Intercom

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Skibou
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1999 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Intercom

Post by Skibou »

After wasting a couple of hundred dollars, and two years of frustration messing with a self contained intercom system ( If I had any hair, I would have pulled it out), I decided to check the forum, only to find that there is a communicator built into the radio. If I read it right, I need to buy a Y-cord, two helmet sets, and two connection wires. Checking the prices for these items, not including the y-cord, I seem to be looking at spending somewhere in the $400.00 up to $700.00 range. Am I right? My difficulty is that my wife only rides with me four or five times a year, and I don't want a CB, or a connection to my cell phone. If I'm right I think maybe I'll just have to slow down and shout.
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Re: Intercom

Post by biggersm »

Everything you said is correct. The Y-cord can be obtained from either Carl Leo or Neal who is our Air Rider dealer. Be sure to get the right cords (many variations out there). Some folks prefer to simply listen to the radio through the intercom since it sounds better. Also when it comes to radio electronics, suzib6sw and Chris near KC are both very knowledgable. All names used are forum names and all are very willing to help (one or more will probably chime in).
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
awatry

Post by awatry »

One thing you might want to do is look around and see if you can buy a headset kit for your existing helmets. A couple places to look include EdSets, IMC Motorcom, and J&M. I have a Scorpion EXO 900 modular helmet and was able to fit a IMC Motorcom unit in it (I think I paid right at $100 for the headset). I also put a EdSets in a HJC Full Face (that unit was about $220). Both those included the adapter cords that go between the headset and the Y-cord. The EdSet also has a extra connector that you can plug in an I-pod or MP3 player in case you do not feel like hooking up to the radio.

As noted earlier Carl Leo most likely has the Y-cord, J&M also sells them (although you need to call them as they do not advertise they have them because they do not sell a lot of them). A Y-cord should be under $100.

Fitting the units into the helmets was not that hard, just take your time....that seemed a little more reasonable to me than buying the helmet/headset combos as I already owned both helmets and both were under a year old. But if it is time to buy new helmets anyway you can probably buy with the units already in. If I recall right you can buy the helmets and headsets together from J&M....not sure about other places...

Just look around first...
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by suzib6sw »

Ding Dong..! Im chiming in .
Hi Skibou..
ANY audio questions, just fire away.. I know the system (stock one) inside and out..
If you check back though the various Radio related posts, there are a number of mods that can be done to the stock radio to tart it up and allow an MP3 or GPS direct input.

There are a couple of headsets on Ebay but Carl is your best port of call for both the Y cable and the headsets.

The quick way to check if you have one is to look at the rear of the bike by the passenger controls for a 5 pin circular (DIN) socket. If its there, then you should find another on the left of the bike, by the handlebars.
To be completely sure, remove the headlight cover (two screws at the bottom) and take out the headlight..
Look to the right for a short cable with a yellow band.. If there is something plugged into it,. thats your Y cable.. just have to find the other ends.
If the dust cap is in place.. then you need to call Carl..

If you need any help, either drop me a note, or call the number in my Sig...

Cheers..
Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
gbakman53
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1989 KAW VOYAGER 1200
2005 HD Sportster 883

Post by gbakman53 »

I have recently purchased a system off Amazon. Sena SMH10D-01B comes in pack of 2 for both riders.
$299.95 with no tax and free shipping. The reviews on Amazon are great. Works on battery charge
6-10 hrs and you can connect bluetooth devices i.e. cell phone, ipod, mp3, wirelessly. Ayou have no
wires from you to other rider. The other great thing is if you are riding with another motorcycle
and they have the same system you can talk to them also. Not amny systems out that can beat that.
Only negative thing is if you ride with open face/half helmet there is some wind noise pickup. I am looking
into a way to attach a tiny shield to the front of mike to block that wind, if i come up with something
I will try to post pictures. Happy Riding. PS: Go to amazon and type in Motorcycle Helmet Communications
to find the Sena system.
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
2000 Voyager XII
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600

Post by biggersm »

Gary

Welcome to the AVA. Please come on over to the members section and tell us a little more about yourself. :-D

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
gbakman53
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1989 KAW VOYAGER 1200
2005 HD Sportster 883

Post by gbakman53 »

Biggersm

I looked around the members section and don't quite see the place to tell more about myself.

Please let me know the place the go. Thanks
jaynes
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1999 Kawasaki Voyager
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jaynes »

J&M Corp has the y-cord part number HI-11 in stock for 69.99. You can pick up the helmet intercom systems from them also with the HC-PC cord that runs from the helmet to the y-cord. I have less that $300.00 in my system that includes both helmets. Depending on the type of system you get for your helmet, that is not a bad price.

Jim
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
2000 Voyager XII
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600

Post by biggersm »

Hi Gary

Check out what is usually the top post in the Members Only section.

http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/viewt ... =20&t=1666

You can find out quite a bit about us there too.

Melbourne FL

Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

J&M sells the HS-8154 headset that is modular which means that each item can be separated (speakers, mic, cords) with the lower cord included. It is a one piece setup for $115.00. Look under performance series headsets.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Skibou
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1999 Voyager XII

Post by Skibou »

I originally asked if I understood correctly what needed to be done to make the on board communication system work. Thank you all for your answers. After reading them I decided to go ahead with the installation. I bought the Y-cord from Carl, and a pair of headsets from Sierra, and did the installation myself - not pretty, but it works. The sound is so much better than battery unit was, and I never need to worry about battery charge level. There was a considerable amount of wind noise, but when I realized that full volume was no longer needed and was able to turn it down a little things improved immensely.

I have a GPS on a bar mounted Ram holder. I previously made a small plastic sun shade over the holder and I attached the Y-cord clip to the side of this shade, so the cord to the helmet has plenty of play, which I find more comfortable.

We've used it on a couple of weekend trips now, and it works great, even on the superslab.
biker4life
Current bike(s): 2000 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by biker4life »

sierra electronics
has the y-cord part #HI-11
RIGHT NOW FOR $59.50

J&M JUNCTION LEAD KIT FOR KAWASAKI VOYAGER XII Details

JM HI 11
J&M JUNCTION LEAD KIT FOR KAWASAKI VOYAGER XII