Transmission noises

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

kawasakigeoff
Current bike(s): 2010 Vulcan Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Transmission noises

Post by kawasakigeoff »

My 2010 Vulcan Voyager is on blocks both wheels off the garage floor. I started it to let the oil circulate during winter storage and when warm shifted thru the 6 gears. Hardly any noise in first gear just a tinkling sound. Shift into 2nd and a grinding like noise starts along with the tinkling sound. As I go up thru the gears the grinding noise gets louder but stops if I pull the clutch in. Into overdrive and it is very loud and if I pull the clutch in and let it out it clunks at clutch engagement. Pull the clutch in and the noise stops. The last time I rode it there was a loud whining with dropped throttle in any gear which stopped if I pulled the clutch in. If I open the throttle the motor stumbles before picking up and the noise gets louder but this only happens in overdrive still with the wheels off the floor. Approx. 40K miles on the bike and run on Amsoil 20-50 with oil changes every 5K. Any ideas anyone.
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Transmission noises

Post by HMB Don »

20-50w is to thick of oil for the 1700. Use the Amsoil 10-40w. I tried the 20-50 Amsoil for one oil change on my Voyager1700 way back when I had 5,000 miles on the ODO. I felt a lot more heat from the clutch area and it shifted slower with more effort on the shift lever. I now have 140,000 showing on my ODO and no transmission problems, plus I pulled a time out trailer fully load for 15,000 miles in the summer of 2016. Do you have the extended warranty? Kawasaki just sent me a letter for an additional 3 years for $680.00, yes I took it.

Good Luck
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Post by doug of so fla »

You have no load on the engine or gears!! You are creating a problem that can do severe damage to your drive train unless you know exactly how to run it in this manner, even then you can do damage.

It is designed to run with a load.
There are stacked tolerances and all of them are capable to just bounce around with no load on it. Even with tires on it, it is not good to run it like this while on the center stand unless you are very careful and know exactly how to do it and all M/c's act differently under these circumstances, and if you in fact do have a problem it will absolutely manifest them.

Suggest you check it out when all together as designed and go from there if you find a problem.

Hope you do not find anything wrong.. Ride Safe.
doug of no fla
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

.. thanks, my first thought, but not a wrench and didn't know how to respond!
Besides, Ya ain't supposed to drive it with the tires off the ground!!!! GBG
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
kawasakigeoff
Current bike(s): 2010 Vulcan Voyager
Been liked: 0

Post by kawasakigeoff »

Thanks everybody especially Doug. I hope I have not damaged the drive line. I ran it that way because of the loud whine that I experience when slowing down with dropped throttle. It stops as soon as you accelerate. It has whined since new and not because the drive belt is too tight.
No testing for a while it is still winter here in Manitoba, Can.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

... gear whine is normally caused by gear lash and is a mechanical tolerance thing...
The first thing I would try is different oils.. Synthetic, to me, is mandatory, and
oil weights are also impoportant... Ya might try heavier / lighter weights....
I'd go for heavier.....

Don't know what you are running, but while problem determining, If'n I were you,
I'd put a crankcase of Mobil 1 motorcycle oil it it... yup, real spendy, but if it
works...... once a year? Maybe worth it... JM2C

... and yes, opinions are worth every penny Ya paid!!! GBG You will get a
LOT of ideas... from what I've read, Amsoil is another that you will see posted....

Best to Ya!!!!!
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”