misc items from my first inspection of XII

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

pipelinepete
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager II
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

misc items from my first inspection of XII

Post by pipelinepete »

I got the 2001 Voyager home from the dealer and completed my initial inspection. Overall it's looking really good.

1. The pretty badge on the top of the front fender is missing...Kawi parts manual says it's not available by itself. I am down to eBay on this one?

2. The little plastic braces that hold the air filter in place are deformed. Are these really needed? Is there a good substitute if yes?

3. I have a broken rear reflector as shown in the pic. How can I fix this? Apologies for low quality photo.

4. Is there supposed to be a rubber damper or stopper for the sidestand? Mine hits the frame with a loud whack.

thanks!!

Peter
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Re: misc items from my first inspection of XII

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

1. Ebay or try Carl Leo.

2. Sort of. No.

3. Replace the light.

4. No rubber bumper for the side stand that I recall. Center stand yes, but not the side stand.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

That rear lamp is listed on E-Bay right now or Carl Leo will hook you up.
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

The badge is not cheap but you can still order it. Carl Leo did not have any when I tried him. Try bikebandit.com. Order it for the 2003 model. The parts should still be in stock. I ordered one in early 2011 and got it. You will have to also order the 2 tiny clips that hold it onto the fender. You will find the part in the decals section. The BB Part# is 56018D and the clips each are 92018. When you get it, remove the front fender, can do that from the 4 bolts under the plugs on the brace bar. Once you remove the fender (wheel does not have to come off) break off the tabs holding the old badge from the inside of the fender and the old badge will fall out. pop in the new badge and secure with the little ring clips. Lights and reflectors can still be ordered through bikebandit also. They can be removed from the inside of the trunk panel.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Me Again »

If you think it looks good now,wait until you get it buffed out and bring that color back to life.
pipelinepete
Streetster
Streetster

Post by pipelinepete »

The spring prep continues on my 01 Voyager. Today I replaced the dirty fluid in the brake and clutch hydraulics. Also checked the carb sync (was bang on, surprisingly). Still running Sea Foam through the carbs to clear her out.

Can't get the cruise control to work in OD. I think one problem is that the clutch safety switch is malfunctioning (i.e. I can start bike without pulling clutch in). I dismantled the safety switch, cleaned it thoroughly, and tested with my meter, and it works perfectly. No change on reassembly....can still start engine without pulling clutch. I'm thinking there must be a wiring problem downstream of the switch. Anybody know where these wires connect to the harness? I need to get at this connection with my meter.

In general I'm finding the bike's switches don't work well due to having sat for several years, unused. I've taken all of them apart, sprayed with contact cleaner, lubed, and reassembled. So far that process seems to be working. (Getting at that rear brake light switch was quite an exercise!!!) Fader switch doesn't work properly, but can't see how to clean it.

I noticed the rear shocks have oil leaks, and they don't hold air either. What are my options here? Are these things worth repairing?

Peter
pipelinepete
Streetster
Streetster

Post by pipelinepete »

Me Again wrote:If you think it looks good now,wait until you get it buffed out and bring that color back to life.
Totally agree. It's going to be one of the final things I do, once I get all the messy work done.

My thought is to use some kind of finish restoring compound, followed by a coat of wax. Does that sound right?

Peter
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

My friend I hope you got that bike for a good price because if you paid more than 4 grand for it, it sounds like the shop snookered you. They should have gone through that machine and gotten all that working before you plucked down the first dime for it. On the positive side, it is winter and you have lots of time to do the dirty work to get it in order. Hopefully it won't empty your bank account getting it road worthy. The bike should start in neutral without the clutch if this is what you are referring to. There is no safety switch that prevents it from starting in neutral. The bike should require the clutch pulled in to start it in gear however. Just keep in mind any questions you ask here are never dumb ones. We are here to help if you need us.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

pipelinepete wrote:1. The pretty badge on the top of the front fender is missing...Kawi parts manual says it's not available by itself. I am down to eBay on this one?
I think I have one off my teem green V XII.
Let me check for shore tonight, you can have it for the shipping cost if you want it
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
chevyman1
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): 1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1991 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1972 Yamaha LS2 100cc twin 2 stroke
Been liked: 15 times

Post by chevyman1 »

pipelinepete wrote:
Me Again wrote:If you think it looks good now,wait until you get it buffed out and bring that color back to life.
Totally agree. It's going to be one of the final things I do, once I get all the messy work done.

My thought is to use some kind of finish restoring compound, followed by a coat of wax. Does that sound right?

Peter
All you need is Honda cleaner polish spray it on wipe it off and be amazed
President - Mid-Atlantic Voyagers
1990 Voyager XII
1991 Voyager XII (Team Green)
1972 Yamaha LS2 (100cc Twin 2stroke)
Voyagers Voice editor SEND ME STORIES AND PICTURES PLEASE
long or shout. (kew427@comcast.net)
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

All you need is Honda cleaner polish spray it on wipe it off and be amazed[/quote]

I use that and it is great stuff, I keep in in the saddle bag with me, really good for cleaning bugs off faring and windshield, don't think it would be too good for cleaning bugs from teeth. :oh:
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Me Again »

Can't get the cruise control to work in OD. I think one problem is that the clutch safety switch is malfunctioning (i.e. I can start bike without pulling clutch in).
You don't need to pull the clutch in if the bike is in neutral.
There are about a half dozen switches for the cruise control.
just for starters there are 2 switches on the front brake -one for brake, one for cruise control. 2 switches on the rear brake ,same deal.
I'm sure that others who know more about cruise control will chime in and explain all this.
pipelinepete
Streetster
Streetster

Post by pipelinepete »

Me Again wrote:
Can't get the cruise control to work in OD. I think one problem is that the clutch safety switch is malfunctioning (i.e. I can start bike without pulling clutch in).
You don't need to pull the clutch in if the bike is in neutral.
There are about a half dozen switches for the cruise control.
just for starters there are 2 switches on the front brake -one for brake, one for cruise control. 2 switches on the rear brake ,same deal.
I'm sure that others who know more about cruise control will chime in and explain all this.
OK thanks. I didn't realize the clutch safety switch is designed differently....most bikes I've had won't allow a start without pulling the lever in all the way.

I am aware of the other switches on the brakes....I sprayed contact cleaner all through them (including the cruise set/ resume switch).

It's supposed to get cold again, so I may not be able to test again for a week or two....

Peter
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Hi Pete, I have found the front brake switch to be the problem most of the time. If your hearing is good; you can hear the two switch's click one after another. There is really no adj but you can loosen the phillips head screw and tweek it just a bit while tightening it up. Gene K.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by suzib6sw »

Peter, check the rear brake light swiches too.. there are two.. one for the light and one for the OD.. Both are awkward to get to.. Bending the metal bar is the easiest way of adjusting..

The Blooming can be removed with Scratch out.. Meguiars Motorcycle Plastic Cleaner was available from my local Walmart, but I strongly recommend
Liquid Glass polish... Takes a little bit of work and you need to make sure the paintwork is clean before you use it but the idea is, apply in shade , let it haze, polish off, stand in sun for 4 hours, bring back into the shade, cool , apply next layer, and repeat..
The more you get to use this stuff, the better.. Costs but my can has lasted over a year for two bikes,...
you can get a good 6 to 12" shine with this.. Works well on protecting polished alloy too .

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... %7CGRP2074___

There is another thing that will cause the OD not to work.. I assume its not setting...
Do the self cancelling indicators work?... 4 seconds plys 40 yards.. .. Does the radio volume increase and decrease with speed?

Cheers..
Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”