2006 Goldwing

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

onegunguitar
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

2006 Goldwing

Post by onegunguitar »

Was visiting my dad this past week in Terre Haute,In. and got to take his 2006 GW for ride. They are a nice bike but honestly,I'll keep my Voyager,hahaha. I'm 5'8 and I felt a little cramped. My girlfriend wasn't overly impressed with riding on the back of it either.I'm sure I could get used to it but I don't see what all the hype is about with them. I was also surprised of the rpm's with the relation to speed,I figured they'd be geared a little taller but they seem to run fairly close to the same on the tach as the Voyagers. All in all they are a nice bike but we have no urge to go buy one. :gig: :gig:
1999 Voyager XII
mountainman
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800 L2

Re: 2006 Goldwing

Post by mountainman »

It's great that you got to compare the bikes. I purchased a 2012 Wing a few months ago and really like it. The reason I went to a new one was because 2012 & up have more leg room. I have rode older ones and felt same way I'm 6'. We really liked the Voyager XII and would of bought a new one in a minute if they would of continued to make it and would have up dated it. I'm not a v-twin bike person, really my favorite is a in-line four. When I first rode a 12 wing the handling is light years ahead of early 80's technology. The Wing is heavier then the Voyager but for me Wing is way easier to handle. I miss the Voyager air ride it was great riding but a pain, just like this morning at the hotel I crank the Wing and start pulling out and a flash goes through my mind you forgot to check the rear air shocks. Then a smile comes on my face as the big six says lets giddy up! Now there are things we miss about Voyager, it has great air flow around fairing and windshield. Took a while but finally got Wing to my liking air flow wise and had to add bar backs 1 1/4". Miss the big trunk on Voyager. But with all the comfort stuff heated seats, grips, foot warmers which actually floats warm air up to your waist.
Oh and the on board navigation two thumbs up on that one! 1300 watt alternator no more worries on that one. Our Wing I think turns about 200-300 rpms less then Voyager did on road high gear. Doesn't matter anyway because all the thing wants to do is go! I can pass vehicles on interstate fully loaded with no stress just a little twist. Well those are some of my thoughts after owning both and still hold a place for the Voyager XII in my thoughts. mike
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800 L2
1996 Kawasaki Voyager XII (sold)
1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII (sold)
1983 Honda Silverwing GL650 I (sold)
1982 Suzuki GS750TZ (sold)
1977 Kawasaki KZ650 (sold)
1974 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold)
onegunguitar
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by onegunguitar »

Now you're making me want to try a newer GW!! Thanks alot,hahahaha. I can't afford one right now anyways,so I guess I'll have to stick with the ole' Voyager a few more years.
1999 Voyager XII
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

From images I have a hard time seeing where Honda got the additional leg room in these later models. The engine seems located in the same position as the 2006 and still takes up the same room. Also, do you need a pilot's license to fly that thing? I know I would need one just to navigate all those buttons and gadgets.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
mountainman
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800 L2

Post by mountainman »

Sorry Mr Jensee, I should have been more specific and said knee room. The extra space is where your knees are to fairing lowers. Older style was really cramped, don't no why or how but new ones are different. The pilots license I don't have any idea on that one. But I'm still trying to remember what button does what. I used to be better at the button thing when I was younger!
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800 L2
1996 Kawasaki Voyager XII (sold)
1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII (sold)
1983 Honda Silverwing GL650 I (sold)
1982 Suzuki GS750TZ (sold)
1977 Kawasaki KZ650 (sold)
1974 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold)
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

That's the thing, most of us guys who buy those bikes are the same ones who can't operate a smart phone. And they just keep on adding more tech. How big is the manual for that thing now? :gig:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc

Return to “General Chat”