Oil Sight Glass

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

LonnieD
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 84 Z1300 Voyager (trike)
82 1200 Gold Wing
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Oil Sight Glass

Post by LonnieD »

Has anyone had trouble viewing the sight glass so you can see the oil level? Mine is apparently dirty and looks to be a bugger to remove and replace...I know I have enough oil since I just drained and re-filled but gees has to be a better way? Suggestions?
Retired US Army 88
Nam: 25th Inf Div. A troop 3/4 Cav. 69/70 Tank Sec.

Boeing Commercial Airplane group Puget Sound
Current Bikes:
82 Honda Goldwing
84 ZN1300 Voyager Trike
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Re: Oil Sight Glass

Post by Me Again »

Change oil. Maybe put in a little Sea Foam or a similar engine flush first.
Check the oil on the center stand if possible .
addonii
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by addonii »

I find it unusual for the site glass to be obscured from the inside unless you have over filled the crank case or if there is another problem due to leakage of water/anti-freeze into the crank case or condensation from long term storage. If its condensation riding the bike should eventually cook off.

Did the drain oil look to have any water/anti-freeze in it?

Check the oil with the bike on the center stand.

What is the color of the deposits on the site glass?

If you over filled the engine you will not see an oil level in the site glass as all you will see is oil. My bike seeps a little from around the site glass rubber and road grime does accumulate there – clean the site glass off with a some spray carburetor cleaner.

The bike takes 5.9 L or 6.3 qt. this is a large amount of oil for a bike so there is a possibility you have under filled the engine.

Put the bike on the center stand, get a bright light and shine it toward the site glass with you looking from behind the light.

If the site glass looks totally dark and you don’t see an oil level your probably over filled.

If the site glass is totally light in color your probably under filled.

If you don’t have manual with a picture of the site glass send me an email and I’ll send you several pictures of how it should look. One of the pictures will be from the Owners Manual and another will be a view from my bike.

To verify over fill get a block of wood probably 4 X 4 or 6 X 6 place it on the right side of the bike by the case guard or where it will hit the right side case guard when the bike is leaned over to the right. With the help of someone strong, have him lean the bike to the right with you watching the site glass. If you see the oil level come down into the site glass then you have over filled the crank case.

Big caution here is the bike is extremely heavy and if it goes over with the case guard hitting the ground you will have a hell of a time getting it up righted. Don’t worry as nothing will probably be damaged unless you lean the bike over too close to another vehicle or a wall and then either the bike or the object it hits will be damaged.

As to picking up the motorcycle here is reference for and a technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo

Just remember the ZN1300 is heavier than the Harley in the video.
LonnieD
Cruiser
Cruiser
82 1200 Gold Wing

Post by LonnieD »

I find it unusual for the site glass to be obscured from the inside unless you have over filled the crank case or if there is another problem due to leakage of water/anti-freeze into the crank case or condensation from long term storage. If its condensation riding the bike should eventually cook off.

Well I found it unusual myself hence the reason I drained the oil, pulled the filter so as to ascertain the exact amount in the crankcase. I was riding it (I’ve only put maybe 30 miles on her since I’ve owned it) and the oil light came on. I stopped and put in enough to get her home. That’s when I noticed that I could see the (whatever they are) on either side that form a “V”.

Did the drain oil look to have any water/anti-freeze in it?

Oil looked normal but was dark and just looked dirty.

Check the oil with the bike on the center stand.

Yes I did that since I changed the oil and filter.

What is the color of the deposits on the site glass?

I see no deposits just a dark window but no oil level, yes I tried a flash light and anything I could think of.

If you over filled the engine you will not see an oil level in the site glass as all you will see is oil. My bike seeps a little from around the site glass rubber and road grime does accumulate there – clean the site glass off with a some spray carburetor cleaner.

That’s not the problem since I did change the oil completely, It needs a cleaning from the inside not out since that was my first instinct.

The bike takes 5.9 L or 6.3 qt. this is a large amount of oil for a bike so there is a possibility you have under filled the engine.

I measured it correctly as I filled her up (surprised that it’s such a large crankcase and holds so much)

Put the bike on the center stand, get a bright light and shine it toward the site glass with you looking from behind the light.

Yup, I’m new to this bike but I do have experience with motors and such (22 years in military and 23 jets helping to design and build Jet passenger jets) :thmup:

If the site glass looks totally dark and you don’t see an oil level your probably over filled.

If the site glass is totally light in color your probably under filled.

If you don’t have manual with a picture of the site glass send me an email and I’ll send you several pictures of how it should look. One of the pictures will be from the Owners Manual and another will be a view from my bike.

I have several manuals, but sadly not one from another bike. One taken of your bike would be great, Lonallie@comcast.net or Lonnie.dotson@boeing.com

To verify over fill get a block of wood probably 4 X 4 or 6 X 6 place it on the right side of the bike by the case guard or where it will hit the right side case guard when the bike is leaned over to the right. With the help of someone strong, have him lean the bike to the right with you watching the site glass. If you see the oil level come down into the site glass then you have over filled the crank case.

This is a maybe…kind of chancy to do since I know just how much is in there since I just filled her up.
Yes, I know how heavy this bike is I have a gold wing and this makes that look like a kid’s bike :gig: (not really) but I would love to pull that sight glass out and replace it. I know of a young man who I met on the KawSixes Yahoo group who is a Kaw bike mechanic and showed me the price for a new one is only about 5.00 but not sure I want to chance taking the cases apart. I might work with very large jets (777 787 747) but know my limitation. Not trying to be a start butt however I’m just frustrated at this dang thing and can’t believe I’m the only one with this problem :
cry2:
Retired US Army 88

Current Bikes:
82 Honda Goldwing
84 ZN1300 Voyager Trike
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

Well I found it unusual myself hence the reason I drained the oil, pulled the filter so as to ascertain the exact amount in the crankcase. I was riding it (I’ve only put maybe 30 miles on her since I’ve owned it) and the oil light came on. I stopped and put in enough to get her home. That’s when I noticed that I could see the (whatever they are) on either side that form a “V”.
The oil level light is a bit of a stickler.
The sensor gets dirty and the light comes on.when you stop and put a drop of oil in you just overfilled it.A little engine flush should clean the site glass but it probably will not clean the sensor.
I usually ignore the light as long as I know the level should be good,and clean the sensor when I find time or the light becomes to annoying to look at any more.
LonnieD
Cruiser
Cruiser
82 1200 Gold Wing

Post by LonnieD »

how do you recommend a flush and would sea foam be ok or what do you recommend ? Amount or fluid and do you run it for how long, I have never run a flush before but willing to try..
Retired US Army 88

Current Bikes:
82 Honda Goldwing
84 ZN1300 Voyager Trike
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

A lot of people on this site swear by Sea Foam for just about anything that ails you or your bike.
I would go by the recommendations on the can ,or something similiar.
I have heard some will go for a short ride ,others just let it idle.
LonnieD
Cruiser
Cruiser
82 1200 Gold Wing

Post by LonnieD »

cool thanks will give it a whirle...
Retired US Army 88

Current Bikes:
82 Honda Goldwing
84 ZN1300 Voyager Trike
LonnieD
Cruiser
Cruiser
82 1200 Gold Wing

Post by LonnieD »

Had some neat folks reply back to me at home email (Larry being one) and have sent along some great suggestion. Even referred me to another gent who might have some site glass and side covers for sell...great help thanks so much!! :thmup:
Retired US Army 88

Current Bikes:
82 Honda Goldwing
84 ZN1300 Voyager Trike

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”