Flashing brake light module

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Mapper
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Flashing brake light module

Post by Mapper »

Hi all,

I want to adda module to my '11 Voyager but the top box lights arre LED and I believe the brake/running light is not. Anyone done this or changed the brake/running light to a LED?

Gary (Ottawa Canada)
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Re: Flashing brake light module

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

Brake and running lights are LED also...Added one from Kuryakyn to my Road King with full LED's and it is really a nice unit. I would look to something like this to make it a true plug and play situation.

Kevin Braddy
IPVMC President
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Mapper wrote:Hi all,

I want to adda module to my '11 Voyager but the top box lights arre LED and I believe the brake/running light is not. Anyone done this or changed the brake/running light to a LED?

Gary (Ottawa Canada)

Gary;
I own a 2009 Voyager (trike) and I just put the flasher module on the top box, really stands out, get lots of compliments on it too.

hank
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tantasquit
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2013 Vulcan Voyager

Post by tantasquit »

I realize the original posting is a year old, but I wanted to mention that I just added a brake light modulator to my Voyager trunk LEDs also. Pretty straight-forward installation and very favorable results.

I have used modulators costing $45 on previous bikes because of incandescent bulbs. The LED version by superbrightleds.com only cost $4.95, so I bought three of them. After the Voyager, I added one to my car's third brake light and will install the remaining module on my wife's car.
Superdave54
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager
1980 Goldwing Standard

Post by Superdave54 »

I used a Skene Design module on my 2012 Voyager. It is made for LED's, and has a "conspicuity" flicker built into the tail light circuit as well as a flasher for braking. Here is the link:

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_150.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".
Mapper
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager 1700

Post by Mapper »

It's taken some time but I finally got a GS-100A LED flasher to install. Has anyone installed this unit on the 1700 Voyager?

The problem seems to be that there are 3 wires feeding the brakes (trunk and main brake light) and that as I believe the top box light is also a running light? There is a 5 wire connector feeding the rear light and turn signals. According to the service manual, the Back/Yellow is a common chassis ground for both brake lights and the signals.

That leaves a Red/Blue/Grey and Green. The Grey and Green each feed a different signal light and the Red also feeds the licence plate bulb so that makes it a constant power. By elemination that would leave the Blue as the brake switch signal??

Having only a Red & Black line in and out of the GS-100, I am thinking that I would interupt the Red on the Red and the Black on the Blue lines and that should activate both the top and main brake light????

Thanks for the help and all thoughts are appreciated.

Gary
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

I added Skenedesign lights on the sides of the License plate. They are run/brake, and flash. Wanted extra lighting and didn't think everything needs to flash. Don't want the guy behind me having a seizure and running me over. :thk:
2010 Voyager 1700
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

To do the top box one wire is ground, brake, tail light. Connect to the ground and brake light. The middle wire is tail from what I recall. Use a test light to confirm. The lower light will still have 3 wires. You can tuck it in where the connector is in the trunk by removing the floor pan.
Mapper wrote:It's taken some time but I finally got a GS-100A LED flasher to install. Has anyone installed this unit on the 1700 Voyager?

The problem seems to be that there are 3 wires feeding the brakes (trunk and main brake light) and that as I believe the top box light is also a running light? There is a 5 wire connector feeding the rear light and turn signals. According to the service manual, the Back/Yellow is a common chassis ground for both brake lights and the signals.

That leaves a Red/Blue/Grey and Green. The Grey and Green each feed a different signal light and the Red also feeds the licence plate bulb so that makes it a constant power. By elemination that would leave the Blue as the brake switch signal??

Having only a Red & Black line in and out of the GS-100, I am thinking that I would interupt the Red on the Red and the Black on the Blue lines and that should activate both the top and main brake light????

Thanks for the help and all thoughts are appreciated.

Gary
keith
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2014 Kawasaki voyager abs

Post by keith »

beware when tapping into braking light wiring!! when installing license plate that had built in running light leds brake light leds..worked fine for a few months,,then my cruise control went out...major pain trying to figure out what caused that.turned out was wires tapping to rear brake light..short in leds..see post under cruise control problems...just saying,if your cruise goes out down the road later,disconnect whatever you have spliced into with brake lights,may correct problem...
namkraps

Post by namkraps »

tantasquit wrote:I realize the original posting is a year old, but I wanted to mention that I just added a brake light modulator to my Voyager trunk LEDs also. Pretty straight-forward installation and very favorable results.

I have used modulators costing $45 on previous bikes because of incandescent bulbs. The LED version by superbrightleds.com only cost $4.95, so I bought three of them. After the Voyager, I added one to my car's third brake light and will install the remaining module on my wife's car.
Ordered one and installed it.You have 3 wires for the light mounted in the trunk (red, blue and black with a yellow stripe). Hook the red input wire by cutting the blue wire and taping together, tape the output red wire to the other part of the blue wire and ground the black wire. If you use the red wire your tail lights will flash only when you turn the key on.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to
and including their life.'

Doug S.
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

namkraps wrote:
tantasquit wrote:I realize the original posting is a year old, but I wanted to mention that I just added a brake light modulator to my Voyager trunk LEDs also. Pretty straight-forward installation and very favorable results.

Ordered one and installed it.You have 3 wires for the light mounted in the trunk (red, blue and black with a yellow stripe). Hook the red input wire by cutting the blue wire and taping together, tape the output red wire to the other part of the blue wire and ground the black wire. If you use the red wire your tail lights will flash only when you turn the key on.

Went to Superbrightled website, can not find these modules...Where are they listed?

Hank43

Found It! Got 2 just in case!

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”