Front Tire Selection

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

veeger
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Front Tire Selection

Post by veeger »

I am replacing the front tire on my 2011 Voyager 1700 soon. Although the OEM Bridgestone front wears well, my only complaint is the vague steering feedback of the front end. My shop and information on the net point to the tall profile of this bias ply tire. That said, my questions are:
1) is there another front tire that, despite the tall sidewall profile has better road and steering feedback? I run Dunlop E3 on the rear.
2) has anyone installed a front tire with slightly lower sidewall profile?

Thanks!
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Front Tire Selection

Post by HMB Don »

I'm on my second E-3, the last one went 24.5K. It works good all around, in the last two day we've ridden 700 miles in the rain and no problems even when riding through deep standing water.

I wanted to use the new American Elite Dunlop, they now have it in black sidewalls. this is the latest tire developed by Dunlop, it's made for H D motorcycles. I use the American Elite 180/16 on the rear, with dual compound. With the new fork springs and these tires I've run through sweepers at near the ton mark, with floor boards just kissing the pavement. No wobbles or vagueness from the front.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
veeger
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700

Post by veeger »

Don,
Please tell me all about the new fork springs... just springs or with cartridge emulators? Did springs raise the front end? Do you like the E3 front better than the OEM Bridgstone? Thanks!
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

At this time I only had money for the fork springs, the emulators will have to wait until next year. No the Race Tech fork springs will not raise the front end of the Voyager. These are more of a custom spring, they're only 2/3 the length of the stock spring, spacer material comes with the fork springs. So you'll have to make a spacer for the remaining length. This is how you adjust the ride height and preload.

My Voyager 1700 now sits a little lower on the front.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
1700Guy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2010 Voyager 1700
1982 Honda 500 Silverwing
1981 Honda CB900C

Post by 1700Guy »

I use the Excedra Max on the front and E3 on the back I feel it works as good as any, the Excedra Max has a thicker tread than the stock Excedra.

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”