Air Wings ?

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Air Wings ?

Post by Van Voyager »

Anybody out there use Air Wings ( plastic panels that 'clip' on to the edge of the fairing to redirect air). My Voyager came with a set. I thought they would be great for redirecting air towards the driver but I find they catch too much wind and want to blow off (the bottom clamp blew off once and I lost the clamping hardware - Air Wings were kind enough to fix me up with new hardware). Are they supposed to be used as above or only to direct wind away from rider/passenger?
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Air Wings ?

Post by Bill O »

Are they the dual wings? Or single? If dual the upper is for the driver and the lower to comfort the passenger. If single, the primary use is for the rider. Turn them out in the winter to keep you warmer and turn them more in during the summer to give you some air flow. For me the best benefit is in the cooler weather. I use my windshield vent during the hotter weather for my comfort and "neutral" the wings (bypass-straight). But, turn the lowers to aid passenger comfort. Just experiment. Bottom line, the Airwings work, and work great!

Bill O
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Thanks Bill. They're a 'single' set - probably from before they figured out they could sell more than one set. If I turn them out (to direct more air towards me), they catch a lot of wind and I'm worried they'll blow off. I'll need to do some more experimentation but there's not much holding the rubber trim piece (which the Air Wings clamp to) to the fairing.

I wish my windscreen had a vent as it gets dreadfully hot on a warm day. My next windshield will have one but there's lots of life left in this one so it'll be in service for a while yet.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

wish my windscreen had a vent as it gets dreadfully hot on a warm day. My next windshield will have one but there's lots of life left in this one so it'll be in service for a while yet.

... install one? IIRC, I've seen ones that you could install.... little cutting.. etc..
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

cranky wrote:... install one? IIRC, I've seen ones that you could install.... little cutting.. etc..
Hi Bill. Have you got a link to any of those?

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”