Sunshine State Voyagers ride.

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Sunshine State Voyagers ride.

Post by gearheadfla »

We rode with the Sunshine state Voyagers to the Yalaha Bakery yesterday. It's just outside Leesburg Fl.. Lori and I left Pt. St. Lucie around 5.30 am and rode up US1 to Melbourne and met up with Mike and the guys at Dennys. At that point I took my GPS off and put it in the trunk and under Mike's leadership I was totally lost the whole way, just like I like it. He led us down mostly all back two lane roads and by a very nice lake and park named Mellonpark ( I didn't even know I had a park) lol. About block past the park Mike suddenly whipped into a Hospital parking lot. So we all followed scratching our heads only to find out that he missed a turn about a block back and was not having a Heart attack. lol. After some very nice backroads and some small old towns we arrived at the Bakery where other S.S.V. members was waiting.
Word must have got out that we was going to be there because the place was packed lol
We grabbed a couple tables and moved them under a tree to get some shade to sit in.
We found a nice tree to get under as the temp had to be ticking 90 today.
After eating some good food and drink ( rumor has it that Doug was forced to have a Root Beer float) we headed out
for the ride home, again I was lost most of the way and it was great, playing follow the leader. He even found some hills and curves in Fla. to ride. lol. Got back to Cocoa and we stopped for a cool drink and bathroom break before going off on our own ways back home. Lori and I ended up riding down A1A along the beach from Patrick Air Force base to Ft. Pierce.
We made one stop to get the kinks out on the beach in Vero before heading to the house, got home around 7pm. It was a great day with good people and I had no idea where I was most the time, Priceless. lol OH and yes that is Pool Fun Noodles on my highway pegs, They look stupid but are very comfy on the backs of my ankles when I lay my legs across them on long rides, I take them off when I'm not on the Highways. lol Lori wanted me to get pink ones instead, NOT. lol
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Been liked: 0

Re: Sunshine State Voyagers ride.

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Nice write up Jim. Thanks for posting. Hey, the pink ones would match your pink helmet. :lol:
2010 Voyager 1700
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Post by biggersm »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the writeup and the pictures. I have a few pics that are currently on Marcia's computer that she took while we were riding but I haven't had a chance to put them into photo bucket and then to post here. I will try to do that tomorrow. I remember one of the pictures showed our Hill Country. I do apologize for my rather erratic turns (the person behind me, Ken and Rita, were really surprised on a couple occasions) but we all made it safe.

I like the pictures at The Yalaha Bakery. We should point out that the folks in the tie dye shirt were not us, but they were a group of Parrot Heads (Jimmy Buffett fans). It certainly is more relaxed there than downtown, however even Yalaha is about three times more busy than it used to be five years ago when we started going there.

Yes it was a great day, great weather and great friends.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)

Post by biggersm »

As promised here are a few more pictures roughly in chronological order. The first couple photos are those that rode in from the East Coast. In Florida we talk in broad terms of East Coast and West Coast (meaning Gulf Coast) and then sometimes we get more specific with terms such as Space Coast, Nature Coast, Treasure Coast, etc so the group that is in the photos road in from the Space Coast (Brevard County) and Treasure Coast (St Lucie County).

I think the picture below is around Fort Mellon Park in Sanford.

This picture below was a much needed hydration break at McDonalds in Sanford, State Route 44 near I-4 (next time I will stay on the shore of Lake Monroe farther west).

Some of the Voyagers were already waiting for us at the Yalaha Bakery

Below is another picture of us and our bikes Image

You will probably get a laugh out of the next couple pictures, but by Florida standards this is is a curvy road (the road next to the Bakery after some bikers road by en route to the madness in downtown Leesburg).

So if the picture above is a twisty road than the picture below is The Florida Hill Country!

Well at least we have year round riding with some of the best riding actually in the winter months. :thmup:

I have to work on an article for the Voyager's Voice now. Send us a PM if you are in the Sunshine State.
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
gearheadfla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1988 Voyager XII
1989 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII
2007 Vulcan Nomad
2006 Honda Rebel
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gearheadfla »

Thanks for the pics Mike, but you should get your camera looked at. It's makes my belly look way bigger than it is. :gig:
And it turned my beard gray. :oh:
Jim in Fl. 88 XII
89 XII-parts bike-scraped
01 XII-sold
07 Vulcan Nomad
Patriot Guard Rider, Florida.
Sunshine State Voyagers
Veterans Nation Riding Association
tregal16
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by tregal16 »

gearheadfla wrote:Thanks for the pics Mike, but you should get your camera looked at. It's makes my belly look way bigger than it is. :gig:
And it turned my beard gray. :oh:
great pictures and I am sure a great time also!

Jim, I have the same problem with cameras... I think it is a conspiracy...LOL :gig:
If it is worth having, it is worth taking care of...

2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII
FBT
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Today:
My teal and black 1993 Voyager XII

In the past:
1987 Voyager XIII
1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
1982 Honda Silverwing
1981 Honda Silverwing
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

Post by FBT »

Great pictures and write up.

I actually tried to get down there from Jacksonville. Unfortunately, I was heading that way on 19, about 30 minutes out, and traffic came to a complete stop. After talking to a few folks who were closer to the incident, a biker came over a rise and a large deer was in the road. He hit the deer and the two bikes with him ran into him and the deer. By the time I came upon the stop, two life flight helicopters had just left, and the first rider was covered by a sheet.

It took the joy of the first 2 hours of my ride away completely. I decided to head home, thinking about this poor soul and wondering about the other two rider the whole way.

At some point I'll link up with you all!
Tim in Jacksonville, FL

1993 Voyager XII Owner

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”