My '02 is trying to act like an older Harley - leaking oil

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Andy(SC)
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

My '02 is trying to act like an older Harley - leaking oil

Post by Andy(SC) »

My '02 has never left a drop on the garage floor and has been clean underneath. About 2 weeks ago I drove it 10 miles or so from my old place to a new house I just moved into. Parked it and the next morning when I cam out there was puddle underneath the bike. The next day it got bigger - about 10" across.

I looked under the bike and based on where the puddle is centered, it appears to be coming from the bottom of the center of the engine . . . . and there is a good deal of oil visible now. I have added a photo of the oil puddle and the underside of the engine.

Any thoughts on what challange I might be up against?

Thanks in advance

Andy (SC)
Attachments
Puddle under bike
Puddle under bike
Underside of the engine
Underside of the engine
==========================
'02 Voyager XII
Seneca, SC
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Re: My '02 is trying to act like an older Harley - leaking oil

Post by gearheadfla »

The best thing to do is give it a good cleaning and then watch it to see where it is coming from, it maybe the oil seal behind the water pump or more so the seal for the clutch rod. The clutch rod seal has been known to "ride" out on the shaft and just needs to be pushed back untill it's flush with the engine case, dont push it in more than that as it can go all the way into the case. Also if it is over full on the oil it will leak. 3qts, 22oz. Contact Carl Leo and he can walk you thru anything.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

To check the clutch rod, remove the cover by the driver foot peg and see if oil is visible along the engine behind the cover. This will also give you a better view of the water pump.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Post by biggersm »

It looks like it is leaking from the filter. Is the large O-ring seated correctly and in good condition? Do you change the O-ring each oil change? Is all the filter bypass components assembled in the right order? There is a good example of the parts order for the bypass system in the owners manual.

PS, thanks for the picture it sure does help with diagnosis.

Everyone is right, get some engine cleaner in a can, clean everything and find the leak.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
Andy(SC)
Streetster
Streetster

Thanks for the feedback . . . .

Post by Andy(SC) »

Was pressure washing the deck so I did a quick pass under the bike and cleaned the gunk off . . . . it does seem to be dripping from the plug but I have not touched the oil since changing it a few months back and that was 1500 miles ago. Seems odd that it went from no leaks to what you see after a 10 mile drive.

I'll pull the side cover and look at doing another oil change to ensure there is no problem with the filter / plug.

Andy
'02 Voyager XII
Seneca, SC
phill12
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by phill12 »

clean it real good then get you some spray deodorant and spray it real good. Run then check where the oil is running. I would bet it is the clutch rod seal. Had the same thing on our 1994 and it did the same.

Phill
Andy(SC)
Streetster
Streetster

OK, You're not going to believe this one

Post by Andy(SC) »

I had 100 things that kept me from getting into working on the bike until last weekend. I started by degreasing the undercarriage and letting it dry off. I got in touch with Carl and he had me check a few areas but no leak was found and no problems located.

I drained what little oil was left and refilled it with new oil. Started the bike and let her run until she was hot. Not a drop of oil was visible. Got on and did 10 miles . . . . still nothing. Went 50 miles (stopping every once and a while to check) and still nothing. Put her on the center stand with a piece of cardboard under it and after 2 days, not a drop.

If that is not the strangest problem and easiest repair I've ever heard of . . . . . . .

At least it looks like I am back up and running (even if it is pushing 100F every day).

Thanks for the suggestions but still can't figure out what the cause of the oil hemmoraging was or how it fixed itself

(Unless it heard I was calling Carl and that "scared it straight" :gig: )

Andy
'02 Voyager XII
Seneca, SC
phill12
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by phill12 »

I will bet the clutch rod seal is out just a little and that caused the leak. When you rode it again it made just enough seal that it didn't leak. It would be worth your time to take a look.
Just my 2 cents
Phill
Andy(SC)
Streetster
Streetster

Checked the clutch rod seal

Post by Andy(SC) »

That was one of the areas Carl had me check and the seal was perfectly flush with the case and no sign of oil present . . . . really one of the strangest issues I've come across.

As you can see in the photo at the top, it was not just a little drip but a major leak yet now, not a drop anywhere :bat:
'02 Voyager XII
Seneca, SC
Ohio Mike
Cruiser
Cruiser
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ohio Mike »

...assuming you replaced both o-rings on the filter cover when you changed the oil I would bet on either a defective or dirty o-ring. It could have taken the oil a while to migrate thru or past the bad or dirty spot but once it lubricated that area it would have been just like opening the flood gates. Glad you found (or at least eliminated) the problem.
:thmup:
Ohio Mike
Mike in Celina
03 Goldwing GL1800 / 2018 CSC Trike Kit
pasanby
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1200
Yamaha XJ 600

Post by pasanby »

She was just marking her new territory . :gig: :gig: :gig:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”