1248 IGNITER LOANER

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

JHD
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '92 Voyager XII
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

1248 IGNITER LOANER

Post by JHD »

I have been troubleshooting my '92 and suspect a problem with the igniter, Pete Franchi was kind enough tonight to go through some troubleshooting steps with me but we were not able to come to a definitive conclusion that the igniter is shot. So I was wondering (on Pete/Carl's suggestion) if any member out there might have a spare igniter they could lend me for a test. Also if someone is willing in the Seattle area I could ride my bike over and do a quick changeover to see if it truly is the culprit. As you all know the expense of these little critters a quick test before I pull the trigger for a new one would be best.

If any one is able to do a loan or local swap test please email or PM me.

Thanks

Brad
lilabner
Been liked: 0

Re: 1248 IGNITER LOANER

Post by lilabner »

Come on yall....it`s a 10 minute swap....20 if he goes around the block.
I`m 2800 miles away or I would, SORRY I can`t help.
BEEN THERE......... Lilabner & Rare Breed.
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D

Post by JHD »

JHD wrote:I have been troubleshooting my '92 and suspect a problem with the igniter, Pete Franchi was kind enough tonight to go through some troubleshooting steps with me but we were not able to come to a definitive conclusion that the igniter is shot. So I was wondering (on Pete/Carl's suggestion) if any member out there might have a spare igniter they could lend me for a test. Also if someone is willing in the Seattle area I could ride my bike over and do a quick changeover to see if it truly is the culprit. As you all know the expense of these little critters a quick test before I pull the trigger for a new one would be best.

If any one is able to do a loan or local swap test please email or PM me.

Thanks

Brad
UPDATE: Have found a known good igniter from an '88 w/40k at a local salvage yard for $100. I will p/u tomorrow and see if it remedies the problem.
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by suzib6sw »

How did it go Brad? Did it cure the problem?
Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D

Post by JHD »

suzib6sw wrote:How did it go Brad? Did it cure the problem?
Pete
Pete I did get a chance to install the igniter and it turned out kind of how you figured when we went over everything last Sunday, it didn't change the problem. Well back to the drawing board. I'm going to concentrate on the carb adjustments now. I'm going to order some Motion pro carb tools, a mixture adjusting tool and the carb sync. Hopefully the adjustments can sort this out. I'm not sure what else I can check except for testing the coils and lead wires. The bike does seem to be a little anemic from idle up to about 2-2.5k RPM's along with the rattle at low RPM's. Hopefully this problem of mine is not something internal. Have you ever heard of anyone changing out the stock pilot jets for a different size?

Pete thanks again for your help. If you have any other thoughts on my problem please chime in.

Brad
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D

Post by JHD »

Tonight I took a ride and noticed when I pulled in the clutch the rattle I hear disappears. What could cause this rattling noise from the clutch?
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D

Post by JHD »

JHD wrote:Tonight I took a ride and noticed when I pulled in the clutch the rattle I hear disappears. What could cause this rattling noise from the clutch?
Well I discussed this problem with Carl extensively this morning and he is almost 100% certain the rattling noise I am hearing is a carb sync problem. I didn't think this could be so because I had recently taken the bike to a local shop and watched the mechanic perform the sync. Well according to Carl this was far from the right way to perform the sync after describing to him how the mechanic went about it and he assured me if I took the time and did it myself exactly the way he does them that I will have a bike that will free of the problems I have been having. So I am going to order a Morgan Carbtune Pro 4 synchronizer and a bevel drive mixture screw adjustment tool.

I can't wait to see if these adjustments cure my problems.
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer

Post by suzib6sw »

I have see the way Carl does it.. I too have a balance set.. not mercury type but functional .. Brought them from the UK with me.. . The Manual does a pretty good job of describing the process...
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D

Post by JHD »

Ordered a Morgan Carbtune w/storage pouch and 100 degree mixture screw adjustment driver from Morgan Carbtune LTD in England. Funny as it may sound the price is actually cheaper than ordering it from a dealer in the US even with the exchange rate and shipping. I will do a write up on the tools after completing the adjustments giving full details on how they performed.
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing

Post by doug of so fla »

I had the very same problem with my old 97 with 120,000mi on it and I swore it was the engine chain rattling!!, so I got a tensioner from Carl. Carl said it was the Carb's fighting each other making that rattling noise, :Cball so I tuned them, cleaned them with seafoam, and made sure no air leaks. Guess who was right on!! :Cball I have a xtra tensioner if anyone wants one. lol !! :bat: Listen to Carl and you & your XII will go places!!!..
doug of no fla
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer

Post by suzib6sw »

Thats the one i have... Morgan Carbtune... its realy good.
I had to make the little restrictor valves with the bits provided for my 600 bandit..
Pete

1986 Voyager XII
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D

Post by JHD »

Well my Carbtune arrived a couple days ago and I am getting ready to try it out. Talking to Carl the other day he mentioned that to properly sync the carbs it would be necessary to remove the airbox for access but in testing out the 100 degree bevel drive screwdriver that I bought with the Carbtune on the adjustment sync screws shows I have just enough room to do the sync adjustments with everything in place. So I figure this is a more optimum way to do the sync. Does anybody know different?
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer

Post by suzib6sw »

What you have to take into account is the slightest pressure on the screws will affect the readings..so its important to blip the throttle between adjustments to see how it all settles..
its easy enough to remove the air filter box.. the upper one only.. to get easy access to the screws.
Dont forget to set the pilot screws to two turns our on all 4..
Pete
Pete

1986 Voyager XII
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D

Post by JHD »

suzib6sw wrote:What you have to take into account is the slightest pressure on the screws will affect the readings..so its important to blip the throttle between adjustments to see how it all settles..
its easy enough to remove the air filter box.. the upper one only.. to get easy access to the screws.
Dont forget to set the pilot screws to two turns our on all 4..
Pete
Thanks Pete. The driver I bought is very controllable and I should have no problems making fine adjustments when synchronizing. I will also adjust the mixture screws prior to the sync.
JHD
Traveler
Traveler
'09 FLHT Police
'03 RE Bullet 500
'77 XS 360-2D

Post by JHD »

Happy Thanksgiving all.

I had a chance today to try out my new Carbtune and mixture driver. Well the carbs were not in sync even though I had them synced at a local shop a few months back. The LS pair were out quite a bit and the RS pair were pretty close. I performed the adjustments with airbox in place with no problems and was able to get everything leveled out without much problem. So the rattling I was experiencing is still there but seems to be only when I'm in first and putting a load on it. I don't seem to hear the rattle at idle like I did before so now I'm not sure what to check next. I did set the mixture at 2 turns out before performing the sync. Maybe I will have to try to fine adjust them and see if it changes the rattle symptom. Things are getting better so I should be able to work through the troubleshooting and get things worked out this winter.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”