digital voltage gauge

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

twopass
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 98 Voyager 12
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

digital voltage gauge

Post by twopass »

Hi All
I just recieved my Digital Green DC 7-55V Voltmeter LED Display Digital Voltage Panel Volt Meter, two-wire (no power supply, can be measured diretly)
from ebay Item number: 260924751010

So where is the best place to wire it in so it gets good readings but goes off with the key?
gbakman53
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1989 KAW VOYAGER 1200
2005 HD Sportster 883

Re: digital voltage gauge

Post by gbakman53 »

There is a accessory plug that has two open spaces, unless they have been used for something just
behind the head light. You will have to take windshield and fairings off to get to it. Use a test light or
meter to check to ensure you have the right one. It is ignition controlled.
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by suzib6sw »

The connector behind the headlamp can be accessed by removing just the headlamp shroud and the headlamp's 4 mounting bolts.. The connector has two wires.. Black/yellow (Ground) and White with a yellow stripe +12V) ..
The other place is in the vinyl pouch behind the passenger seat under the trunk..

There are several other places but the best place to monitor is as close to the battery as possible to reduce the slight resistance in the loom.

I use the Argus Battery Bug BB-SBM12PS but dont use it on a gel battery.. Although its supposed to be ok , the crank current checker seems to give some odd readings..
This stays connected diretly to the battery and when the battery drops to 12V (when left standing) it beeps a repeated warning..

Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
twopass
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 98 Voyager 12

Post by twopass »

Thanks guys I will look for that.
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII

Post by debron »

Post a pic when you get it installed!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

twopass wrote:So where is the best place to wire it in so it gets good readings but goes off with the key?

It will most likely need to be in the cluster to keep it dry, unless you can come up with a cover of some sort. That unit doesn't look like it is waterproof, or even water resistant.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1997 Voyager 1200
2016 Honda Goldwing
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by usmalenurse »

I just mounted the Kuryakyn model on mine and after giving Carl ( :bowdn: ) a call, I attached the "hot" wire to the turn signal relay beside the battery. Attached the ground wire right to the battery case and it works fine. The relay slides right off so it's very easy to work with..just use the solid orange wire.
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”