Question on radio

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

bratski2
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki voyager 1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Question on radio

Post by bratski2 »

When I bought the bike and delivered in 40 below zero weather the radio worked fine. I have power and channels but no sound. It is not set on HS but I cant get any of the buttons to work now. Volume control goes up and down fine but no sound. I click the mute button on both my Christmas tree and passengers but with no avail. Sent it to mechanic and after he was done with mechanical tune up it didn't work but he said he wasn't anywhere near the radio.
Honestly the sound from these radios are gr8 and enjoyable going down the road. Would love to get it working again.
Does anyone know my problem or someone who works on these?
Thanks All
Neal
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager, 2002 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Question on radio

Post by Neal »

most of the time that means the passenger control mute button got pushed. Check it. :tho:
Dealer for all Air Rider products, and Nolan helmets and headsets.
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Sometimes the 7.5 Amp fuse at the amplifier is bad, or the connection to the amp may be corroded. Just a thought.
Dave
Highway Rider
Webmaster
Webmaster
Current bike(s): 2003 ZG1200 Voyager
2006 VN900
1978 KZ650 D1 SR
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Highway Rider »

This is an issue that I had with mine, and this will also go into the way the switch works and is built. This may work and it may not be the problem to the issue at hand. So here is what was going on with mine.
When I was going to the rally in Estes Park Co, the sound would cut in and out but when I would push the mute button in, so the white line on the re button was flush with the black case, it would not cut in and out, and was soft, but if you ramped up the sound almost all the way you could hear it, but it was not real loud. But as soon as I pushed the button to unmute it the sound would be loud but still cut out.

So I removed the two screws that hold the switch case on the handle bar, and lifted the mute button out of the case. The I proceeded to remove the switch out of the case, and then removed the black piece from the white case that has two locking tabs on the side. After removing the black piece I saw that there was a brass piece that had two contact points and the black had two other contact points. So with the black piece removed I tried the radio, low and behold it worked the way it was supposed to. So put the switch back together and the sound would start to cut in and out. Took it apart again and the sound was back.

Started looking the switch over a little closer and trying to understand and found out that if you
took a piece of wire and touched the two contact patches on the black part it would mute and as soon as it the wire was removed it was back to normal. I found the the tolerances were so close that the white part that slides back and forth under the black piece would not slide far enough to disengage the contact points of the black piece. So I found that the white part of the case where the red button protrudes out of, there was a small roll of the white case that was holding the button in just enough that it would still make contact with the contacts on the black piece therefore making it cut in and out. So I took a utility knife an scraped the roll off of the white case and put it back together an low and behold it worked. Jut not enough travel distance to disengage contact points, that's how close the tolerances are, it was such a small roll. Really hard to see.
On final assembly I put some dielectric grease on it.

So this may or may not work but worth a try. Could be the front switch or the rear switch or both.
Webmaster
Jim & Karol
2003 Voyager XII
IBA #57976
IBA 1500 miles in 24 hours
IBA 1500 miles in 36 hours
IBA 1000 miles in 24 hours
It's not the destination, It's the ride

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”