A serious question

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

A serious question

Post by hank43 »

Why couldn't a guy mount auto horns on his bike? I know someone with a Gold Wing that has some of the loudest horns I have ever heard on a bike. I'm gonna try it, soon as I can get to the junk yard.....

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
biggersm
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2008 Goldwing Airbag
2000 Voyager XII
1998 Suzuki Intruder 1500
1989 Honda PC 800
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750
1993 Yamaha Seca 600
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 2)
1981 Yamaha XV920 (part 1)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: A serious question

Post by biggersm »

I'm more familiar with the XII than the 1700 but consider doing a forum search for "Stebel". From what I have read they will get your attention!

FWIW - The GL 1800 has American car like sounding horns. I feel pretty good about the sound. :!!

Also consider FIAMM or PIAA
Mike and Marcia Biggerstaff

Melbourne FL

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

You can mount whatever horns you want. Just make sure that if they draw more current than the horn circuit can handle. If they they do you will need to wire the new horns up with a relay and properly rated wiring.
2010 Voyager 1700
Turbo4x4
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black

Post by Turbo4x4 »

hank43 wrote:Why couldn't a guy mount auto horns on his bike? I know someone with a Gold Wing that has some of the loudest horns I have ever heard on a bike. I'm gonna try it, soon as I can get to the junk yard.....

hank43
Also, be aware of the limited front suspension travel. Some of us have mounted the "Bad Boy" in the stock horn location, only to dent the front fender on the first substantial pot hole. The good part... it is an extremely loud horn that can't be ignored. I know nothing about the physical characteristics of the Stebel, but have heard (no pun intended) that it is a very good horn.
Turbo4x4
2009 Voyager - Titanium/Black
"If we haven't done it......it's on our "to do" list"
joelcolletti
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1994 Voyager XII (purchased new from California Kawasaki's showroom floor)
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by joelcolletti »

I have a chrome Stebel Nautilus on my XII; and they are approximately 143 DBs. Plenty loud and compact too. It needs a 30 amp relay which I purchased from Dormans, but you can find them anywhere. Also, the horn needs to be mounted at a 15 degree angle to function properly. I try never to use the horn, and instead drive more defensively, but sometimes you need to be heard to be seen. They were designed for Italy's motorcycle police force.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-LOUD-BLAS ... 44&vxp=mtr
1994 Voyager XII- NorCal Voyagers, Montara, CA
Miles of Smiles :0)
rick
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 05 vn800b
12 Voyager ABS

Post by rick »

I am using 2 Wolo horns I purchased from Auto Zone on my 2012 Voyager. Using original horn wire to activate a 30 amp relay then horns wired through the relay with fused wire direct to battery. I mounted the in the pockets just above the vents in the lower fairing. Cant remember the model number for the, but they are red/black, sold as a pair. Were $30?? Got relay separately.
05 Vulcan 800 Classic
12 Vulcan Voyager ABS
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 4 times

Post by NSASarge »

+1 Stebel Compact Chrome Air BLASTER. At 130+ db it is probably the loudest horn you can get. I mounted mine in place of the stock whussy horn. I used the stock wiring to trigger the low voltage side of the relay to close the circuit and ran a fused (near the battery) 10Ga wire directly to the relay and a 10Ga wire from the relay to the horn. I have not had the clearance problem (yet) with the front fender. Huess I need to find a way to test it. The Stebel I bought had a "special" 90-degree bolt that made it impossible for the horn to get knocked loose. I can't find the internet vendor I bought it from. The ONLY problem I have heard of is that the horn will sometimes inhale a bug or two, OR, with the opening of the horn facing forward it ingests dirt and bugs to jam it up, My buddy told me to test the horn every time you ride. A shot of Amsoil Spray oil into the intake keeps things running smoothly.

I really want to mount a 5-gallon air tank and compressor under my truck and put a train horn on it.
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI