December Travel from Arizona to Georgia????

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

December Travel from Arizona to Georgia????

Post by kjsett »

Hi All. :help: :help:

Probably silly to ask this question: :bat:
My better half wants to be in Atlanta, GA the 4-5th of December (business). We are currently exploring travel options. There's the usual: airplane (just her-least cost); Cager (drive with her and keep down the overall time/cost, but still more money and me just along as a driver; or take like 10 days and ride the bikes. Last one is my favorite, but i am a little on the nuts side anyway.
Problem one: her bike is not as protected as my ZG1200 (hers is a VN800 vulcan with just a large windshield), so she is more exposed to wind and weather.
Problem two: road conditions across NM, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and George the first week in December.
Some rain understandable, but what are the likelyhoods of ice and or snow (freezing temps). :cold:

Odds are, we will probably just send her, but I thought I would ask all these wonderfully informed (opinionated) people who may live in those areas. :bowdn:

We used to live in the panhandle of Florida (2003-2006), so have a feel for that time of year there, but it can be a whole lot different just north of the Florida line.
Thanks for any response,
Ken

PS. Crossed my mind she could ride behind me, but she has her own bike because of the wind buffeting issues (one reason) and i haven't gone to a larger windshield since she rides her own.
If You Can See Me - There I Am
Ken & Shelley (Harley the dog now in heaven)
Ken - '03 Voyager XII - Shelley - '97 Vulcan VN800A
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
grumpin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2000 Kawasaki Voyager

Re: December Travel from Arizona to Georgia????

Post by grumpin »

Ken, I can't really comment on the roads or conditions, but I can on the 800 Vulcan, I had an 05. That was the coldest bike I ever rode. Even with a big windshield! We can ride in some pretty cold temps up here and it may not be a good comparison. I don't know what is was about that bike. My KLR was better. Just a thought. I don't know if you could find some lowers to deflect wind or not. Sounds like a fun ride.
Dane
2000 Voyager
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

grumpin wrote:Ken, I can't really comment on the roads or conditions, but I can on the 800 Vulcan, I had an 05. That was the coldest bike I ever rode. Even with a big windshield! We can ride in some pretty cold temps up here and it may not be a good comparison. I don't know what is was about that bike. My KLR was better. Just a thought. I don't know if you could find some lowers to deflect wind or not. Sounds like a fun ride.
Klamath Falls - cold and wet memories. April '12, my first long distance ride on my '03 XII (w/trailer). Stopped for gas and it started blowing and spitting cold rain (on my way to Portland/Vancouver area), and I was trying to put on my warm and rain gear and got pretty cold (under gas station cover). Going over the pass to Eugene it was even spitting some snow as the temp's dipped to 34f per gauge. :cold: Finally stopped after riding through heavy rain as far as Albany. (GOOD TIMES) :clap:
But then I knew what I was getting into as I rode out of Springfield (Eugene) from '87 to '92 on a 78 Yamaha XS1100 (with fairings and luggage).
I rode her bike last month over to Albuquerque and back, temps never got below the 50's and yes, alot of air comes up around the gas tank and up the body under the chin (can't wear my 1/2 helmet as too much wind in the eyes). :windy:
Thanks for your thoughts. Like I said, a long shot as the priority is to get my spouse to Atlanta in good shape (and home again). We have some latitude on time as we could leave as early as the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but the more time on the road, the greater the motel expenses. Plus two bikes combined mileage I figure at about the same as her car :tired: . Warmer and cheaper on my bike 2-up, but she doesn't like the helmet buffeting. :cry2:
Later, Ken
formerly: 1965 Honda CB50; 1972 Honda CJ350; '80 Suzuki GS450L; '79 Yamaha XS1100;
grumpin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2000 Kawasaki Voyager

Post by grumpin »

:gig: That sounds like K. Falls! :cold: :windy: Summers are wonderful though, and so much to explore around here. Did that on the KLR. That's tough, I'm getting crippled up, so I would probably drive. I absolutely loathe flying airlines anymore. If I don't have to, I won't. Enjoy whichever way you choose!
Dane
2000 Voyager
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

Put the wife on the plane and you hop on your Voyager!!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

debron wrote:Put the wife on the plane and you hop on your Voyager!!
I have suggested that :gig:
:Cball
We Shall Seeeeee? :devl
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Back to the request, December in Louisiana is often cool but not cold. October through December is usually our driest months. If you ride I-10 you will probably find that through Louisiana it will be rougher than most of the other southern states but not terrible. We reserve our terrible roads to two lane highways. If you plan on coming this way I would love to meet you guys and you can grab some Cajun food while in the area. Then you can understand why we are so fat here. :wnk2:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
kjsett
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
2009 Suzuki Vstrom DL650

Post by kjsett »

Ok,
The reason for the ride is out. She isn't going this time, maybe later.
Now I am juiced for a ride, oh well, maybe I will find some other excuse to go.
Thanks for your responses,
Ken
:thanks:

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”