Rusty Bolt

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

EVAHank
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2010 Honda NT700V
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Rusty Bolt

Post by EVAHank »

Hi!!
I'm trying to pull the bar end weights off my V13, I need to install a new handlebar control set, and the weight screws are frozen solid. Is there any way you can get them off without having to take a hacksaw to them? Any advice on this subject would be appreciated!!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, Rusty & Ol'Faithful
Voyager 1300/6~The Original Voyager!
Ride Safe and Sane; and PLEASE-ATGATT!!
Hank, Ol'Faithful, and The Silver Bullet
'03 Voyager XII~Last of the Breed!
bikerking.biz
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1970 Honda CL 350
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Rusty Bolt

Post by bikerking.biz »

If the screw heads aren't too messed up, turn the handlebars to full left, and use an impact driver to remove right bar end screw. To remove the other one, turn handlebars to full right, then use impact to remove that one. If screws are too messed up, then take a flat blade screwdriver sharpened on one side and along with a hammer try to loosen screw. You could also try an easy out, or one of the new easy outs from Sears I think that act like a regular easy out on the screw head only. Good luck. :pray:
Biker King
http://www.bikerking.biz
Check out our huge & redesigned website, which is now your POWER BROKER & "KING of Everything Motorcycle & More"! "Like" our FB page for FB only discounts & more.
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

Smack the end of the screwdriver while inserted properly in the head of the screw a few times. Then try to remove. I ended up not wanting the bar end weights at all, so I used my die grinder and ground the end of the screw head off and then once the bar end weight was gone, I removed it completely by using a pair of Vice-Grips.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
Rusty - SC Iowa
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Rusty - SC Iowa »

The biggest ingredient needed on a rusty bolt is patience. Squirt bug juice (WD-40, etc.) on and around offending screw. Instead of damaging a screwdriver, use an apex and apex holder and use this to:
1. Help straighten out the phillips head, &
2. Vibrates the screw breaking apart any corrosion in the threads, and working your solvent into the threads.

Do this several times before trying to loosen it, then before you loosen it, try to tighten it just a skosh then try to loosen it.

On my antique tractors with 60 years of rust I will graduate to a torch, BUT I don't think I would try that on my Voyager.

Next go borrow an air hammer or rivit gun, and an "Old Man", (any aircraft mechanic there at your work knows what that is), and that is guaranteed to remove any stuck screw. But when you use the "Old Man", remember to try to tighten it just a skosh before trying to loosen it.

If all of the above has failed, then start drilling the screw out. Start with a small diameter bit, working your way slowly larger until you get to the threads. STOP, and using a pick, carefully work the screws threads out of the handlebar threads.

But really Rusty, if I have access to an "Old Man", the screw is coming out.
Still plowin.
Rusty - SC Iowa
Cruiser
Cruiser

Rusty, here is link of an "Old Man". Works good on Locktite also.

http://www.panamericantool.com/products.cfm
Still plowin.
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Larry From Mn wrote:The screws are not rusted. They use Red loctite on the bar end screws.
Any of the Voyagers I seen with the bar end screws off did not have red loctite used on them. Blue maybe, but if red was put there, it shouldn't have been, that is for use as a stud mount and can be difficult to remove. Blue loctite is for a "liquid locknut" for screws. Mine did not have loctite on, and never had a problem with it loosening.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Then you were just "lucky". Maybe the dealer applied that for some reason to your bike. Or, maybe I didn't see enough Voyagers when they removed the bar ends, but none I seen seem to have any kind of thread lock on them. Mine didn't, and never had a problem with it loosening on me. :hmm:
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
EVAHank
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2010 Honda NT700V

Post by EVAHank »

Hey, Rusty...(& Everyone Else)
I've tried wd-40, knock'er loose, and several other types of penetrants on this screw, and it will not budge! In the process, I've broken at least 2 (ea) #3 screwdriver tips!! While I did spend 10 years in the A.F., most of it was as Security Police. I now work at the VA Hospital here in Albuquerque, as a mechanic. I followed the link you provided and spent a lot of time drooling over the tools. Unfortunately, not knowing what an 'old man' was, I could not recognize it. I'm going to try heating the screws up with my small Propane torch (hoping the bar end weight itsself will provide a good enough heat sink to keep my electrics from getting fried), then taking it off with a high quality driver of some sort.
There is some confusion with names that I need to clear up right quick. My name is Hank. 'Rusty' is my 1988 Voyager 1300 (no relation to Rusty from Iowa.) My '03 Voyager 1200 I call 'Ol'Faithful'. Actually, you all can call me anything you want except late to dinner! :lol:

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank from Albuquerque
Rusty (My '88 V1300), &
Ol'Faithful (My '03 V12)
Voyager 1300/6~The Original Voyager!
Ride Safe and Sane; and PLEASE-ATGATT!!
Hank, Ol'Faithful, and The Silver Bullet
'03 Voyager XII~Last of the Breed!
midlifec

Post by midlifec »

While we're talking about bar weights, can you get those in chrome either from OEM or aftermarket? Maybe there is a better idea out there, but the paint is worn on the top side of mine and it seems like a waste to paint them only to have it wear off again.
Central Iowa Dave
Mike in IL

Post by Mike in IL »

The three I helped get off, all three had the red loctite on them. I used a hand held impact driver, and had someone hold the bars steady. All three came off, but each was a bit of a bugger. I used Smokey's advise on putting a "lapping paste" /grinding paste on the screw driver head of the impact driver. This helped it stay in the phillip screw head and not slip out and strip the screw head. It did work, but again, it took time. I hope you get yours out.
Rusty - SC Iowa
Cruiser
Cruiser

Sorry Hank for my screwup, had a brain fart and thought I was talking to someone else. The "Old Man", or screw buster is carried by Snap On I believe also. If yours has the red Locktite on it, well it's going to take more patience than if it was just rust. Impact driver is the same as using a screw buster with an air hammer, you just have more control and hits with the screw buster. Wish you were closer so I could come help you with it.
Still plowin.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”