Plastic locking pins

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

RodWestphal
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 209 VV1700
2008 Concours14
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Plastic locking pins

Post by RodWestphal »

Not sure exactly what they are called, but I installed the helmet headset kit on my 1700 last night. I had to remove the bottom tray from the trunk which is held in with these pins. I had worked with them before, so know how they work. Saw on a post elsewhere someone had broken a couple of them.
Anyhow, to remove them, push the center in about 1/4 inch which will release the locking mechanism. Then just lift under the top cap with your finger nails and they will come right out. To install, push the center pin out the top about 1/4" and insert into the hole. Then just push the center pin in flush with the top.
Fairly simple once you know, but it was a frustrating time for my first one. Have them on my Concoursr14, so I have previous experience.
RR
Have Motorcycle Will Travel
2009 VV1700
2008 Concours14
jhellman
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager

Re: Plastic locking pins

Post by jhellman »

Thanks for that guidance - I broke 2 of the 4 trying to replace them after I installed the headset kit.
Joe Hellman
Central Point, OR
mkennedy
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by mkennedy »

Thanks Rod got the audio stuff now just had not got to putting in on still have not installed new computer will let you know how that does Murray
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

We use the screw type tufloks where I work, work better than the Kaw type: http://www.wclco.com/pdf/plastics/042.pdf
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”