Wind protection for feet

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Bill52
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Wind protection for feet

Post by Bill52 »

Some improvements I want to ask about:

1) Highway pegs what is everyone using for higway pegs-I have the front engine guard lamp bracket attached to the bike.

2) Protection from the wind down lower near the feet is not very good any mods-the bike currently has a small chrome shield attached to the front engine guard but it seems to be to small

3) I have the Markland drivers backrest but it is too far forward and can't be set back any farther-any other brands available or can it be modified

4) any other tips anyone can give me?

Thanks
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Re: New Owner

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

When I bought my bike, it had a set of somewhat generic highway boards. I've grown to like them. In my opinion, you get more available positions than with pegs. Personal preference.

I too needed something for my feet. I wanted something that kept the cold off. If I ride the bike to work, I don't wear my boots. My work shoes are usually heavy on the mesh so they can breathe, and that means they get cold when the temps are in the 40's. So I fabbed something up. They ain't pretty but they get the job done. Started with some posterboard and cut out and folded something that looked like it would cover everywhere it needed to. Laid the posterboard over some sheet metal and traced the pattern. Cut out and bent the sheet metal and haven't looked back. Not even to paint them, LOL.

There should be a way to modify the Markland backrest. Been a while since I've looked at one, but it shouldn't be too hard for someone to change it up. If all else fails, go with a Utopia. http://www.utpr.com/ No bars in the way for the passenger.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Charlie from Illinois

Re: Wind protection for feet

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

I have Marvellas foot pegs for the driver and passenger. They look and work great. We also have the Utopia backrest. It is quite comfortable. We have an oversized, tinted windshield made by Cee Bailey. It is really endless the things that you can do to your bike. If others post on this topic, you will see what I mean. :-D
Wayne and Karen

Post by Wayne and Karen »

Charlie, I agree. I too bought the Marvellas driver highway pegs and the passenger foot rests. Both are great quality, fit, and work great. My wife really loves the extra foot position on long rides.
Marty in Texas
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Marty in Texas »

I have the Foot Wings from Baker Built. See the link and scroll to the bottom of the page.
http://www.bakerbuilt.com/kawasaki.htm
I put them on not for wind protection, but water protection. My feet got soaked when riding in a down pour. They work well for that, and they work pretty good for wind protection.
Marty
If I have to explain, you won't understand.

1996 Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200A
1978 Yamaha XS650SE

CMA #63099 North Texas Area Rep
TMRA #30043
IBA #31625
causeofhim

Post by causeofhim »

Man I am dying of heat on my Voyager and it's only the beginning of June in Wisconsin. This is my first bike in 30 years that had any windshield, let alone a full fairing. I'm trying to think of ways to ge more air flow and your blocking yours.

I suppose I'll be in the same boat when October rolls around. :hmm:
WhiskeyDoc

Post by WhiskeyDoc »

I just switched from highway boards to Küryakyn longhorn dually highway pegs because they are almost infinitely adjustable. (Very similar to the Marvellas pegs) The boards were very limited and my knees would begin to hurt on long trips.

I also purchased a set of waterproof "gaiters" from Bass Pro Shop to wear while riding in shoes or boots. They keep my trousers in place. I can tie the water crystal neck coolers around my ankles under the gaiters in hot weather or wear them with heavy socks in cold weather. The advantages of rain trousers, but only from the knee down. My $.02.
Charlie from Illinois

I put Baker air wings (uppers and lowers) on this spring and I can get quite a bit of air on me now. It's not like a bike with no windshield or faring but it is a great improvement over the stock set up.
causeofhim

Post by causeofhim »

The air wings allow more air to hit you?
Charlie from Illinois

Sure! They are adjustable and can either keep more air off of you or bring a whole lot more toward the driver. Pretty slick.
Marty in Texas
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Marty in Texas »

causeofhim wrote:The air wings allow more air to hit you?
Just the uppers are adjustable, lowers(or foot wings) are not.
Marty
If I have to explain, you won't understand.

1996 Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200A
1978 Yamaha XS650SE

CMA #63099 North Texas Area Rep
TMRA #30043
IBA #31625
stasch

Post by stasch »

+1 on the Baker Air Wings. IMO they are a must to allow me to tolerate hot weather riding. They are also quite nice during cold riding to divert air away from you.

The first year we had our Voyager, we went to Arkansas and Missouri in very hot (100+ F) temps and roasted. Very uncomfortable.

I got the full set, uppers and lowers (but not the foot wings) and they made a huge difference on the same trip the following year.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”