TPS Tool

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

samootin
Current bike(s): 1984 zn1300 voyager
1979 z1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

TPS Tool

Post by samootin »

Hi all,

I'm in a position where I can reproduce the TPS Sensor tool. As we all know this tool can no longer be purchased and if there is one around people are asking really supid money for them. For example I've heard someone wanting to pay nearly $500+ for one.

It's a great tool to have to make sure that the TPS is operating correctly and that it's setup in the right position so I think if I get about 20 people interested in one I'll go ahead and get them made.

The cost will be $300 AUD plus shipping so let me know if you are interested.

Cheers,

Michael
ledupat
Current bike(s): 1300 kz, Le Mans 4, 850 xs
Been liked: 0

Re: TPS Tool

Post by ledupat »

Hi Michael,

Are you still in a position where I can reproduce the TPS Sensor tool ? I live in France and if you a ready to send it to me I would be very interested .

Best regards,

Jean-Luc
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Can you post a picture of what it looks like? Must be some tool to cost so much. I hope I never need one.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by trikebldr »

Mr Jensee wrote:Can you post a picture of what it looks like? Must be some tool to cost so much. I hope I never need one.
Mike, I used to have one but let it go with my old '83 about 20 years ago. All it does is set the throttle position sensor correctly to feed info to the fuel injector control module. If you have the patience you can set it even more accurately by doing some test riding after a few adjustments. I found that the tool doesn't really get it dead on like they say. All it does is get it close enough to meet most riders expectations, but mine responded much better to a few re-adjustments. once the sensor is set correctly you CAN scribe a line around it to use in the future. I've cleaned and rebuilt three injector assemblies so far and just used scribe lines and a couple of test rides following tiny adjustments. If you ever do take yours apart, just make a scribe line around it and put it back EXACTLY as it was. It should run pretty good without any more fussing. But, if you mix and match sensors and injector assemblies, then you are starting out all over in getting it adjusted.
The only reason one sensor won't mount up exactly like another is because they have a wire-wound rheostat inside and those wires aren't consistently laid in place enough to make them identical.
The tool certainly isn't worth that much unless you run a Voyager 1300 shop! Carl could probably make one pay for itself over time. Me? I wouldn't own another one! Not accurate enough to suit me.
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by trikebldr »

FWIW to anybody interested. I just did a google search and I went as far as almost clicking the "Order" button on BikeBandits for Kawasaki Part No. 57001-1003, throttle position sensor adjustment tool. It appears to be in stock, unless they wait until they have your money to tell you they don't have it. Their price is about $160.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 220 times

Post by Me Again »

I think I can safely say it is on permanent "Back Order"
They were almost impossible to find 10 years ago .
It can be done with a VOM but off hand I do not know were the instructions are.
The most common fix is to drill a small hole in the top and bottom and use contact cleaner and a little air.
There are only a few people I would trust enough to set a TPS even with the tool as it can be screwed up very easy.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”