Possible First Voyager

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

inspectorbutters
Current bike(s): 76 cb750
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Possible First Voyager

Post by inspectorbutters »

Looking at an 84 Voyager 1300 with 59k miles on it today. Anything I should look for in general when checking it out and also how much life should I expect it to have left with proper maintenance. Will be my first 6cyl bike

Thanks
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 222 times

Re: Possible First Voyager

Post by Me Again »

With proper maintenance there are a number of 1300's in the 200000 mile range .
With 59000 miles ,make sure the cold start is good. Ask the owner if he's had the valves set recently. ,as the valves wear it gets harder to start until it wont start at all . Just so I don't scare you away ,my brother had more than 200000 on his without ever setting the valves.(proper maintenance)
Watch the temp gage , they tend to run hot but you don't want to get in the red.
Check the inner fairing for cracks ,it's heavy and if not kept tight it bounces until it cracks.
It's a big heavy beast ,but it rides like a Cadillac on the hwy .The digital dash and trip computer are a real treat
Other than that check the things you would check on any other bike.
inspectorbutters
Current bike(s): 76 cb750
Been liked: 0

Post by inspectorbutters »

Picked it up yesterday. Only $800 it needs a rear tire and the screw on part of the antenna. But other than that it is all there and starts great. I will be spending today cleaning it up and I will post some pics
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Me Again »

Welcome .
You have the greatest bike ever built.
go to kz1300.com to get the manuals.
You need both the KZ and the ZN supplement manuals
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by trikebldr »

Butters,
I am new here and late to your thread, but wanted to add my experience to maybe boost your confidence in your new bike.
I just picked up an '85 1300 last week with 43k miles. Engine sounds great and everything works well except the clutch, but the overall bike needs some TLC to look perfect again.
You make me green with envy at the $800 deal! Wish mine cost that little.
Over 25 years ago I had an '83 with a sidecar. Bought it new and took excellent care of it. Never one little item gave me trouble! Just kept it garaged and covered, did oil changes religiously, coolant changes every year, three sets of tires, and got over 200k miles out of it before it was t-boned. About 90% of those miles were pulling the sidecar and a small trailer and were on the wide-open road. Not much city riding. Had the KZ street version for that.
Just keep everything adjusted and clean and it will probably run forever!
Now, let's see some pics of that bike! Like they told me earlier today, they all just LOVE to see pics here!

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”