An appeal for parts

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

An appeal for parts

Post by trikebldr »

It would seem that the "grandfather" ZN1300 Voyager is a fairly rare beast, with about a 10:1 ratio of XII's to 1300's. Parts are getting hard to find, even used ones. I hate seeing these bikes show up on eBay as parts lists.

I recently bought my second one and have had to replace a few parts. I've learned that water pumps are becoming a very hard system to replace. Also, fuel pumps, regulators, throttle position sensors, DFI units, ignition parts, etc. The seals on the water pumps are impossible to find, especially the mechanical ceramic one and the plastic drive gear.

Some systems can easily be replaced with generic versions from automotive speed suppliers, like the fuel pump and ignition coils. The engines are bullet-proof and only need to be fed, cooled, oiled and ignited to run. All four systems can be substituted if necessary to keep the bike on the road. It just takes a bit of work and research. And that's what I am trying to do. I am dedicated to keeping as many of these bikes off of eBay as parts donors as possible by developing substitute systems.

What I need is old parts to dissect to determine what's inside. The fuel pressure regulator is one item. I need one to cut apart. I might be able to make up parts to rebuild them. Also, the crankcase breather "switch", and the ignition pickup sensors. Not much we can do about the DFI control unit, or the ignition controller. I would pay for shipping for a bad fuel pressure regulator or the breather "switch" (smog valve).

Right now I am working on a remote electric replacement for the water pump, a stand-alone (not tied into all the other digital systems!) distributor system, a remote electric oiling system that can even pre-pressurize the engine before cranking. The fuel injection may be a bit harder to substitute, but there are several after-market speed supply systems that are adjustable enough that they might work.

For now, got a bad fuel pressure regulator or smog valve? I want it! Even a non-functional DFI unit might be repairable.
sillybiscuit
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII.
1998 Custom Harley Davidson Softail FLSTC. (Evo)
1985 Suzuki Cavalcade.
1968 Harley Davidson FLH (shovelhead)
Been liked: 0

Re: An appeal for parts

Post by sillybiscuit »

I have some new old stock chrome and lights and saddlebag guards for the 1300 if youre interested
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 220 times

Post by Me Again »

Someone found an adjustable pressure regulator that fit .Try kz1300.com .
Actually try kz1300.com for much of what you are looking for.
The original owner of the site was big on finding replacement parts for the beasts.
The site has changed a lot but I believe most of his ideas are still covered.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

As old as the 1300 is finding parts is going to be hard. Parts are scarce. You might put some ads out on Craigslist to purchase someone's old non running 1300 for parts. I am sure there are still many in garages and barns. I knew a guy who had 2 sitting on his back screen porch in Florida for years and didn't do anything with them. I know it sounds drastic but IF you intend to keep and ride it you may have to stoop to extreme measures.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”