How many members have children and take them for rides?

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Tonyvdb
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2017 Victory Vision
1996 Voyager (Just sold)
1981 GPZ 550 (Previous bike)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

How many members have children and take them for rides?

Post by Tonyvdb »

Im a single dad to two daughters aged 7 and 9, lost my wife to cancer a few years back. I bought a helmet for them and took them one at a time for a ride over the weekend. Both loved it and were very good riders (followed my instructions about moving around particularly while in turns).
How many of you take their children on rides?
2017 Gloss black Victory Vision
1996 Kawasaki Voyager Just sold
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Re: How many members have children and take them for rides?

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

We do ...we have two that go with us for rides. Our son is almost 9 and a daughter that is 7. They have helmets and enjoy riding with us. My wife rides a DL1000 Vstrom and my daughter usually rides with her and my son with me on the Voyager XII or HD. It is always an enjoyable time to ride around the lake or anywhere with them.

KB
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Well Tony, I do but my daughters are now 21 & 23 but have been riding with me off and on for the past 8+ years (sold bike before they were born so none before that). I do how ever also have 5 grand children and the younger ones (under 15 years of age) still love going for rides with pappy!
I too bought a youth helmet and they love it. As a matter of fact not too long ago I took my daughters boyfriends 3 1/2 yr old son for a small ride and he fell in love with motorcycles. Insisting that "that is my helmet for when Cot takes me on the motocycle!" He has a bit of trouble saying Scott so I'm not Cot when he's around, and it's ok with me! I'm fortunate enough to have arm rest on my Voyager so the kids feel safe and set up with the biggest smiles on their faces. Sometimes they want to talk but forget that they're smaller than me and the helmet muffles their little voices but it's all good!
:clap: Hats off to you for sharing such a wonderful experience with your girls.
Love the photo too! :thmup:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

My son is soon to be 11 and he enjoys riding with his dad on the voyager. His mother, the love of my life, also enjoys riding when she can. I've tried talking her into buying small bike for her to ride, but she isn't keen on the the idea. Anyway, another three years and the boy can get his restricted permit and perhaps his own bike.
Jim
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
Tonyvdb
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1996 Voyager (Just sold)

Post by Tonyvdb »

Thanks for the responses so far :thmup:
I do my best to include them in most things I do and now as they get older I want them to feel that they are part of this new adventure. I just picked up this bike a bit over a month ago and have not ridden much in between this bike and my old GPZ550 that I had in my young adult years.
Good Times!
Mart656
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 voyager (sold)
1999 voyager

Post by Mart656 »

I have a sixteen year old and he rides with me on a regular basis. We are talking about taking a road trip next summer. I am thinking about getting him his first bike this year and then let him graduate up to the Voyager xxi when he turns 18. And I can get another for myself. I am sure he will go for a ride but I hope to be able to take my wife for a ride while we are there. :woohoo: ;-)
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

Although my three step daughters all liked to go for rides,most of my longer trips were for me and the wife to get a few hours alone.
I told my granddaughter when she could reach the floorboards I would take her for a real ride (not just around the neighborhood). When she was about 11 or 12 she finally made it.After that we would take 50 to 100 miles trips every chance we got.Of course she would always fall asleep on the back seat ,but the trips were enjoyable anyways.
96desertXII
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1996 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by 96desertXII »

My kids have always ridden with me on my bikes. Now with my youngest being 30, I'm looking forward to the grandkids going for a ride. :thmup:
Chuck & Ruthie
1996 Voyager XII (89K and climbing)
1989 FLHS (sold)
2009 FLHTCI (sold)
2005 FLHRI (sold)
2003 FLHTCU (sold)
1978 GL1000 (sold)
1978 CB750K (sold)
1958 FLH (stolen)
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Before I had a touring bike I rode my son on the back of my Honda 200. He was 4 then and I had modified foot pegs for him. That was 1985. I rode my first grandson for a lot of years on my ZRX1100. Now I have ridden that same grandson, now 16 on occasion on my Voyager. I have done my best to take their lives very seriously and taken all the precautions one can take when transporting a child on a bike. So far I have not had an incident where anything has gone awry. My second grandchild, Cherie has never shown interest in riding a bike. But I am so happy to report after having 4 grandchildren, the last one looks to be the one who has been bitten by the motorcycle bug. Taylor, age 7 learned last month to ride her brother's Kawasaki KDX50 dirt bike that he has had for 4 years and barely ridden. I want to report that she went from never riding anything two wheeled to riding competently in 3 hrs. After that she rode for hours till she had blisters on her hands and enjoyed every minute. Now all I have to do is ask if she wants to ride and she is out the door with her helmet in hand. Now she is doing stunts on it on the two acre back yard. I would like to think it was due to my excellent instruction but concede I may have created a monster....
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

Glad to hear so many of you are / have introduced the offspring to motorcycling ! My son and all his buddies learned on small trail bikes on our property, and now are full fledged riders. The boys have a couple of rallies to their credit and will become members as this years rally ...really impressed them ! Youth is the future of any organization :thmup: ..............................tony :-D Image
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
tregal16
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by tregal16 »

My daughters have ridden a few times with me for short rides but they don't seem interested in riding any more other then for trips to town etc... my youngest son (who is 5) WANTS to ride but I am concerned that he is to young just yet (can't touch the floorboards etc) but when he does get big enough I have many plans for weekend getaways or longer :) :clap: I have taken him on short rides through our patch but I am leery of any further at the moment.
If it is worth having, it is worth taking care of...

2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

tregal16 wrote:My daughters have ridden a few times with me for short rides but they don't seem interested in riding any more other then for trips to town etc... my youngest son (who is 5) WANTS to ride but I am concerned that he is to young just yet (can't touch the floorboards etc) but when he does get big enough I have many plans for weekend getaways or longer :) :clap: I have taken him on short rides through our patch but I am leery of any further at the moment.

WOW tregal16....what a flashback ! You have every reason to be "leery" of taking a young lad of that age out for a ride ...of any distance :-O .....We all know what happens to children on car rides..... they tend to doze off ! I experienced this a long time ago with my son. Pleaded with me to take him for a ride on my old goldwing... then when I noticed him dozing off... it was time to stop for a soda pop ...... and then "bungy" chorded us together, even though he said it was'nt needed ! "father knows best" applied here !...........tony :-D
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
sheiserman
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1989 Voyager XII
Been liked: 14 times

Post by sheiserman »

I have an 11 year old daughter that likes to go for short trips. Subway is a favorite stop for her. She rides very well and doesn't fidget around. I promised a trip to the Mississippi River, and she hasn't forgotten it yet. Her first time out she found the passenger controls for the radio. I was unaware of that and was none too happy when the radio seemed to just do whatever it wanted.

My oldest daughter (19) and I just returned from a quick trip to Colorado. She loves to ride. Nothing bothers her, and she couldn't be a better passenger.

I like to ride alone, but would never tell either of the girls no to a request for a ride. It's making memories.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

sheiserman wrote: It's making memories.
:thmup: And there isn't anything better between a dad and daughter than great memories!
I applaud all parents who participate in activities with their kids, single or married, one child or a dozen, being involved is the key.

Tonyvdb - you are doing wonderful and hats off to you! And don't be afraid of wearing pink if they want you too! My 23 year old still loves it when I do her fingernails cakes I do wild things and get creative using a tooth pick or pin to add accent colors/stripes/shapes. I just can't do their hair.
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Tonyvdb
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1996 Voyager (Just sold)

Post by Tonyvdb »

Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote: Tonyvdb - you are doing wonderful and hats off to you! And don't be afraid of wearing pink if they want you too! My 23 year old still loves it when I do her fingernails cakes I do wild things and get creative using a tooth pick or pin to add accent colors/stripes/shapes. I just can't do their hair.
LOL, so true. Ive let my girls do my nails once and it was disaster but so much fun. Thankfully nailpolish remover works.
Letting them help me cook or do renovations is always fun as well. Going to go for a ride again this weekend with them.
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by suzib6sw »

I have taken Dominic (now 10) a few times on the '86 and Emily (8) wants me to take her.
I did do some checking back when.. Although there is no actual "Law" in VA, The police, and I prefer that the Kids can reach the foot rests to give them that bit extra stability..

Being able to hear them with the intercom also adds that little bit of "Grin factor" as they cry "Wheeeeeeeeee" too

:-)
Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
the2knights
Board Member
Board Member
Current bike(s): Current 1999 Voyager XII 1993 Voyager XII 2005 Harley Road King
Past 86 Voyager XII Honda SilverWing Honda CB900Custom Suzuki GS1000 Yamaha 80
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by the2knights »

I have teenagers and still go for a ride whenever possible. My daughter is now stationed at Fort Campell, but have been down a couple of times and we always squeeze a ride in (of course that also means I am buying dinner on that ride). My son and I try to get to a few local dirt track races here in Indiana and always enjoy the ride as much as the races!
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

I put riding aside for 13 years while my kids were 2 and 4 years old. It was an activity that took me away from them and I wanted to spend as much time together as a family as I could. We got into camping, hiking, travelling. Camped in 24 states as a family.

When they got older and started doing their own thing, it was time for me to get back into riding. I did expose them to dual sport riding, but neither one got the fever which I am actually grateful for. Riding has become very dangerous in todays environment of distracted drivers. You have to be on top of your game to survive out there.

Just today I encountered three drivers halfway in my lane while messing with their phones. I have learned to hug the white line when going around blind corners and when encountering oncoming cars.

If this wasn't such an addiction with me I would probably give it up and get a motorhome. :hmm:
2010 Voyager 1700
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 4 times

Post by NSASarge »

When I had my 05 Nomad 1600, I used to take my grandson to his summer league baseball games. He was the catcher. How cool was it to show up for the games on a motorcycle! My two grown daughters have been on rides with me, but it's not their cup-o-tea. I have three teenage grandchildren, Megan 14, Jason 16 and Ricky 16. They are always ready for a ride. I also have 2.5 others that wil not be ready for a few more years. All 2.5 are boys.
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI