Alternator Trouble Help Help

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

NavMode
Current bike(s): 1986 Voyager Xll
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Alternator Trouble Help Help

Post by NavMode »

I've read the post on this subject but still have a question..

While testing mine on the 86 with a new AGM battery from AutoZone ($89.99) installed, as the other one bit the dust, possibly from my alternator problem, I am ok until Test 3 Regulated Voltage. With fuse removed and 4K rpm the output is 12.5vdc not the 14-15vdc. Manual says check alternator unit. Is the Regulator a replaceable part or is a new alternator in my future?

Please remember I have two left hands and was never good at fuzzy math or auto shop in school.

Think of two monkeys and a football and that's me with hand tools, but funds are tight so it's Do it Yourself Time :bat:
http://www.world66.com/community/mymaps/visitedStates
Lowell & Donna
1986 Kawasaki Voyager

Old boys have their playthings as well as young ones; the difference is only in the price.
Benjamin Franklin
richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '94 Voyager as of 02/10

Re: Alternator Trouble Help Help

Post by richardb, austin »

NavMode, I believe the charging voltage is 13.5 vdc at a minimum of 4000 rpm. The regulated voltage should be 14.7+- 0.5 v. Most XIIs start charging at 2000-2500 rpm. Here's a link to a fine tutorial from Rick in NYC:
http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/viewt ... ator#p6102
richardb, austin
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Re: Alternator Trouble Help Help

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

The only parts available for the 1200 alternator are the brushes. It is possible they are wore out and need replaced. Most find that around 60,000 miles is when the brushes are pretty much shot. That can vary by the amount of draw you have on your bike, the more lights (incandescent especially) the sooner you will probably need the alternator serviced. If it isn't the brushes, you most likely will need to replace the alternator. Check with Rare electrical.com, they may not have them listed on their site, I had to call them, then they shipped one- much less expensive than through Kaw, but still a good (read as ball bearing) alternator, not the cheaper Chinese made ones that are made for lawn tractors and happen to fit the 1200's. It was a few years ago that I had gotten mine, hopefully, they still sell them.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”