Notes from the Rally in Asheville

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Notes from the Rally in Asheville

Post by debron »

Wow! The rally is off to a great start! Everyone is excited and very upbeat and positive. Most of the folks are here though some still have to check in tomorrow. The hotel/resort is very nice and after a couple of hiccups due to changing staff, things are running smoothly. Here are Mike and Don (with help from Clyde) setting up the banners. . . .

. . . and Robin and Bronson sorting rally shirts for attendee packets. . . .

. . . and what's a motorcycle rally without motorcycles?

A view of downtown Asheville from the resort:

Doing what you do at a BBQ dinner:

As the sun sets in the west, one of the pools on the grounds.

Tomorrow the rides start with one guided ride going to the Tale of the Dragon and one to the Rattlesnake, both with lots of great curves.

[If any rally attendees have comments or photos they would like to post, you are welcome to post them here.]
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Re: Notes from the Rally in Asheville

Post by debron »

Another great day. We had 12 more members show up and register today that were not pre-registered. After taking care of some rally administrative business I decided to ride through Maggie Valley, the Cherokee reservation, through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg, Dollywood, then loop back to Asheville.

The area is spectacular riding and Maggie Valley is gorgeous. I'd like to be able to come back and ride with the Palmetto Voyagers in Maggie Valley in October, I'll bet the fall colors will be beautiful! A lot of traffic going through the National Park, though a great ride on a nice curvy road up and over the mountains. The Great Smoky Mountains are aptly named, as they were "smoky" today:

Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry,
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew.

--Johnny Cash, "A Boy Named Sue"
It's mid July and I hit Gatlinburg, Tennessee today but my name ain't Sue and I didn't have a brew, though that would have been nice. It was nice and cool riding through the Smokeys but coming out of the mountains into Gatlinburg was like hitting a wall of heat. It was instant, no transition. There was a "bypass" around Gatlinburg and now I know why! The "highway" through town is long, very long, and choked with traffic, tourists, pedestrians, and tourist trap after tourist trap. A mite different than in the days of Johnny Cash's song! I wanted to take a photo but parking was off the main street and you had to pay for it, and it was so crowded I just wanted to get out of there. So I did, but it took awhile.

Don Medina lead a ride through the "Tail of the Dragon," an 11 mile stretch of road with 318 curves. I rode it last year so decided on the Great Smokys. Riders come from all over the country, even from all over the world to ride this road. Not all make it as shown by the "Tree of Shame." If you crash, pick up your pieces or you could end up here (Thanks to Joel Colletti for the Dragon photos):

Here's Joel with the "Dragon" at Deal's Gap, either the beginning or the end of the road, depending on which way you are going:

. . . and the group at a break in the ride:

At days end it was time for the traditional "Welcome Dinner" and we "ate good"!:

Before dinner I lounged briefly at the pool. See those nice white clouds and blue sky in the background? Less than two hours later, near the end of dinner, they announced a storm was coming in and that it was already here. It was pouring down rain and everyone rushed out to cover their bikes, me included. It was akin to shutting the barn door after the horses escape. Everything was already soaked and in another hour the rain had more or less subsided. But it's not over yet. The forecast for the next two day is wet. We'll see. . . . The bike show and light show scheduled for tonight is going to be tomorrow night instead!

Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Ditto
Streetster
Streetster
Been liked: 0

Post by Ditto »

You are right Ron. We "ate good" and too much as usual. Joanne and I really enjoyed being at your table and having dinner with you. I will say again publicly, thanks again for all you and the other board members do.
Gary (Ditto) GA
1993 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII (Parts bike)
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

After last evening's rain, today was pretty good. Comfortably warm and intermittent clouds and sun until...(more on that later.) Robin started off the day by over sleeping (alarm didn't go off?? Have we heard that before??) but did make it down in time (well, maybe ten minutes late) to give her Womens Seminar, which was well attended:

The rest of the day was fairly quiet with people out doing their own thing or coming in to the rally room to kabitz or buy merchandise or just hang out. Mike asked me to give a seminar on the website and I agreed because I knew no one would come. Well, the room was pretty full so I went through the website, forum, and classified ads and gave some tips for getting around the forum quickly and easily. Later Mike gave a riding demonstration and instructions similar to what he gives in his police motor officer training.

We were able to have the show 'n shine bike show and light show that were postponed from last night and the bike games. The show was first and as usual it was a difficult choice voting for best because there were so many great bikes to choose from. These are just a few:

Next came the bike games. As these went on it was getting on towards dusk and the clouds were getting blacker and larger. See the dark cloud in this photo below? It just kept getting bigger and blacker. We had thunder and lightning before the games were over but no rain yet. By the way, it looks like no one is watching the games, but that's a false indicator as most of the people were at the other end or along the side, behind me when taking this photo.

By the time the games were over it was dark enough for the light show. As rain was threatening, we had the light show under the canopy at the main entrance to the hotel. The three contestants made three passes through the entry then stopped for a final look:

Just as the light show was ending the clouds opened up with thunder, lightning, and rain. Like last night, the heavy rain lasted for about half an hours or so then it was just normal rain. It's raining as I write this but it's more of a summer shower now.

Everyone voted for the bike show and light show contestants but the winners for the show, games, and light show won't be announced until tomorrow night's banquet. So stay tuned...!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

What a great closing day for the rally. Mostly. A little cloudy this morning but then the sun came out! About 1:30 I stepped outside and it was wonderful. Warm, though humid, a lot of blue sky, some clouds. The storms had passed! Ten minutes later it was pouring down rain. Still warm, still humid, but wet!

The closing banquet was as good as any I've been to (better!) We presented the awards for the winners in various categories but I won't list all of them here because I can't remember them all. However, Delbert Stephens (aka Mr. Backfist) won 1st place for the light show with his amazing Goldwing 1800. Though this photo doesn't do it justice, It was a joy to watch:

Here's Delbert receiving his award (yes, Don and Bronson are standing):

Robin ordered a special 25th Anniversary cake for desert. Here it is with Bob and Char Jones who had the honor of cutting the first piece:

As is tradition, the location of next year's rally was announced via video presentation. Here you can watch the same video that rally attendees saw tonight announcing the 2015 rally location and dates. Note: The dates of the 2015 rally are a departure from the past several years. The reasons why were discussed at the rally.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8C-TOSjZ80&hd=1[/video]

Tomorrow it's homeward bound!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

sorry but I am showing a blocking of the video "This video contains content from WMG, The Harry Fox Agency, Inc. (HFA) and Warner Chappell, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." . Whatever that means. :cry2:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Ditto
Streetster
Streetster
Been liked: 0

Post by Ditto »

sorry but I am showing a blocking of the video "This video contains content from WMG, The Harry Fox Agency, Inc. (HFA) and Warner Chappell, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." . Whatever that means. :cry2:
Same here. :gmad:
Gary (Ditto) GA
1993 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII (Parts bike)
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Post by debron »

The video contains a copyrighted song. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. In this case it not. It worked last night when I posted it but no longer. I have another option for the video but it may be a day or two before I can work on it. Sorry about that!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”