Intercom

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Scott1968
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Intercom

Post by Scott1968 »

I just bought my first Voyager 1200 and was wondering how the intercom works.
WhiskeyDoc

Post by WhiskeyDoc »

Scott what year is your Voyager? If it is an older model it probably has the Y-cord as a stock install, newer than about 1990, the Y-cord was an extra. You need to order one if you don't have one. Check with the Neal (nneal1@netzero.com ) about ordering a Y-Cord.

If you need the audio manual for the Clarion let me know via a PM and I'll send you a *.pdf copy. Good luck.
Mike in Pekin , Il
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Mike in Pekin , Il »

You can get a "y" cord from either Neal or Carl or you can buy it direct from airrider. I would suggest Sierra electroncs for you headsets. there is alreay a pigtail on the radio for the "y" cord. if you take the headlight out it will be right there and it is labeled intercom the other one should be labeled CB. it is plug and play you route it through the bike under the seat to the back. As far as mounting the connector for storage I would suggest you mount them in a manner in which water will not get into them if they are nto being used.
Ride Safe and Ride Long,

Mike in Pekin, IL
CelticArmor

Re: Intercom

Post by CelticArmor »

Trying to follow this thread. I recently purchased a 2002 Voyager. No mention of an Intercom anywhere. It does have the AM/FM Cassette System. Is it already wired for an intercom or would I need extensive modifications?

Thanks ahead of time for the patience and response!

CA
Charlie from Illinois

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

Behind the radio. Are the plugs for the intercom. The y-cord that is talked about is something you may have to get. Everything else is there and ready to go. Take the headlight out by removing the two screws that hold the plastic frame for the headlight. Then the headlight is held in by four screws. Remove those. Do not remove the cable that is attached to the headlight. Pull the headlight forward and out. Then on the back of the radio are the cables for intercom and CB. If there is nothing plugged into the intercom plug, you need to get the y-cord and you are all set to go! If you have a question--- just ask.
CelticArmor

Post by CelticArmor »

Looks like Airrider has the Y Cord for about $39.

Where would I get the headsets???

How do we control volume and such, through the Radio?
Charlie from Illinois

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

Get ahold of WhiskeyDoc and get his pdf.
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

CelticArmor wrote:Looks like Airrider has the Y Cord for about $39.

Where would I get the headsets???

How do we control volume and such, through the Radio?

Contact Neil about headsets!!! If you don't have his conctact info, and don't know how to PM him, post back up and I can find it for you.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
Neal
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager, 2002 Voyager
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Neal »

:thmup: Thanks Flip. That $39 Y is actually just a short (6") 5pin to 5 pin Y, instead of the necessary 6 pin to 5pin.
Dealer for all Air Rider products, and Nolan helmets and headsets.
raddmarl

Post by raddmarl »

Neal wrote::thmup: Thanks Flip. That $39 Y is actually just a short (6") 5pin to 5 pin Y, instead of the necessary 6 pin to 5pin.

So is there more than one cable that needs to be purchased to set this up. I can't seem to find a 6 pin to 5 pin. Is this a Y cable or is it some cable that you need to connect to the Y cable.

I'm a beginner to all this, sorry if my questions are basic.
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

No, you only need one Y cable to set the intercom up. There is a description on how to do this in the AVA Tech Center pages under the accessory section. J&M supplies these cords as well as Neal who sells Air Rider Y cords. You can contact Neal if you wish to use his by PM'ing or emailing him from this message forum using his username "neal". J&M cords are available at some dealers (your AVA membership card may be good for a discount at dealers), or by ordering from J&M. Their web address is located on the related links page.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
raddmarl

Post by raddmarl »

Thank you for the Clarification. I will check it out.
Mailman Joe

Post by Mailman Joe »

Air -rider didn't answer any of my questions about the y-cord and even told me that a y-cord was not used...go to J&M corp website for the "Helmet Headset Junction Lead Kit for Kawasaki Voyager XII" part # HI-11 (this is the y-cord). This is about 7' long and you plug this into the pigtail in the back of the radio. J&M also has headsets from 99.99 to 229.99 each; these you place into your helmet and plug into the other end of the y-cord. The control for the intercom are on the radio itself. One is for the volume and the other is for the mic sensitivity. I'm just hooking mine up.
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

If you want any answers about Air Rider, ask Neal on this board. :-D
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
raddmarl

Post by raddmarl »

Thanks for the help.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”