Looking for a Dealer

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Looking for a Dealer

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Does anyone know of a dealer who sells bike camper-trailers as well as large campers? I'm looking into trading in my 32 foot Jayco and hopefully get something along the line of a Leesure Lite, TrailMaster or TimeOut type of trailer.
:thk:
I know it may sound very strange to trade down but to me it's just the opposite, I see it as trading up since out kids don't want to use it any more and the smaller unit would be used so much more.
A lot more!!! :thmup:

EDIT: In or near Central PA preferably!
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Looking for a Dealer

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

You'd probably be better off selling the bunkhouse and then purchasing the camper.

I am having a hard time coming to terms with the cost of motorcycle trailers. Cargo trailers that cost more than an enclosed trailer to haul the bike in, and camper trailers that cost more than a toy hauler camper. I know my wife would prefer to trailer the bike to rallies and other destination, but I prefer to ride.
2010 Voyager 1700
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

David, with the economy being what it is getting pay-off for an R.V. is about as hard as getting what your heart tells you your XII is worth and finding someone to pay it (regardless of book value)!

I do how ever have an appointment with a local dealer who is the largest in about a 100+ area (out of more than 15) and he's willing to discuss with me the possibility of either picking up a franchise or simply buying a couple to see how they go over. I hit him up at a local R.V. show and pitched all the perks about how Smart4Two/Smart Cars can pull them as well as other small/economy cars which would allow those drivers to get back into the camping scene without losing the advantage of their high MPG car/decision.
Big perk is a friend of mine just moved his bike shop next door so one will lend itself to the other and it could be a win/win situation (especially for me)!
:hpdc: :pray: :bowdn: I wasn't shy about telling him it was a selfish decision on my part every bit as much as it was an opportunity for him.
2001 Voyager XII
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Always good to do some wheeling and dealing. With gas going up I might be able to sell a couple of bikes at a profit next year. ;-)
2010 Voyager 1700
kmanca1
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by kmanca1 »

I'm still deciding if I'm going to make the jump to a trailer. But if I do......
The only one I'm interested in looking at is the ROLLAHOME.
They're great people, their trailer/camper is built like a tank, and there are more options available than you can ever use.
Check them out. http://www.Rollahome.com
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

Well my local dealer was willing to buy it off of me out-right for $1500 less than pay off. I booked for (resale value) $5000+ more than he was willing to give me. By the way at first he was interested in selling the "micro trailers" but soon lost interest. I guess with the several dozen motor homes he has on the lot with price tags of over 200K he didn't want to scare away any big rollers.
:oh:
Any way I told my wife before I took a loss and sold to them I would sell for the same to a private individual to save someone from the sharks. Turns out a family from just a few miles away heard about it, came by and looked it over. Called me with questions and asked to see it again. In less than 3 days time I had cash in hand and started to scrub and clean like there was no tomorrow, unloading things I haven't seen in a couple years and reminiscing. :-(
On the bright side though, we can now start a new chapter in our life with bike camper. Still not sure what brand, make or model but all in due time.
Thank you everyone for your input not only on this string but in all the strings, and I look forward to many many more fine articles and hours of reading pleasure.
:hpdc: Not to mention thousands of miles of smiles!
2001 Voyager XII
canaman

Post by canaman »

We just bought a used Aspen Classic. An awesome trailer. Have heard very good reports on the Rollahome also. From what i have heard they are very similar but the only difference that I have heard is the Rollahome takes a bit longer and is a bit more combersome to set up. Peggy at Trailmaster is awesome to deal with. Aspen is headquartered in Des Plaines IL. Look them up at Trailmasterinc.com
Napping while driving may be hazardous to your health

09 Gold Wing with matching Bush Tech Trailer
09 Aspen Classic tent trailer
95 Voy XII for sale
Okie34
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 94 Voyager XII
07 Daelim S2 250
06 CF Moto Fashion 250

Post by Okie34 »

For those out looking to move to a Bike Camper. I would venture a guess that just about any of the major companies building these today (and still in business) are perfectly fine. It's really going to depend on what you want.

When I was looking, I was all set to go with a Time Out trailer. Just about ready to pull the trigger and order it. I was planning to pick it up in Fayetteville since the company was going to be at the Bikes, Blues and BBQ rally there. However, I took a look at the Classifieds and found a 2006 Aspen Sentry for sale. I negotiated with the folks selling it and came out with a very nice, if tad bit smaller, trailer. I also saved about $2500 from new.

So it does pay to take a look at the classifieds, craigslist and eBay. Just sayin. I towed my little Sentry to the DeGray rally and it was well worth the pull. I don't think I will ever sleep on the ground again after this either.

-- JD
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

When we started looking I wasn't sure what I wanted other than a bike camper so we could just go! Neil called me and gave me some very good advice and input on the various trailers he has had and others he's known of (likes and dislikes). That call was very much appreciated.
Kept searching as the dealer kept dragging his feet. Started to loose that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling about him.
Saw the Aspen at a show and loved it, I wanted one (new or used didn't matter to me). As time went on my wife decided she liked the Time Out better (what if it's raining, the TO has a table and floor so we can play cards and games without being in the bed the whole time! -she said). Then I saw the Solace on e-Bay, very similar to TO but a few bucks cheaper.
Problem is saving money doesn't always save you money, same as paying more doesn't always get you more! :hmm:
So till we find something new or used we'll be tenting it with the Harbor Freight trailer I built.
Keep posting ideas, thoughts and experiences folks. I appreciate each and every one of them. :clap:
2001 Voyager XII

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”