Trailer too heavy?

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '94 Voyager as of 02/10
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Trailer too heavy?

Post by richardb, austin »

I loaded up the Coleman Caboose to test for an upcoming 65 mile ride & weighed it. 275# gross including 50# on the tongue. Is that too much for a short trip on my skinny little 8" tires? I'm gonna do a test run tomorrow with this load unless you guys are too discouraging.
richardb, austin
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

50lb on the tongue sounds like a lot, but that just might be me. I don't know what my HF/Sears trailer weighs in at, but I try to keep the tongue weight around 20 or 25 max.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Torch
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII

Post by Torch »

Everything that I have read on tongue weight says it should be in the 20-30 lb range so that the trailer pulls correctly.
If the T/W is too much then you "feel" the trailer more, especially at slower speeds. If you have a passenger on and add 50 lbs more on the back of the bike, it tends to lighten the front wheel, then you can REALLY feel it! Not one that you want to feel going around corners.
BTW, you probably only need about 20-25 lbs air in the tires as you are only carrying about 25% of the max load on them.
The wind in your hair, the smile on your face,...............................obviously your not at work!

Torch and Brat
(aka: Bruce & MargieB
88 Voyager XII
AVA #5494
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Torch wrote:BTW, you probably only need about 20-25 lbs air in the tires as you are only carrying about 25% of the max load on them.
With that much weight, 25lb seems low. For what it's worth, the guys on the trailer towing forum said one way to check your tire pressure if you aren't sure, is to load the trailer up to pulling weight, and roll it through a puddle and watch the tread mark of the tire on the dry pavement. You should have an even footprint across the width of the tire mark. If it's thin in the middle, then you need more pressure, if it's thin on the outside, then you need less. I haven't tried it, since I'm basically running the same trailer setup as half the guys over there and all I did was copy what worked for them.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '94 Voyager as of 02/10

Post by richardb, austin »

Well, I've got 70# of Sears MC jack in the front end of the trailer, so I can easily reduce the tongue weight some- maybe not down to 25ish #. I'll report back after my test ride tomorrow. I'll check the mud print also - or are you just trying to get me to get the bike dirty? :lol:
richardb, austin

Tongue weight?

Post by voyagerjohn »

:roll: I would try loading the trailer differently and weigh the tongue with each setup. That's what I did. I use a fishing scale with a large hook and a handle with a rotary dial. It works good. I pulled with almost 40# tongue weight and did not have any problems, but I like it better with about 20-25#. But you knew that already.
John
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by MTN99 »

Richardb,
Another thing to keep in mind when loading is to load so things don't shift/move when underway... :shock: .. I try and pack things in a fashon that the heaver items (camp stove, lanterns, ect )are above the axle and other bulky things (sleeping bags, clothes ect) are used to take up the space... (but you probably allready know this) :wink:
Also for added ballast we have the Ice chest on the toung.
On our Piggy I try to keep the hitch weight 'between 20-25 +/- lbs and keep the tires at 25psi (cold)
Pack the bearings on the 8"rims/ tires beginning of season and we're good to go..... 8)
Ride safe
Now Retired

Ride Safe & Remember.... ATGATT
Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
WingNutLori
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Honda Goldwing GL 1500

Trailer Horror Story

Post by WingNutLori »

I'm reading this conversation and having flashbacks to July 4th, 2007. We had just started our journey to the AVA Rally in Rapid City. (BTW... that was my first big trip on a bike & first time traveling the Interstates & my first time pulling a loaded trailer!)

As we slowed down on the exit ramp in London, Ohio (for gas), I could hear a terrible noise. I turned off the radio and the noise got LOUDER. What the....? My riding partner let me pass then told me that I was dragging the tongue of the trailer on the ground!

Apparently, the bolt part of the hitch ball came out of the ball, 'cause it (the ball) was still locked into the tongue! Don't know how far I drove like that but there was a good 3/4-1 inch of ball ground off.

I don't know how one prevents such a thing from happening...but color me LUCKY! Everyone that had ever pulled a trailer told me to secure those safety chains "just in case". I didn't lose the trailer thanks to those chains. But I shiver to think what could have happened if the trailer tongue had hooked on a pothole!

So load 'em right and good luck! :wink:
I want to live my life in such a way
that when my feet hit the floor in the morning,
Satan shudders and says...
"Oh crap... she's awake!"

1990 Honda GL1500 - Burgundy/Gray
http://www.keystonewings.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

....which is one reason I welded a horseshoe upside down near the front of the trailer. The round portion of the horseshoe will keep the lip of the tongue from catching a crack or whatever in the pavement, or, that's the thinking. Plus, it gives me a place to chain the trailer tongue to a lamp post or something. Got one on the back also.

flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

How about a few pictures Chris????
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

I'll draw something up. I don't have any pictures of that, or, if I do, I don't know where they are and my trailer is at my brother's house.

edit: I guess one of these days, I need to get the bike and trailer out and spend a half hour taking pictures. It appears, that I don't have any decent pictures of my bike (in one piece) or a complete set of pix of the trailer and bike combo.

Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

Thanks for the "art" work. :lol:
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Suitable for framing, LOL.

Mike in Pekin , Il
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Mike in Pekin , Il »

I have heard the max tongue weight should be 35lbs. also the guys tell me the tongue should be 2x as long as the axle. weight distribution important and you may need to adjust you suspension in back for hauling trailer. If this is your first ride you should take a ride partner.
Ride Safe and Ride Long,

Mike in Pekin, IL
Barry
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 87 Voyager 12
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Barry »

I've tried running my cyclemate trailer with 25 lbs tongue weight and was happy with it in stock form. I lengthened the tongue to where it was twice the width of the axle. This really jacked up the tongue weight and I ended up putting balast behind the rear bumper. It might be 60 pounds heavier, but it sure does track sweet. The rule of thumb I try to live by is 10% of the trailer weight should be the tongue weight. Just my 2c.
Barry
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Hey Barry

Post by MTN99 »

Barry,

Good 2c... We WILL be headed up your way probably in late July early Aug... :D
We'll finaly get to go up the Oregon Coastline to Washington to Victoria Island... Two weeks, (hope it'll be enough time)
Looked for the CVV site ????

BTW somehow your e-addy got placed in our blocked sender list, so if you have E-mailed us since last summer / fall thats the reason for no replys... :oops:
Have you got the 57chev on the road yet?

Wishing Good health to You, Vivian & Family
Now Retired

Ride Safe & Remember.... ATGATT
Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
Barry
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 87 Voyager 12
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 69 times

Tony, I sent you a pm

Post by Barry »

pm sent
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

I am not sure if motorcycle trailers would differ, but the rule of thumb for trailers is 10 to 12% of the loaded weight should be on the tongue. Less and you risk a swaying trailer. More and you can start to lift the front of the vehicle due to the lever action.

So, 275 lb trailer should have 27.5 to 33 lbs of tongue weight. Make sure your trailer axles and tires can also handle the load.

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”