Frightening sound

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Frightening sound

Post by hank43 »

At the beginning of a recent trip with our local chapter, I noticed a loud knocking sound, very much like a connecting rod bearing. I was really scared that this was a major thing, and started wondering how I was going to get the trike, my wife, and myself back home, some 550 miles away. I envisioned taking a plane home, loading up my truck and custom built trike trailer, and then driving the 550 miles back to retrieve the trike. I asked our ride leader Don to take a listen, to see if he could determine the cause, and whether or not the beast was safe to ride. Although it did sound like something in the engine, He determined that it was probably NOT a bearing, but something else. I didn't think so, but on we rode, both of us thinking of what it could be. A gas stop later proved Don was correct, I discovered a missing screw on the air cover, top right side. This beast has the lungs of a Titon, and when she breathes, she gulps many cubic feet of air, and that weird air cleaner arrangement on the 1700's offers just enough restriction, that the beast was sucking air from around the edges of the air cover (right side, directly in front of the Venturi) That caused the air cover to bang up against the cylinder, creating the bad rod bearing sound. As it happens, our motel for the night was directly across the street from the local Kawasaki dealer, so the next morning, I was the first customer in line at the parts counter. This shop did not have this missing screw, but the parts guy did print out a sheet giving the metric size of the missing screw, which ACE hardware DID have,so I got 2, plus lock washers (which Kaw did NOT have installed on any of the aircovers, either side) just in case. Screwing this in, and tightening up the other 3 loose screws fixed all my noise problems. Helps to have a mechanic along that knows his stuff!

hank
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
grumpin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2000 Kawasaki Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Frightening sound

Post by grumpin »

Awesome! Glad that worked out well!
Dane
2000 Voyager
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Lucasind »

....Glad it turned out well ! Being far away from home and having unknown issues like that ,can sure throw a wrench into the workings of a fun ride.
I guess "alls well that ends well" applies here.
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Lucasind wrote:....Glad it turned out well ! Being far away from home and having unknown issues like that ,can sure throw a wrench into the workings of a fun ride.
I guess "alls well that ends well" applies here.
You are absolutely correct, things like this can destroy a really cool trip.
So, What did I learn from all of this?

1. Things ain't always what they seem
2. The 1700 is built to be smooth and strong, but sometimes it's weaknesses can be revealed by something as simple as a missing screw -

Moral:
Many years ago, I owned British bikes, and was constantly plagued with screws falling out due to vibration, One tends to get sloppy and careless when your new machine is so smooth, and apparently trouble free -
Go over your bike at least once every few months and tighten down EVERYTHING -

hank
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”