, Lori for helping with the pic uploads. I guess I need more time to get that down...... :tho: Gene from Jersey
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

Not much to report today, things at work took most of my time. But I did get the rear receiver ends and the two support brackets bent up. And I have removed the 3/16 off of the pass foot rests to receive the two main struts. Been having trouble with tinypic but here is a link that will take you to the pics I have now. http://tinypic.com/3ia1q4ub
The rear parts were fitted also and will be drilled and bolted on tonight. Everything is fitting as planed. I made up all the parts first in wood or cardboard beforehand to check my work and dimensions and all is going well. Gene Kap from Jersey
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Re: progress report

Post by ekap1200 »

Today went well parts are bent and fitted. more pics were added today on tinypic of the progress made. same http link as in previous message, Going to try adding a pic, here it goes again. Gene from Jersey
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

I like the design of Ed's hitch and he supplied me with the prints for it. :thmup:
Except for some miner dimension chances everything fit well.
some differences that i did was had it powder coated and I mounted a 5 pin receptacle in it

President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

Looking good, If you ever want to build a few let me know I am thinking about a camper. As far as paint matching, I work at a G.M. dealership and we had our paint supplier come in with a camera to match the color of my 88, then our painter mixed it up and did some touch up on my upper faring where it had a little problem with a lawn tractor in the P.O.s garage and repainted my false tank, you can not tell where the touch up was, perfect match. Go to a automotive bodyshop supplier and they should be able to hook you up. BTW the 88's are the same color as a Toyota. :oh: And it is a two stage paint, base coat, clear coat.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator

Post by ekap1200 »

:thmup: Nice job Chevyman1, from the pic it looks like you nailed it. I know its a close fit but you should have about 1/4 inch clearance to the exhaust. Hope your as happy with this solid hitch as I am.
The dwgs I have , I will share with all who are interested metalworkers wanting to copy this one. Gene Kap.
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

I pulled a trailer to the Rally at Degray lake 2446 miles total had no problems at all except for the extra load pulling out and stopping I didn't know the trailer was there.
Mr Kap's 8 point hitch design worked superbly
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”