carb problems 96 voyager

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

biker22
Current bike(s): 96 Kawasaki voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

carb problems 96 voyager

Post by biker22 »

I have a 96 voyager 1200. Just bought it. Wasn't used last year. It has 37k miles. I thought it was dirty carbs. so I took them off and cleaned them. The problem I am having is the engine doesn't want to come down off of a rev. Kind of an erratic idle also. I rev it up and it stays revved for awhile. Before returning to a idle. Especially when going thru the gears. Not good. I can watch the carb linkage and it snaps right back like it is supposed to. I also cleaned the slides, so that is not the problem. and the diaphragm gaskets looked good also. I was just checking the vacuum lines and I think that might be my problem. Since I moved one of them and it seemed to come back down fine. But that was when parked. Under a load on the road it was still acting up. But not as bad. Now I am thinking trace those vacuum hoses. I know some of you guys have some input. I would appreciate it. Problem 2 the clutch slave cylinder is leaking. still works but drips. Do they make a rebuid kit? I have to get it figured out I am planning on going to Montana soon. Thanks so much Chris in white bear lake, Mn.
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: carb problems 96 voyager

Post by triton28 »

The 4 rear mounted vacuum lines are blanked off on Canadian models, so you could try that as a diagnostic test.
K&L make a rebuild kit for the slave cylinder, their part # 32-0158.
Dave
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

The clutch slave cylinder, (down under the transmission cover) just clean it up & it has a seal to replace very simple, do not push seal in past engine hsg.. it also has a bleeder fitting on it. The lever & master cylinder assy has a kit to rebuild it, fairly simple.

The carbs & vac lines can be tricky unless you are experienced with them, a call to Carl Leo would be a good idea, he has rebuilt many and knows where to clean & look for crud that stick to the inards.
doug of no fla
biker22

Post by biker22 »

Hi Doug I got the carbs fixed. something about the spring that works the two inner carbs, from the outer ones, that have the vacuum hosed attached to them. I still have the drip from the clutch slave cylinder. Is there a certain place you get the rebuild kit from or is it just a seal. Do you usually get the parts from the dealer. Just checking. Thanks for your help. I want to fix it before I take my trip to Montana next month. Happy and safe Riding. Chris
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by doug of so fla »

Several ways to get the seal, I would get one from Carl, but you should be able to get it at or thru a dealer, or if you take it out you can match it up at a brg & seal place or size it off the web. The clutch slave is just a seal & clean.
doug of no fla
biker22

Post by biker22 »

Thanks but I know nothing about Carl. The name of his business, phone number or website would all be very helpful. so you think it is just a seal? It is leaking brake fluid not oil. You will believe this I guess. I just got off the phone with the local Kawasaki dealer, Parts department. The kid didn't know what or where the clutch slave cylinder was or is on the bike. So he is going to call me back, LOL ?? He did find a master cylinder. so I told him follow the hose south. Thanks for the help. I am going to ride it up to Pequot Lakes. I just brought some fluid along just in case I need it. Thanks again Ride sober and safe!!! Chris in WBL Mn.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Carl has no website, he is a retired master mechanic who worked for Kawasaki. He is also an owner of Voyager XII's. Carl has two that I know of he's owned since new, "I have a 91 with 319k and a 96 with 226k - Carl Leo"
His email address is VoyagerParts@BellSouth.net and his phone I believe is 731 . 738 . 1204. He lives in Florida so he is eastern time zone. Carl is an amazing person who has been a friend to all Voyager owners for as long as I've owned an XII and much longer. Give him a call and if he don't have it or can't get it he will advise on where to.
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by doug of so fla »

Sorry Chris, I did not get to your post untill now as I was out riding, Here in Fla. this time of year we get up early and go riding before it gets hot or rainy or both. I have a different phone# for Carl if you have trouble reaching him. 386-898 -7659. Did not reliaze you were kinda new here. If you wander around the website you can find about anything you want to know on a XII here. There are PDF files to get a manual or links to get pn#'s on a parts fiche. Just ask for anything you need and someone will help you, and before long you will be helping others, great place to get to understand your XII. Use the "Search" feature and you will come up with just about anything you need on the XII.. Best investment you could make for yourself and your XII is, join the AVA and you will have access to everything you will ever need for your XII.

I am familier with WBL as I was born & raised in Mound on Lake Minnetonka, Lived right at AL & Alma's if you know where that is.

Ride Safe & enjoy your XII this summer in MN!!! (both Days of it) lol!!!
doug of no fla
biker22

Post by biker22 »

Thanks for the help the employee at Hopkins hitching post was lost when I asked him about the clutch slave cylinder. So I will get that fixed. As for the trip up to Pequot Lakes. The bike ran good. Is that true some one has over 200k on one of these 1200 Voyagers?? Anyway thanks again and ride safe. Chris in WBL, mn
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

biker22 wrote:Is that true some one has over 200k on one of these 1200 Voyagers?? Anyway thanks again and ride safe. Chris in WBL, mn
There have been many that passed the 200K mark, and some notables that went over 350k.

Bill O
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by doug of so fla »

Bill O wrote:
biker22 wrote:Is that true some one has over 200k on one of these 1200 Voyagers?? Anyway thanks again and ride safe. Chris in WBL, mn
There have been many that passed the 200K mark, and some notables that went over 350k.

Bill O
Carl has put a couple in the 200,000mi+ range. I have had three well over 100,000mi each that I sold and served new owners well & 1 is still partially running after 3rd owner crashed it & Carl revived it from a total loss.. My 02 was perfect at 138,000mi when I traded it. Someone got a great XII, I would still have one if they mfg'd the XII. The XII is the best kept secret in motorcycling. imho...
doug of no fla

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”