Fuel pump help needed.

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Fuel pump help needed.

Post by suzib6sw »

I've been talking to Gary in Canada (non Ava member at the moment but Im working on that)..
This is a '96
This one requires a bit of knowledge of the way the fuel pump works.. I think i have it but I cant be sure..
The problem is the carbs will not stop leaking despite carb rebuild and new fuel pump..
The Leak is simultaneous from all 4 carb overflows.
It doesnt appear to be one leak and overflow via the connecting tubes as it pours at exactly the same time from all 4

The issue seems to be that the pump never comes out of prime mode and is supplying gas all the time at very high pressure where if you pinch the overflow pipes it will squirt out at speed.

Looking at the circuit diagram, there are 4 wires to the pump. One is 12v (Red) via the engine cut off switch, the other is chassis (BK/Y)
The others go to the starter button (BK/W) and (BK)to the ignitor and coil for #1 and #4.

The way i understand it is that initially 12V solid is sent to the pump which spins up and primes the carbs quickly. Once the engine fires, that 12V is interrupted and 12V is pulsed to the pump to keep the gas flowing.
What I THINK is happening is there is a short somewhere thats keeping 12V constant and pumping gas under pressure.
Im thinking that the problem MAY be in the clutch switch.. or in the wiring..
Here is another possible red herring. Turning the ignition switch on, everything lights up EXcept the radio.. Move the key slightly back turns it on. With the switch in the "Radio not powered" position , grabbing the loom by the headstock will not turn it on so no bad wires there..
Im fairly sure we are on the right tack.. The diagrams help a little as does page 15-31 in the main manual.
Im also entertaining the fact that the ignitor (-1248) could be faulty.
His Kwak dealer will not touch anything older than 15 years.
Wanted to pull on the resources here before bothering Carl with this one..
Mainly because there may be many ideas and someone has had this before..

Cheers..
Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
rmoody9928
Current bike(s): 1990 Voyager
Been liked: 0

Re: Fuel pump help needed.

Post by rmoody9928 »

Im not sensing "short" but a switch or relay that may not be breaking. Have you tried isolating the respective circuits and monitor ?? Just a thought...........
:hmm:
carl leo
Guru
Guru
Current bike(s): 96 voyager zg1200
76 kz900 LTD
60 NSU supermax
Been liked: 0

Re: Fuel pump help needed.

Post by carl leo »

i would just put a test light on the black wire and see if it pulses at idle.......

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”