Decals

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ewilberg
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Decals

Post by ewilberg »

So on my 2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS the "6 Speed" decal is already wearing off on my 2011 i bought new with one mile on it in July of 2013. So 3500 miles and its wearing off and I am hearing from other forums that this seems to be a common problem and Kawasaki has no fix for it other than replacing the bad air box and engine decals with just the same defective ones. So what is the fix for this? I do not want to continue to replace bad for bad.
Thanks,
Eric Wilberg :tho:
so I bought an air box cover off the vaquero. Tell me what you think
http://s759.photobucket.com/user/ewilbe ... t=3&page=1
Thanks,
Crash
boscoe
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager

Re: Decals

Post by boscoe »

ewilberg wrote:So on my 2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS the "6 Speed" decal is already wearing off on my 2011 i bought new with one mile on it in July of 2013. So 3500 miles and its wearing off and I am hearing from other forums that this seems to be a common problem and Kawasaki has no fix for it other than replacing the bad air box and engine decals with just the same defective ones. So what is the fix for this? I do not want to continue to replace bad for bad.
Thanks,
Same problem here. Looks very CRAPPY. :dm:
2011 Voyager 1700
Ebony/Pearl Meteor Gray
Bridgestone Exedra Max tires in stock sizes
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 10W-40
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

ewilberg wrote:So on my 2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS the "6 Speed" decal is already wearing off on my 2011 i bought new with one mile on it in July of 2013. So 3500 miles and its wearing off and I am hearing from other forums that this seems to be a common problem and Kawasaki has no fix for it other than replacing the bad air box and engine decals with just the same defective ones. So what is the fix for this? I do not want to continue to replace bad for bad.
Thanks,
Hey ewilberg;

I plan on completely removing ALL decals from any part of the engine, that may get hot on my 2009 Voyager. I think that the heat is what makes the decals look bad. I had an engraver lazer etch "103 Ci" on both my air cleaner covers, looks a lot better than the decals anyway.
BTW, where in Fair oaks are you? I'm in Foothill Farms, drop me an email.....
hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700

Post by NSASarge »

Since my bike is still under warranty, I had the dealer order the new ones for me. I stopped in to pick them up with my car and they immediately wanted to put them on themselves. Since the round center disk is simply held on with doubleback tape, I told them I would do it myself and they seemed OK with that. Still have them in their plastic bags in my garage. I may just polish out the airbox covers and leave them chrome. HOWEVER, if I do decide to put them back on, I would first put a coat or two of adhesion promoter followed by 3-4-5 coats of clear. That may help keep them looking good.
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI
Retired Thomas Built Bus
Retired
1700Guy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2010 Voyager 1700
1982 Honda 500 Silverwing
1981 Honda CB900C

Post by 1700Guy »

They do not replace the air box just the decals. If I am wright as long as you have the bike they will replace the covers. I do not know why they have not come up with a fix yet I hope they will. but in the mean time it is not that hard of a job to change out. I think if we all started complaining to maw Kaw which not that many people have done yet they might fix it for good start making calls to Kawasaki customer service. there number is 1 949 770 0400 That is the main Kawasaki USA in Santa Ana CA. If we are quiet nothing will happen. If we all start letting know our feelings mayby we can make a difference.
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700

Post by NSASarge »

FYI ... My dealer ordered complete new air box covers. They arrived without the center disks. They installed the new air box covers, then, ordered the new center disks. They were afraid that removing the disks would bang up the covers. The disks are thin metal, held on with double back tape. As I said, I'm keeping the disks in their bags and will polish out the covers. IF I ever sell the bike, I can pass the disks to the new owner.
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI
Retired Thomas Built Bus
Retired
MNBK
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Blue/Silver Voyager

Post by MNBK »

I have the same issue and just ordered some decals from Purple Iron. I got some made to fit the center and will put on tomorrow. It should clean up the air boxes and give a different look.
Dave Smith
AMA, BK, CMA
2011 Blue/Silver Voyager
Iron Cowboy
Current bike(s): 2007 Vulcan Classic 1500
2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700

Post by Iron Cowboy »

What is the best way to remove the decals completely leaving a good looking finish?
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Champion Trike

Post by hank43 »

Iron Cowboy wrote:What is the best way to remove the decals completely leaving a good looking finish?
On the airbox covers ONLY ('Cause that's all I have done at this point) use a piece of plastic to pry off the thin disks that also have the decals on them. The plastic will keep you from scratching the chrome air covers. They will bend up and look pretty bad when you do get them loose from the double backed tape. Unless you are extremely careful, you won't be able to use the discs again, they will be too bent up. Clean the excess tape"goo" off the cover with acetone. Also, pouring acetone thru a crack in the top of the discs while prying with the plastic will help soften the glue, and make it come off easier. Do wear safety glasses or goggles while doing this, don't ask me why. Of course, cover as much of the bike as you can, so the acetone does not reach any painted surfaces. I performed this operation while the covers were still attached to the engine, it makes it easier to pry with the plastic pry.

After all the goo is off, and the cover cleaned with acetone, allow the acetone to dry completely, then remove the covers and polish on a bench or pedestal buffing wheel. Don't mix different colors of buffing compound on the same buffing wheel, it causes scratches. Buff with a medium compound, change wheels, then buff with the finer compound. I also used paste wax when completed in an effort to keep the covers shiney.

These covers were chromed plated at the factory, but not buffed in the center because they knew that the decal-disks would be applied. My theory as to why the decals were applied to those thin disks is that the double sided tape isolates the outer thin disk from the cover, thus keeping some of the heat off the decal - it almost worked! Anyway, when it's all done, those chrome covers look way better than the decals, and the heat will never get to them again -
You could finish the project up by having the covers lazer engraved with "103CI" or something similar....
Hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

Hank - post a photo of your covers......
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
Iron Cowboy
Current bike(s): 2007 Vulcan Classic 1500
2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700

Post by Iron Cowboy »

Thanks Hank I will give it a try.
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Champion Trike

Post by hank43 »

debron wrote:Hank - post a photo of your covers......
As requested: J These photos taken at 11:00PM after a long ride, so lots of bug matter and who knows what else, too tired to clean it up, that's a Sunday project! :gig: :gig:

hank
ewilberg
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS

Post by ewilberg »

MNBK wrote:I have the same issue and just ordered some decals from Purple Iron. I got some made to fit the center and will put on tomorrow. It should clean up the air boxes and give a different look.

So which decal(s) did you get?
Thanks
Eric
Thanks,
Crash
Danny
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager

Post by Danny »

Hank, I like your fix. When mine on my 2011 get bad enough, I'll takem off, and polish the covers.
MNBK
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Blue/Silver Voyager

Post by MNBK »

I got the eagle with the flag P-173 is the part number. I had them enlarged to fit the center oval of the air box. They have been on since my original post and I have not had any problems. They are just as new looking as the day I put them on.
Dave Smith
AMA, BK, CMA
2011 Blue/Silver Voyager

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”