Bad starter button and fog light ground

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

rwdking
Current bike(s): 1992 Kawasaki voyager xii
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bad starter button and fog light ground

Post by rwdking »

Hey just curious I have an issue with my start button and fog lights its a bad ground somewhere because I can only start in neutral with the clutch lever released until I bounce the front tire and the fog lights flicker while riding just curious if anyone knows where to look first to save me time.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 222 times

Re: Bad starter button and fog light ground

Post by Me Again »

rwdking wrote:Hey just curious I have an issue with my start button and fog lights its a bad ground somewhere because I can only start in neutral with the clutch lever released until I bounce the front tire and the fog lights flicker while riding just curious if anyone knows where to look first to save me time.
Are you saying that after you bounce the front tire you can start the bike in gear? :lol:
Seriously,it's probably you clutch lever safety switch not disengaging .A little 3 in 1 oil should take care of that.
The fog lights are probably a bad connection someplace.
rwdking

Post by rwdking »

I'll check the safety but I thought they were connected because it was in the same right handle that controls both but even in neutral when I hold the clutch in it wont crank until I bounce the front end I have tomorrow off so I will be taking a look
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

rwdking wrote:I'll check the safety but I thought they were connected because it was in the same right handle that controls both but even in neutral when I hold the clutch in it wont crank until I bounce the front end I have tomorrow off so I will be taking a look
I would also check the harness coming from the ignition switch.The bouncing front end is causing something to move temporarily fixing your problem.Without bouncing the front end,turn the bars while holding the button and see if it starts.
rwdking

Post by rwdking »

It does not and I also wiggled the leads coming from the controls and it did nothing until I bounced
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

You lost me
disconnect the fog lights and trace those wires back to wherever they are connected
Highway Rider
Webmaster
Webmaster
Current bike(s): 2003 ZG1200 Voyager
2006 VN900
1978 KZ650 D1 SR
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Highway Rider »

This is for the starter not working. If it will start in neutral with the neutral light illuminated the it could be one of two switches. The first one is the one for the clutch it can be removed and taken apart and and see if there is any corrosion from water getting in side if so clean it up and put some dielectric on it put it back together and see if that works and if it does then that would mean the the switch is not moving in enough to make contact to allow it to start with the clutch pulled in and in gear. There is also another switch on the side stand that will kill the bike if the side stand is down and in gear and clutch not pulled in. If it is down when you try to start the bike it will not start until the clutch is pulled in and as soon as you start to let the clutch out the bike should die if the side stand is down. But I would tend to believe that if the side stand switch was bad it would kill the bike just as soon as you dropped it in to gear whether the side stand is up or down. So I would start with the switch that is on the clutch.
The problem that I had a few years ago although it started out as an intermittent problem that was causing my cruise control to all of the sudden to droop out and I was not even able to resume it. Then after while it would work. Then it got to the point that it would not start while it was in gear but put it in neutral it would start. The clutch switch was bad. Took it apart cleaned it up put it back together and it worked.

This may or may not be the problem but is is a place to start the process of elimination.
Webmaster
Jim & Karol
2003 Voyager XII
IBA #57976
IBA 1500 miles in 24 hours
IBA 1500 miles in 36 hours
IBA 1000 miles in 24 hours
It's not the destination, It's the ride
rwdking

Post by rwdking »

The starter issue was a bad connection I cleaned them and the work fine the fog lights are a positive wire issue to the fuse box. I'm going to trace the wire and solder in a new one when I get a chance thanks for leading me in the right direction
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by Me Again »

Glad you figured it out.I was beginning to get more perplexed that you. :clap:

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”