GPS connected to intercom

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Retired8
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

GPS connected to intercom

Post by Retired8 »

Has anyone connected their gps into the factory fitted communication system? I am in the process of fitting a gps and CB radio, but because of the limited number of voyagers here in Australia there is limited information out there. Someone told me there are only 20 voyagers allocated to Australia this year. CB is not a factory option in Australia. There is an AUX connector and IPOD connector located inside the left fairing pocket, so I should be able to use the AUX connector for the CB. I will buy the factory communication cables and a Garmin zumo 550 gps. Over here they mostly fit UHF CB radios in a bracket to the handle bars. I would welcome any suggestion especially about the gps as I don't want to install another communication system eg starcom.
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Re: GPS connected to intercom

Post by Turbo4x4 »

You may want to try the Garmin Nuvi 750 GPS. While not waterproof, it does have a built in FM transmitter, which can transmit the GPS info through your radio simply by tuning your radio to whatever frequency you have the GPS set at. I was having the same problem as you, trying to figure out how to integrate all this stuff, and this seemed like the best solution. Simply set one of your preset buttons on the FM band to match your GPS, and any time you want to hear your directions, just press the preset. Hope this helps. Don't know of any other way to do it, but there's lots of riders out there, so I'm sure many other ideas. Good luck
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
vmaxed

Post by vmaxed »

I would give Kennedy a try for the GPS.

http://www.cellset.com/motorcycleitems.html

Ed.. ;-)
2011 Pearl White/Vogue Silver Victory Cross Country
2009 Metallic Silver Goldwing
Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff
http://www.ednortonsr.com
Retired8

Post by Retired8 »

Thanks for that, I have already purchased a Garmin zumo and had it fitted to the bike. The guy who fitted it connected it to the AUX connector in the left fairing pocket and replaced the original AUX connector with a dual plug which also allows me to connect an MP3 player. Now by selecting AUX via the left handlebar switchs I can hear voice commands from the GPS as well as music from the GPS built in MP3 player or the attached MP3 player.
BMARTIN

Post by BMARTIN »

I have connected my Zumo through the MPF/accessory input in the left side storage box, and connected the helmet speakers up by using the rear speaker connection under the seat. This allows you to control the volume by using the rear speaker settings and the grip mounted volume control. The only disadvantage is you are then "hard wired" or plugged in on the bike and must remember to disconnect the wiring to your helmet as you dismount. Blue tooth is available via the Zumo into a Cardo systems intercom also.
Any other suggestions
steve
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager 1700

Post by steve »

Where have you positioned the GPS. Looking for any ideas out there. If to the windshield, just wondering how well it would stay there due to the normal vibration.

Thanks for any input.

Steve
Steven and Karen Tennant
2009 Voyager 1700
Columbus Georgia
Mapper
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700

Post by Mapper »

This may be a little late, by I mounted my Zumo 660 in the centre of the bars between the riser bolts. It is accessable and does not block any of the dash display.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”